Winter Day hiking prep

EMTDAD

NES Member
Wife went hiking with a friend up in the Royalston area yesterday. Comes home late and tells me how they got a little disoriented and walked in circles.. Cold made the phone die, and luckily they came across a group of local hikers that showed them the way back.. The never panicked, but did get a little concerned...

I lectured her about being prepared.. leave a plan with someone, bring a backpack with some important shit.. Trying to come up with a list of emergency stuff to keep in the backpack...

knife
small flashlight
phone battery pack
a few bic lighters
granola bars
bottle of water
foil rescue blankets
extra hat/gloves
handwarmers/footwarmers

anything I'm missing?

she doesn't carry.. so maybe pepper/bear spray?

every winter "day hike" I have ALWAYS carried enough gear to spend the night, extra clothing, food, tent, sleeping bag, etc. Even if the day was warm and the forecast was clear. Also, map, compass (of course I know how to use both) and fire starting equipment (vaseline soaked cotton balls, matches, lighter, ferro stick and striker). And yes, Always leave a plan with someone with an expected return time. Also, always plan a shorter trip than daylight hours allow and know what time my "turn around" time is (AND STICK TO IT). Also, when I hike in cold weather my phone is on airplane mode unless I need it, fully charged when I start out and backup battery pack. Try to keep these from getting too cold. (does cold drain newer batteries like they used to drain the old ones?) I'm sure I am forgetting a few things. First aid kit always but mine is minimal.

I walk between 5-15 miles and almost always within an hour or two of a main road

water
toilet paper -
knife
acorns - cheap whistle
hat / gloves
cash - in case I end up near a store and am out of water
hand sanitizer
charged phone

I do a fair bit of hiking and the amount of asshats I see out on some of these trails especially ones that have a scenic view. With sneakers no backpack improper gear it’s ridiculous. Like some one else posted in mass if you keep calm and walk in one direction for a while you will find a road or house. In Maine or Adirondacks NH not so much.

Headlamp, compass, fire starting materials and a thermal blanket are a must. I would also take a wool cap, extra socks, a power bank, charging cable and hand warmers (can double as a way to keep power bank or phone warm), and perhaps a cheap pair of mittens.

Not sure “just walk in a direction for an hour” is a great winter hiking emergency plan. If you pick the wrong direction you’re hiking in bad conditions, fatigued, and with no daylight.

Not sure “just walk in a direction for an hour” is a great winter hiking emergency plan. If you pick the wrong direction you’re hiking in bad conditions, fatigued, and with no daylight.
Your right not a good plan but you can’t get to lost in Mass just not very much big woods like up north

my wife loves her Sunday hikes with the dog, but she (the wife) is a bit directionally challenged. trying to stay on the trail is a bit more challenging in the winter months.. weekend was an eye opener for her..

thanks for all the good ideas..

Trail Map
compass and knowledge to use it
Tinder for fire starting
Extra wool socks as primary will be sweaty - Dry socks keep you warm
Thermal layer
Headlamp beats flashlight

/thread. Especially the first two.

You only end up wandering in circles if you don't know how to navigate.

If you really love her Garmin Inreach... Best survival equipment is satellite communication to call in air extraction...

If you really love her Garmin Inreach... Best survival equipment is satellite communication to call in air extraction...

I almost mentioned this one. I have started to research these because we are moving out west next year and we plan to backcountry hunt. From everything I read, these are legit and a must have if you are going in deep and have no cellular. Not cheap, I think they start at $300. And you need a monthly subscription. But it is short money when your life is on the line. You can text with it, send your coordinates and I think you can contact emergency as well. I think this is what they used on the series Alone.

I was shocked at how susceptible an iPhone is to cold when I realized I could keep mine working when I was out hiking around here on some of the colder days these past few winters. Keeping it in a pocket closer to my body didn’t even seem to work.

my wife loves her Sunday hikes with the dog, but she (the wife) is a bit directionally challenged. trying to stay on the trail is a bit more challenging in the winter months.. weekend was an eye opener for her..

thanks for all the good ideas..

Maybe a GPS might be a worthwhile investment.

Bob

I almost mentioned this one. I have started to research these because we are moving out west next year and we plan to backcountry hunt. From everything I read, these are legit and a must have if you are going in deep and have no cellular. Not cheap, I think they start at $300. And you need a monthly subscription. But it is short money when your life is on the line. You can text with it, send your coordinates and I think you can contact emergency as well. I think this is what they used on the series Alone.

Not a bad idea. There was an nasty accident in front of me in Logan Canyon this summer (we were about 15 cars behind it). Drunk driver crossed the center lane and crushed a sedan head on. Witness had to drive almost 10 miles out a windy canyon road just to get enough service to call 911. Overall it took almost 45 minutes for emergency services to arrive on scene. One passenger (17yo girl) lost both legs from the knee down and is paralyzed from the waist down. GF and I hike a lot in that canyon, so we're looking to get one as well.

How did I ever make it out alive hiking in the Whites and in Maine from the Mahoosucs to Katahdin for decades without a mobile phone? [rolleyes]

Possibly you grew up doing such things? You probably don't give a second thought to natural navigation aides, though others may not be aware. Also bit of a moot point regarding cell phones- not much service in those areas.

Stats are ~200 lost hiker search and rescue missions in the Whites each year. Someone planning a 2 to 4 mile loop hike might be thinking quick walk in the woods- until a wrong turn puts them 2X deeper rather than back to their destination. I've hiked the 100 mile wilderness. The trail is a nasty obstacle course and in need of maintenance, at least when I was last there, so it's impossible to miss. It's pretty much stupid tax if one goes off trail and gets lost. Once off trail- that crap looks all the same and there are few clear vantage points to get your bearings. No doubt that trail traverses land that even the logging companies don't want to touch. Easy to see how some off trail exploration could result in someone getting seriously lost there.

I do agree that one should be adequately prepped for hiking- especially in the winter. Prepare to be stuck overnight just in case it happens. Also, even a marginal compass (and knowing how to use it) is 100% better than no compass at all. No harm in having a backup battery for a cell phone, but relying on only a cell phone is foolish. And no- the compass on a cell phone does not count as a compass, LOL.

this guy is worth it's weight. Fill it and have a lighter or matches in your pocket.

this guy is worth it's weight. Fill it and have a lighter or matches in your pocket.
I thought i was the only one that still used these

I actually got one as a gift when they first came out... something weird about having something lit and in your pocket.. haven't used it in years.

I know the fluid in zippo lighters will evaporate if not used in a while.. I'd guess these are the same.. I think the preference would be to have stuff in the bag that didn't need prep.. just grab the bag and go.. So I'd include a bottle of lighter fluid too.. then who needs tinder for a fire.. [devil2];)

Don't wear anything made of cotton. It loses all of its insulating ability as soon as it gets wet. Jeans and cotton socks are the worst possible items you can wear. Synthetics or wool are the best materials for insulation even when wet.

Compass. Probably the most important thing.

Especially here in Mass where all you need to do is walk in a straight line for an hour or two and you will hit a house or a road.
More like 15-20 minutes tops if you can keep a straight line in the woods which is difficult.

Back
Top Bottom