• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winter Shooting Gloves

johnnymac101

NES Member
Any suggestions on a good pair of functional winter shooting gloves?
Hoping to do some shooting out in the fresh air through out the winter.

I'm looking into getting some Mechanix this winter and see how they work. Interested to know what else gets proposed here.

I bought a pair of the oakley combat gloves, not sure how warm they will be but they are super comfy, and in terms of dexterity they're awesome.

I bought work gloves from Home Depot for like $10 and they work awesome.

I use them working around my house outside, and also use them to shoot in the winter.

I was wearing a pair of leather gloves at the range this past weekend. Probably a bad choice if the temperatures are below freezing though.

I love Mechanix wear, but the non winter ones have no warmth and I find the winter ones too bulky for firearms manipulation. While not the warmest gloves, I have been using Outdoor Research PL 400s. They offer some warmth and are thin enough to work well inside trigger guards. Cabelas used to have a great pair of driving gloves that were very warm for how thin they were, but like all good things, they go canceled.

I got a pair of UnderArmor windproof winter gloves. They have some grippiness to the finger tips which could be either really helpful or a PITA. They weren't cheap ($35, maybe?), but I cannot stand cold hands. I'm going to give regular work gloves a shot on warmer days. This'll be my first winter shooting outdoors, so it's new to me.

I have used mechanix gloves mostly, they work well, but not as much trigger feel as I would like. I have also used nomex flight gloves, (about $20 from army navy GI joe store) these had a much better fingertip feel, but were not very warm.

I hear good things about FootJoy winter golf gloves, I looked at the nearby dicks sporting goods, but they only had regular golf gloves, not the winter kind. I plan on finding a pair soon

I've seen everything from Mechanix style gloves, Under Armor and people wearing various gloves from sports (Golf, Batting gloves, Football, etc.). I've used Leather gloves made for football and they worked really well. Anything thin enough so you can keep as much dexterity as possible will probably work as long as they fit right. IF they dont' fit right, they wont' help at all, and will actually make it worse. My biggest problem is large sized palms with medium sized fingers. I buy medium's most fo the time and squeeze into them, but they fit perfect in the fingers.

Go to a welding supply store and try on a pair of good Tig welding gloves. You can pick up a dime with these and keep your hands pretty warm and still have great movement.

mechanix gloves, or i have a shitty pair of baseball gloves that have lasted for years. i have accepted the fact that my finger-ginas are going to get cold if i shoot in the winter. the colder it is, the more likely that i am to have complete privacy at the range. i don't mind this. the cold sucks, yeah, but having the range to yourself is baller status.

Yeah the kind I bought at Home Depot, were pretty much those Mechanix gloves. Not super warm, no. They get the job done though.

Sometimes I have my wife blow in my ear at the range too while shooting. That warms me right the **** up.

I wear Outdoor Research Firemark Gloves and forund them to be great. They are expensive though. I bought three pairs last year, found them on-sale for $24.99 each

51LPvHMmGsL._SS500_.jpg

I have used mechanix gloves mostly, they work well, but not as much trigger feel as I would like. I have also used nomex flight gloves, (about $20 from army navy GI joe store) these had a much better fingertip feel, but were not very warm.

I hear good things about FootJoy winter golf gloves, I looked at the nearby dicks sporting goods, but they only had regular golf gloves, not the winter kind. I plan on finding a pair soon

Follow up:

Funny story, I Stopped at a Sports Authority somewhere in my travels, I don't even remember what location. I found the FootJoy winter golf gloves in my size. Took them to the register, the kid asked If I was doing some golfing this weekend. I firmly and simply said 'NO' and handed him my money. He had the funniest-confused-sad face you can imagine!

I tried on the wet/rain gloves as well, they are a vented/mesh material on the back of the hand, not a warm feeling material as the winter gloves. I haven't tried pistol shooting with them yet, but I used them on a very cold windy day at a action rifle match, and again at a sporting clays course. They work great. Warm enough to keep my hands from going numb, thin enough to work the controls, loading and unloading a AR15 and shotgun, as well as using pen, paper, clip board for scoring.

You can take a pair of mechanic gloves or the like, rub Vaseline on your hands, put on latex exam gloves then the mechanic style gloves over and be warm while still maintaining dexterity. I've done this while working outside on extremely cold days, beats wearing a glove that makes you useless.

Back
Top Bottom