• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winter Projects

Not gun related but something I put off while doing various gun projects. Just completed some shoring up of my large Klipsch KLF-20 audio speakers. 2 X 200 watt Carver amps driving these. They are 102 dB efficient and move a lot of air, so a bit like earthquakes in a box which tends to knock loose the rear panels. All solid and tight now. Now I need to re cap one of the audio tube amps I built years ago. Maybe start on that tomorrow if the weather is still crap.

The 03-A3 is all back together. While I was waiting for the reamer, I applied 2 coats of RLO to the stock over the course of a few weeks.

Lighting in my basement sucks for good rifle pics. Hope to be able to sneak out to the range this week though; range report and pics soon.

Garand up next....

Last edited:
I still get credit for pulling the rabbit out of the hat.

And the rabbit was so big…
t

Attachments

• E4800D2B-D42C-45EA-831D-B7E49946BCE7.jpeg
    E4800D2B-D42C-45EA-831D-B7E49946BCE7.jpeg
    509.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Garand is back together.

I contemplated fitting and finishing the tiger stripe stock I bought a few years back, but decided to stay with my GI stock for now. That can be another project for later.

Father Franco re-barreled my 1917 a few years ago. I know he cuts them pretty tight. Considering running my reamer through that, this way all 3 of my 30-06 "games" rifles would in theory have very similar chambers. With the pull through reamer, you stop when the bolt closes - it's almost foolproof to cut them any deeper.

Carved out some time to hit the range today during lunch with the 03-A3.

Got there, gate was closed - which means no one else is there - awesome.

Get a target out, setup all my gear, dry fire, drop a round in - bolt won't close....

Packed up and got home. Mic'd a few rounds, looks good. Then it hit me, these were neck sized only for the old chamber - DOH!!!

Looks like I'll have to pull these apart, remove the decapper from my full size die and run them through. Good thing we're getting snow tomorrow.

Carved out some time to hit the range today during lunch with the 03-A3.

Got there, gate was closed - which means no one else is there - awesome.

Get a target out, setup all my gear, dry fire, drop a round in - bolt won't close....

Packed up and got home. Mic'd a few rounds, looks good. Then it hit me, these were neck sized only for the old chamber - DOH!!!

Looks like I'll have to pull these apart, remove the decapper from my full size die and run them through. Good thing we're getting snow tomorrow.
Wheres the pointy finger giggling emoji?
Hahaha
Just kinding ….. I lost count how many times I forgot the bolt!

Thinking about buckling down and digging into my late uncle's Winchester 1907 Self-Loading rifle (circa 1911) and fabricating a buffer out of some Delrin stock. I have about 100 old factory rounds (as best as I can tell they're factory), and just shy of 50 reloads made from 357 MAX brass. Already picked up a set of dies for this obsolete .351 caliber round.

351 win 3.jpg

I had a bunch of emails back and forth with the author of a monograph about this rifle, and he imparted some wisdom to go along with his personally inscribed book.

351 win 1.jpg

351 win 2.jpg

The Delrin idea came from a long search for any new old production buffers, but Numrich is fresh out, and many forums I trolled through had people asking for the same throughout the years. I even stumbled upon one forum where someone was asking for one just a week prior, and an old-timer offered up an extra he had in storage. He had to wait for his 50-year-old son to come by his house to retrieve it from a shelf with a ladder. He only had the one, however. So anyways, the Delrin came from emailing and then calling a gunsmith in California that loves working on these rifles (Winchester '05, '07, and '10). Apparently he gets them shipped in from all over the country. We had a great talk, and he not only sent me the dimensions to create my own, but also shipped me enough material to make at least a dozen of them, free of charge! I introduced him to the above author, so they can talk shop and compare notes on the intricacies of taking apart these guns. You need a lot of customized tooling, of which I've slowly been amassing and making.

TL;DR
All you gun guys are a great bunch, and I'm happy to be part of the pack, if only as a mostly silent observer. (Pictured below, this is as far as I can take the receiver apart without finishing up the rest of the tooling. Note the new buffer spring from Wolff Gunsprings.)

351 win 4.jpg

Last edited:
Thinking about buckling down and digging into my late uncle's Winchester 1907 Self-Loading rifle (circa 1911) and fabricating a buffer out of some Delrin stock. I have about 100 old factory rounds (as best as I can tell they're factory), and just shy of 50 reloads made from 357 MAX brass. Already picked up a set of dies for this obsolete .351 caliber round.

View attachment 561588

I had a bunch of emails back and forth with the author of a monograph about this rifle, and he imparted some wisdom to go along with his personally inscribed book.

View attachment 561589

View attachment 561590

The Delrin idea came from a long search for any new old production buffers, but Numrich is fresh out, and many forums I trolled through had people asking for the same throughout the years. I even stumbled upon one forum where someone was asking for one just a week prior, and an old-timer offered up an extra he had in storage. He had to wait for his 50-year-old son to come by his house to retrieve it from a shelf with a ladder. He only had the one, however. So anyways, the Delrin came from emailing and then calling a gunsmith in California that loves working on these rifles (Winchester '05, '07, and '10). Apparently he gets them shipped in from all over the country. We had a great talk, and he not only sent me the dimensions to create my own, but also shipped me enough material to make at least a dozen of them, free of charge! I introduced him to the above author, so they can talk shop and compare notes on the intricacies of taking apart these guns. You need a lot of customized tooling, of which I've slowly been amassing and making.

TL;DR
All you gun guys are a great bunch, and I'm happy to be part of the pack, if only as a mostly silent observer. (Pictured below, this is as far as I can take the receiver apart without finishing up the rest of the tooling. Note the new buffer spring from Wolff Gunsprings.)

View attachment 561593
That is an awesome project, and family history too!

So that .351 is like an extra long .357 Magnum?

Awesome, good to see old iron at least in a functioning state . My friend has several old guns from his great uncle all in well used condition and stored for the last few decades , not so well. I keep bugging him to go through them and see if they can be whole again.

That is an awesome project, and family history too!

So that .351 is like an extra long .357 Magnum?

The author of the monograph, after telling him the rifle's story and how I came to acquire it, described such family guns as "soul guns". I really liked that description.

The cartridge is about 2 Mediterraneans longer than a .357 mag. My readings tell me its creation was to both approximate and better the existing popular 40-72 black powder round. The .351 has the muzzle energy of 1385 ft-lbs compared to the 40-72's 1381.6 ft-lbs, and a much flatter trajectory being smokeless powder. It was truly believed to be the next best cartridge, capable of taking North American game up to but not including moose or grizzly at 150 yards, yet only one rifle was ever designed for it. The Win '07 became more popular with prison guards, police, US Marshals, and possibly Rangers, with a number of them being used for WWI by the French (but little record exists of its actual use/success). Bonnie and Clyde may have been aerated by a .351, though not confirmed. Baby Face Nelson did use one to murder Feds, however.

Does anyone know a good source of reproduction M1895 Nagant revolver grips? I remember a few years back there was someone in Russia making good quality reproductions of the WW1 grips with finer checkering. All I see on EBay is WW2 Soviet Era and the 1970s re-arsenal program/Russian Railway Police grips that Tula cranked out which are much rougher.

I was cleaning my 1913 Imperial marked Nagant after letting it be a safe queen for several years now and the mismatched re-arsenal Bakelite side panels to the worn wood front/backstrap panel are bugging me.

The 03-A3 is done.

Every Sunday I shoot in an offhand league, 200 yards, 20 rounds

I brought my A3 to shoot for fun on the last relay. Before that, I went over to the 100 yard range and shot a couple rounds from the bench to ensure nothing was gonna blow up. Off my feet at 200 yards the rifle seemed to go where I pointed it. Still need to get into prone to really see what it can do. I was shooting 125 TNTs, they are so smooth out of this rifle.

0B0A9A09-D7CC-496F-A901-B209E74B5928.jpeg

Last edited:
FINALLY got out and shot my Garand. It now has 15 rounds through it. I'll post the target in the Winter Warrior thread.

1oqDPSK.jpg

image.jpg So i have been waiting on some gun blue on back order,
I happen to be down Plymouth Water Front area and stopped in PlimothBay OutFitters and they had this
So finally get to finish up the 311 project.
Might finish up the barrel and call it done.
Ready for use again

I have not used perma blue and hope its good enough. I use Super Blue or OyxPho blue from briwnells
I have had good luck with all birchwood casey products.

Now if I could find some foaming bore cleaner

Well was not to happy with the touch up method so used the blue and rust mover to try a complete job. So im not trying to get it perfect and the blems will stay ,
Just clean and a quick freshen up
Well the perma blue was not as dark as super blue has been for me in the past. Its curing in dark cutting oil intil tomorrow night. It will often darken up after the oil cure

My 1919 is together, I was thinking of setting it up at OCSA’s next CMP. Maybe a best 5 round side match? I have no idea how accurate it is, all the rounds thru it so far have been function testing. Level playing field and all…

Attachments

• 3DA359D0-1028-4C3D-A190-A4A094250D84.jpeg
    3DA359D0-1028-4C3D-A190-A4A094250D84.jpeg
    494.2 KB · Views: 4
My 1919 is together, I was thinking of setting it up at OCSA’s next CMP. Maybe a best 5 round side match? I have no idea how accurate it is, all the rounds thru it so far have been function testing. Level playing field and all…
Awesome project- would really like to see that so be sure to haul it in to one of the upcoming OCSA matches. Don't be like that guy who won't show us his Johnson.
[rofl]

Well you could mount a scope on it, lol

Back
Top Bottom