Winter Warrior 2020 - 2021 Postal Match for Iron Sight Military Rifles

Mountain

NES Member
It's back!!! - WINNER PICKED!!!

c855322ceca274a36c88d96fd77bfd68.jpg

Prior years' Winter Warrior postal matches were great fun for me and hopefully for many of you as well. Let's do it again!

Iron sight military rifles only this time. If anyone wants to run a pistol / other type of match, I highly encourage you to do so. Part of the fun of this is seeing how different rifles perform on the same targets under same or similar conditions.

Rules:
  • To win fabulous prizes (LOL), entrant must be a NES green member.
  • Qualifying winter weather = snow cover on the ground and/or below freezing weather. Pile of snow somewhere on the range or range parking lot is good enough for me.
  • Iron sight military rifles only, in original military calibers. Anything from a Brown Bess to an AR or AK, but must be iron sights. Since stupid CMP now allows free-float AR's, they are OK for this match if you are a wuss. Kidding. OK, not really kidding [laugh] .
  • 10 shots per target. Any shot completely off paper? Take it as a mulligan- we won't know! [rofl]
  • Target will be the SR-1 'reduced' SR target shot at 100 yards. Alternately, you may submit a SR target from 200 yards and/or official scorecard from a CMP match. I'll post a link to a printable SR-1 'center' that prints out on 8-1/2 x 11 paper. SR-1 target centers are cheap and printed centers are free. Let's please not clutter the match with random targets.
  • Preferred shooting position is prone but I completely understand if you have any physical limitations that require you to shoot from the bench. You don't even have to mention that you shot from the bench. No lead sleds, etc.
  • Winner of fabulous prizes will be determined by random drawing. Each SR-1 or SR target pic submitted gives you one entry. You may enter as many times as you like to increase your chances. Top score will win bragging rights and title of NES Winter Warrior.
  • Each initial entry must include a pic of rifle used. Follow up targets with the same rifle don't need another rifle pic. I'm sure we would all like to know the history of your rifles and little about the loads you shoot. Hey, it's winter and we need moar cool stuff to read about!
That's it for now. If you have any cool 'Winter Warrior' pics, please post 'em!

Here's a link to a printable SR-1:

NRA SR-1 Target | Bison Ballistics

Last edited:
As an example, here's one of my entries from a prior Winter Warrior postal match:

WvLbGnKl.jpg

98-2X, Original wartime condition VKT M39. I'll add OAL later but load was D166 Lapuas over 43.2 grains Varget, CCI large rifle primers, Herters brass made by someone else probably. I made 4 shots on another target to figure out the Kentucky windage and where to hold then shot the next 10 as above. 1st shot I took hit the X in the X-ring [smile]. 1st 3 shots for ~.94" group. 1st 5 shots ~2.24" group. The two 9's were my last two shots- squeezed into the black too much then overcompensated low for the last shot at 7:00 outer 9-ring.

I think the load worked great and I like how the D166 projectiles worked. Recoil was relatively mild and accuracy was way better than I put on paper. All the usual excuses- in a rush, getting dark, etc. I'll probably take this rifle and load to Pembroke for one of the Vintage matches.

I"ll forget all about this post in another month.

Is for the duration of the winter season , certain number of targets ?

I"ll forget all about this post in another month.

Is for the duration of the winter season , certain number of targets ?
Starts with the first snow and/or freezing daylight weather. Ends when that last pile of snow melts away from your range.

As many SR-1 or SR targets as you care to submit. Just a way to have some winter shooting fun at your own pace and talk some smack with fellow participants.

Last edited:
It's 70 degrees on the Cape today. Feels like Winter Warrior weather is not gonna be for quite a while. But hey we all know how New England weather likes to F with us, soooooo. See y'all soon!
In September I experienced weather in the mid 20's atop Mount Washington . Alas, forgot my rifle, ammo, and targets.

I regret that the AUG does not have traditional iron sights.

Actually it does. They are located on top of the scope but they're quite subtle and if I remember right are fixed at about 300 yds. At least my late 80's vintage original does.

Actually it does. They are located on top of the scope but they're quite subtle and if I remember right are fixed at about 300 yds. At least my late 80's vintage original does.
I'm aware of that, but they aren't really "iron" though, nor "traditional." I should have been a bit clearer. I'm not sure they'd be great at a precision-style match like this, either.

It would be a big test of the honor system for people to trust I wasn't using the optic!

I'm aware of that, but they aren't really "iron" though, nor "traditional." I should have been a bit clearer. I'm not sure they'd be great at a precision-style match like this, either.

It would be a big test of the honor system for people to trust I wasn't using the optic!

I tried using them at 100yds and couldn't hit a thing lol

I tried using them at 100yds and couldn't hit a thing lol
I did see one guy with an A3 put Magpul BUS on his (the flip ones) since it's a sizable rail. I opted to go with a red dot for now, with the plan to move the dot to the offset position and put a LPVO on the main rail. I debated getting one of the AUG optics, but for the price, it didn't make sense to me. Obviously with a preban, it's a different story.

I did see one guy with an A3 put Magpul BUS on his (the flip ones) since it's a sizable rail. I opted to go with a red dot for now, with the plan to move the dot to the offset position and put a LPVO on the main rail. I debated getting one of the AUG optics, but for the price, it didn't make sense to me. Obviously with a preban, it's a different story.

Yeah there was no choice on the preban, its part of the receiver lol.

Some scenes from one of my all-time favorite movies. I think Patton was my first in-depth biography homework choice as a grade school kid.

91PYMrut-mL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

KsLu8MT1S27MvVLm2eZcZB2JmE4iD79eJngwF8WMGW0SBNfw0dJujXEbQdka7M-w2qar8xH5zeRRHqhS2ZrwJnZupmQ=s0-d

Snowing today. Maybe 7" at the house?

Made a quick range trip to figure out where the hell I left my sights at a match with heavy mirage. Couldn't see the damn bullet holes in the black. Anyway, had the range all to myself during the snow storm.

gBeKawA.jpg

Maybe I should open up a separate category for sniper / optics?

Can no longer participate in such.
t[sad]

Shooting from the bench OK. Rem 513T was at times issued by Uncle Sam, no? Trail Boss loads in a Mauser?

I'd like to keep it iron sight rifles on SR1 or SR targets for sake of equivalency. Maybe sniper thing for another day. If you want to shoot pistols, why not start a Milsurp Pistol postal match on the forum? I'd shoot my .32 Colt 1903 so everyone can laugh at how many misses.

Maybe someone can bend the rules a bit and allow some alternatives? Being CO2 youwill have to at least shoot from indoors out to your target unless you have a decent stretch of 10m in your househouse

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmxL2KS_gyU&app=desktop

Yeah, try finding one of those in stock. Americanairgunners says in stock but if you check their home page says they are closed for wu flu.

Yeah, try finding one of those in stock. Americanairgunners says in stock but if you check their home page says they are closed for wu flu.
Yeah they did not last long production wise, the M1 carbine, grease gun , tommy gun and mosin , k98 are still out there.

Back
Top Bottom