Winter Crate Project

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Thanks to mac1911 for letting me know about this abandoned crate....looks like it held a keyboard or something similar. Under the carpet and foam is 1/4" plywood. I need to strip it, clean it, and maybe reinforce it. I will definitely add a 1 inch skirt underneath so it will fit securely on top/within the area of my hitch tray as it is much to big to fit inside; OD is 59"x23"x10." Will easily fit 10 rifles as shown....when I have 10....only 6 loaners now for my WW2 group. Let's see what I can do with nothing more sophisticated than rechargeable drill. I might be able to re-purpose the curtain boxes that were in our house when we bought it.

I'll also have to hide a couple of subtle brackets on it as I won't be able to mount the stick reflectors on the tray.

t

Attachments

Last edited:

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
at this point, you are better off trying a power planer. It would remove more material, but it doesn't smear all that glue all over. I hope that glue does not soften with heat.

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I am extremely limited with respect to space and tools. Only electric tool is the sander; also battery drill and screwdriver. I'll literally be in a basement corner trying to keep curious cats out of it. I'll probably have to buy a little hand band saw to rough out the spacing insert blocks.

t

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Didn’t have much energy after three hours of yard work. Raked Leaf bags 49-52 (2 more than last year) and cut the grass for the last time.

Used a spackle blade to remove the foam. Now I need to find out what will take our the glue and foam remains. I have acetone and mineral spirits I can try.

Going to be a long, dirty job.
t

Attachments

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I figured it could at least be used as a template.
If you did not grab it I would have possible salvaged the hardware ? It was heading to the dumpster anyway

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Two steps forward, one step back. Experimented with acetone and mineral spirits. Acetone dissolved everything into a black slurry which I scraped away with a wide plastic spackle blade. Wiped it up with paper towels. Unfortunately when the acetone evaporated, it left a sticky residue. Wondering if I can just paint over that....or try something else.

I'm going to look back over a two month post and say "what an educational project on the cheap". [rofl2]

t

Attachments

Last edited:

fshalor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Shoot I'm late to thread.

If you ever have to clean that much funky gunk off on future, I've had luck with dry ice and isopropyl alcohol. It usually takes adhesive off cleanly.

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Tried a bunch of stuff. The 2 cans of Goof Off got a lot of glue off, but not all. Tried turpentine, rubbing alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide; no good. Then out of desperation I found 3 cans of Easy Off oven cleaner. That got enough off so I could paint over it. Sander helped a little as well.

t

Attachments

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I'm going to have to paint the inside as well....the plywood is in the rough and impossible to get all the glue off. Got a lot off. 1/4" balsa filled the gap where the carpet was between the top and bottom. Next up sand/paint the inside and then start fabricating the dividers.

t

Attachments

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Done for now. Inside painted, added an old box and board, and installed and painted the hasp, and handles.

Recharge the drills for tomorrow. Then try to figure out the dividers.

t

Attachments

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
And done save stencils outside. Cut and secured dividers. Added a top strap retainer. Box fits 8 rifles instead of the 10 I’d hopes for.

t

Attachments

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Recover; this past week has been a hard one. On a large project I have the habit of putting my head down and bulling my way through it. Things are a lot harder since the heart attack. Cost came in about $145; the other crate shipped would have been $250+.

And continue on other projects around the house.

t

Last edited:

citoriguy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Did you do all that work indoors? If so, how do your lungs feel? It looks great though considering what you started with. You certainly have more patience than I do!

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Hey Tim, ah owner of the abandoned crate wants it back.............
i kid, even if he did he 'd get the one finger salute and hand the 2 yr storage bill we did not give him to him

Top Bottom