• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchester '73 Magazine Tube

Unfortunately, correct. 10 round limit on tubes, unless it's a shotgun (5 shells), .22 (no limit), or preban (no limit).

''Large capacity feeding device'', (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term ''large capacity feeding device'' shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

Thanks, MAJoe.
It’s legal. It holds 10 rounds of .357 Magnum.
you can load 17 rounds of short Colt in it but it’s still a 10 round 357.
I’m sure someone can clarify this.
Same goes for 10 round of 45 Colt. You can jam a few more schoffield in there and the same for 44 mag and special.

I see plenty of lever guns for sale in MA with 10 round tubes that hold 11 of the shorter cartridge.

Go buy one!

It’s legal. It holds 10 rounds of .357 Magnum.
you can load 17 rounds of short Colt in it but it’s still a 10 round 357.
I’m sure someone can clarify this.
Same goes for 10 round of 45 Colt. You can jam a few more schoffield in there and the same for 44 mag and special.

I see plenty of lever guns for sale in MA with 10 round tubes that hold 11 of the shorter cartridge.

Go buy one!

Interesting! I assumed that if it functions with both, it was a no go. Clearly jamming more 38spl in 44 mag tube will fit more than 10, but doesn't matter as it won't function/fire.

Interesting! I assumed that if it functions with both, it was a no go. Clearly jamming more 38spl in 44 mag tube will fit more than 10, but doesn't matter as it won't function/fire.

I may have written that hastily but you get the point
10 - 44 mags is 11 - 44 specials
10 - 357 is 11 - 38 special

If the gun is tuned up right and the bullet used of a proper design you can shoot either or. I have a Marlin chambered in 44 special that I set up a carrier to feed 44 special and Russian. It’s pretty easy.

I may have written that hastily but you get the point
10 - 44 mags is 11 - 44 specials
10 - 357 is 11 - 38 special

If the gun is tuned up right and the bullet used of a proper design you can shoot either or. I have a Marlin chambered in 44 special that I set up a carrier to feed 44 special and Russian. It’s pretty easy.
Yep! Got what you meant. It's nice having the options

'Large capacity weapon'', any firearm, rifle or shotgun: (i) that is semiautomatic with a fixed large capacity feeding device; (ii) that is semiautomatic and capable of accepting, or readily modifiable to accept, any detachable large capacity feeding device; (iii) that employs a rotating cylinder capable of accepting more than ten rounds of ammunition in a rifle or firearm and more than five shotgun shells in the case of a shotgun or firearm; or (iv) that is an assault weapon. The term ''large capacity weapon'' shall be a secondary designation and shall apply to a weapon in addition to its primary designation as a firearm, rifle or shotgun and shall not include: (i) any weapon that was manufactured in or prior to the year 1899; (ii) any weapon that operates by manual bolt, pump, lever or slide action; (iii) any weapon that is a single-shot weapon; (iv) any weapon that has been modified so as to render it permanently inoperable or otherwise rendered permanently unable to be designated a large capacity weapon; or (v) any weapon that is an antique or relic, theatrical prop or other weapon that is not capable of firing a projectile and which is not intended for use as a functional weapon and cannot be readily modified through a combination of available parts into an operable large capacity weapon.

'Large capacity weapon'', any firearm, rifle or shotgun: (i) that is semiautomatic with a fixed large capacity feeding device; (ii) that is semiautomatic and capable of accepting, or readily modifiable to accept, any detachable large capacity feeding device; (iii) that employs a rotating cylinder capable of accepting more than ten rounds of ammunition in a rifle or firearm and more than five shotgun shells in the case of a shotgun or firearm; or (iv) that is an assault weapon. The term ''large capacity weapon'' shall be a secondary designation and shall apply to a weapon in addition to its primary designation as a firearm, rifle or shotgun and shall not include: (i) any weapon that was manufactured in or prior to the year 1899; (ii) any weapon that operates by manual bolt, pump, lever or slide action; (iii) any weapon that is a single-shot weapon; (iv) any weapon that has been modified so as to render it permanently inoperable or otherwise rendered permanently unable to be designated a large capacity weapon; or (v) any weapon that is an antique or relic, theatrical prop or other weapon that is not capable of firing a projectile and which is not intended for use as a functional weapon and cannot be readily modified through a combination of available parts into an operable large capacity weapon.

Confusing, in the sense that large capacity weapons are not a big concern in MA, just if you have an FID or when you fill out the FA10. From reading this, you could have a low capacity weapon, but it runs afoul of the large capacity feeding device definition.... If I am reading correctly.

Confusing, in the sense that large capacity weapons are not a big concern in MA, just if you have an FID or when you fill out the FA10. From reading this, you could have a low capacity weapon, but it runs afoul of the large capacity feeding device definition.... If I am reading correctly.
Don’t try to understand it. No one does. The rules bend back around on themselves more than my father’s family tree.

Back
Top Bottom