• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchester Ranger SXT's - Law Enforcement Ammo

There's no "legal issues" about any brand of hollowpoint ammunition in MA.

If I could get Win Ranger more easily I would carry it more often. I usually end up carrying Speer GDHP, or Rem Golden Sabers. Win Ranger RA45T in .45 is especially interesting... it's cruising right along for a standard pressure .45 load. I think out of a 5" 1911 I chronoed it going almost 900 FPS!

I also carried the win ranger DEA contract stuff in my .40 S+W handguns for awhile, but I basically have run out of that
stuff. That was good ammo, too.

-Mike

I carry 147 grain Winchester Ranger Bonded (RA9B) or 147 grain Speer Gold Dot in all my 9x19 pistols.

I've never had any Rangers. Federal makes a hell of a round in their Hydra Shocks. I have Speer Gold Dots and those Federals. The Federals have a hell of a lot more of a mouth on that hollow point and looks like it could open up some hurt on your insides. Haven't really researched any ballistic tests vs eachother but my naked eye prefers Federal.

The Federals have a hell of a lot more of a mouth on that hollow point and looks like it could open up some hurt on your insides. Haven't really researched any ballistic tests vs eachother but my naked eye prefers Federal.

Thats what I first thought, then I started searching. Apparently when the jacket peels back on the Ranger's, it does so in such a way to create "fins" that also act as cutting edges when penetrating soft tissue. Add this on top of good expansion/mushrooming, and it might be the difference that makes the round more of a stopper.

Do a few google image searches and you'll see what I'm talking about.

But then again, I'm not even close to a ballistics effort.

I don't carry it, given my b-rammed LTC and all... but I do keep 2 mags of .45 loaded with it for home defense.

I purchased it in MA, and from what I was told from an employee of the gun shop, it was formaly known as "Black Talon". He claimed "Black Talon" rounds were banned, so they renamed it SXT to stand for "Same Exact Thing"

I don't know if this is crap or not, but either way, I got 20 rounds on stand by, 16 of them in mags.

I believe they only ban carry, not ownership, of hollowpoints, but I could be wrong.
If you are transporting HP in NJ, you need to be on your way to a range. I know someone who was handcuffed and taken into custody for possession of HP in his luggage until they confirmed he was on his was to a range.

I've never had any Rangers. Federal makes a hell of a round in their Hydra Shocks. I have Speer Gold Dots and those Federals. The Federals have a hell of a lot more of a mouth on that hollow point and looks like it could open up some hurt on your insides. Haven't really researched any ballistic tests vs eachother but my naked eye prefers Federal.
You should. Hydra Shoks usually perform the near the bottom in terms of expansion/penetration.

There a lot more to bullet design than how they look. Otherwise, ammo companies would not hire smart engineers to work for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should. Hydra Shoks usually perform the near the bottom in terms of expansion/penetration.

Depends on which "hydra shock" you're talking about. Some of the older stuff is bad (for example, the old .45 ACP .230 load they had was basically expensive FMJ) but the new Fed Tactical stuff tests pretty well.... if you can find it.

-Mike

I purchased it in MA, and from what I was told from an employee of the gun shop, it was formaly known as "Black Talon". He claimed "Black Talon" rounds were banned, so they renamed it SXT to stand for "Same Exact Thing"

Beware. Winchester liberally uses the term "SXT" on a bunch of ammo. Not all of that ammo is good ammo. The "consumer" SXT in the black boxes is usually crap. Win Ranger (with the part numbers RAxxx) is the real successor to the talon line. FWIW, I wouldn't even bother with black talons at this point, unless you're an ammo collector.
Win ranger is usually cheaper and uses a newer generation bullet design.

-Mike

I've been fortunate to come by Ranger-T series & Black Talons for almost everything I carry (.380, 9mm, 357sig, 357mag, 40S&W, & 45...even got some BT's for 10mm & 44mag). From the research I've read, they have a decent track record. I've also seen some favorable results on Fed Hydra Shocks as well.

Back
Top Bottom