Winchester Super Target

greencobra

NES Member
I found an 8lb keg of WST powder on the bottom shelf of my bench recently. Of course I want to use it and was happy to see some recipes for pistol loads in .40 s&w as well as .45 acp in one of those Winchester reloading pamphlets, #14 is the latest I have. So I loaded some test rounds of 40 using a 180gr FP starting at the lowest load given progressing to max. These loads felt "weak" if you know what I mean, all of them. Even with the max loadings I didn't get the zippy loads Ive come to expect from a 40, factory or my 231 handloads. I saw no excessive signs of pressure. I didnt chrono them but will the next time out. These were headspaced properly but one thing I noticed is the spent primers were not flattened out which is something all primers seem to do in a 40. Anyone who shoots a lot of 40's has noticed that. So hopefully I explained this well enough so my question is regarding the WST, does anyone have experience using this in metallic cartridges who has experienced the same thing? Can someone share any loading data they have found successful with this powder?

I've used it for heavy bullets in 9mm (147's). All the data at Hodgdon won't get you to major pf (165000 PF). Some people make major with it with lead/moly/poly bullets. Others use it for 40 minor (125000 PF). Take a look at the Enos Forum. Just make sure to look at OAL because many of the 40 loads there are for LONG to run in 2011's.

I've used WST at 5ish grains with 165 gr fp rainiers. It's a plinking/minor load no issues I like to keep velocity low with plated. For something major...I'd not use wst. I'd use power pistol or something like that.

I've also used it for light loads in 45. Like 4.2 grains under a 230 RN rainier would still cycle the 1911 or g30

Standard disclaimer...if u blow up your gun or yourself it's not my fault.

Last edited:
I use WST in my Para 40 Longslide and also a five inch Para 40 and have no problems making USPSA major with 165 and 180gr bullets. This stuff does burn fast, however. I got no increase in velocity when I switched from a five in barrel to a six.

I use WST in my Para 40 Longslide and also a five inch Para 40 and have no problems making USPSA major with 165 and 180gr bullets. This stuff does burn fast, however. I got no increase in velocity when I switched from a five in barrel to a six.

Please disregard the above. I was referring to Titegroup, not WST. I have used WST in 45 ACP and made major with no pressure signs in a S&W M&P.

Might you share your recipe with me. Would you be using a 185 swc?

I don't use SWC. My recipe is:

- Federal Large Pistol primer
- 4.5gr WST
- Berry's or Rainier 230 plated bullet
- 1.250" OAL

All the usual precautions apply -- check your loading manuals and online sources. Start low and work your way up. No, I haven't chrono'ed it in a while.

If you are loading 185 SWC, you might want to look for some bullseye shooters. I'm sure they've got accurate pet loads.

- 4.5gr WST
- 1.250" OAL

All the usual precautions apply -- check your loading manuals and online sources. Start low and work your way up. No, I haven't chrono'ed it in a while.

If you are loading 185 SWC, you might want to look for some bullseye shooters. I'm sure they've got accurate pet loads.

Nice, thanks. I just cracked open a box of Berry's 230 plated bullets. I'll give this a try this week. I'll bust out the chrono (hopefully it still functions) and see where it stands. Again, thanks for the load.

- 4.5gr WST
- 1.250" OAL

Tried this load out this morning in 3 of my .45's.....S&W E series 5", Norinco 1911, and Colt Combat Commander. Shot super in all with the tightest group from the Norinco. Can load a lot of 'em with that lost 8 pounder seeing daylight again.

Tried this load out this morning in 3 of my .45's.....S&W E series 5", Norinco 1911, and Colt Combat Commander. Shot super in all with the tightest group from the Norinco. Can load a lot of 'em with that lost 8 pounder seeing daylight again.

Excellent.

You're looking at over 12,000 rounds, enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom