Winter Warrior 2020 - 2021 Postal Match for Iron Sight Military Rifles

Slipped out to practice with a box of carry ammo...1939 PPk. 36F, snow on ground. Having trouble with the cold...blood thinners and cold hands, feet, and especially my nose, believe it or not, but can handle brief pistol time.

Hey, it’s still iron sights. Out of targets and the printer is broken. A flyer early.
t

Attachments

• 9BD1F73E-98D6-4EE3-8CFE-78295ECB4F5B.jpeg
    9BD1F73E-98D6-4EE3-8CFE-78295ECB4F5B.jpeg
    333.5 KB · Views: 8
  • EF064ADB-F035-4C8E-AC1B-97F08B0CD018.jpeg
    EF064ADB-F035-4C8E-AC1B-97F08B0CD018.jpeg
    347.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 10242DF7-3506-4B43-A904-EF11C52D5CCC.jpeg
    10242DF7-3506-4B43-A904-EF11C52D5CCC.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
@Mountain can we get a clarification on this:
  • Iron sight military rifles only, in original military calibers. Anything from a Brown Bess to an AR or AK, but must be iron sights. Since stupid CMP now allows free-float AR's, they are OK for this match if you are a wuss. Kidding. OK, not really kidding
I have an Arsenal AK in 5.56; as you may know, some countries currently utilize AK style rifles in 5.56, such as Poland. In fact, I use FB Radom Beryl mags with mine. Additionally, in Bulgaria the AR-M1 is their current standard issue rifle and is an AK in 5.56.

I suspect your aim was more "don't use your Arisaka rechambered in .243 Winchester" - but wanted to ask.

Can I get a ruling on clones? I wanted to try this last year but didn’t have anything that qualified, or that had irons. I recently acquired a PTR 91 and while it’s a clone, the G3 is certainly a military rifle with original iron sights, in a military caliber.

Can I get a ruling on clones? I wanted to try this last year but didn’t have anything that qualified, or that had irons. I recently acquired a PTR 91 and while it’s a clone, the G3 is certainly a military rifle with original iron sights, in a military caliber.
In the past clones have been OK for Mountain's stuff. I think it's implied given he states free float ARs are OK, since the US as far as I know doesn't use any free floated assault rifles (or any ARs, I assume, if we're being technical).

In the past clones have been OK for Mountain's stuff. I think it's implied given he states free float ARs are OK, since the US as far as I know doesn't use any free floated assault rifles (or any ARs, I assume, if we're being technical).

I figured as much, figured I’d ask anyhow. I’d assume a 5.56 AK would be fine as well. Sounds like we’re just trying to avoid opening the flood gates to every caliber under the sun, especially with AR’s in the mix.

@Mountain can we get a clarification on this:
  • Iron sight military rifles only, in original military calibers. Anything from a Brown Bess to an AR or AK, but must be iron sights. Since stupid CMP now allows free-float AR's, they are OK for this match if you are a wuss. Kidding. OK, not really kidding
I have an Arsenal AK in 5.56; as you may know, some countries currently utilize AK style rifles in 5.56, such as Poland. In fact, I use FB Radom Beryl mags with mine. Additionally, in Bulgaria the AR-M1 is their current standard issue rifle and is an AK in 5.56.

I suspect your aim was more "don't use your Arisaka rechambered in .243 Winchester" - but wanted to ask.

'Spirit' of milsurp OK by me. Any you mention OK- AR's, AK's, and CMP legal config OK by me. Main point is to get people shooting in winter conditions, without optics, and with milsurp type rifles. I think more relaxed rules are OK because top score is for bragging rights. 'Fabulous' prizes by random drawing [laugh] .

For those of you with AR's- CMP has constantly changing (and stupid) rules for their Modern Military matches. For here, if it's an iron sight AR and not one of those heavy barrel 'space guns' it's OK.

Oh yeah- please shoot that PTR and post pics. Clones AOK.

Right, no 6.5 Meme-moor ARs or Garands chambered in 7mm Shooting Times Westerner.

Exactly, LOL. I have a AR-10 build that I made in 6.5 Man Bun and it will shoot 1/2 MOA, give or take. Of course that's with a scope but even with irons it's outside the lines.

'Spirit' of milsurp OK by me. Any you mention OK- AR's, AK's, and CMP legal config OK by me. Main point is to get people shooting in winter conditions, without optics, and with milsurp type rifles. I think more relaxed rules are OK because top score is for bragging rights. 'Fabulous' prizes by random drawing [laugh] .

For those of you with AR's- CMP has constantly changing (and stupid) rules for their Modern Military matches. For here, if it's an iron sight AR and not one of those heavy barrel 'space guns' it's OK.

i will say this , if you have a milsurp that still looks like "as issued" chambered in something "not issued" please show us and post a target.
I also would not mind seeing some military 22lr trainers.
I like to see Clones also as long as they represent close to what they where supposed to be.

Last edited:
Was able to get out to the range this past Tuesday. Truck said it was exactly 32F, though it felt about 15F with all the wind up at the range. My plan is to get all of my Finnish Mosins out at least once this season. Once I do, who knows, maybe I'll take some other 'Winter' rifles out....(Swiss perhaps?)

All of my Finn Mosins will be shooting the same handload just as a point of comparison.

Here's post 1 of 3...

1934 Finn-capture 91/30

1.jpg

At 100yds it looks like 90-1x. I'm disappointed because I knew this rifle shot a bit to the left, so I held a little too far right at the start which left me with 3 in the 8 ring. It could've been a better score if my first shots were better centered. [thinking]
2.jpg

Last edited:
Post 2 of 3...

1914 Finn-capture M91 (Izhevsk)

3.jpg

Looks like 92-1x. This rifle has a pretty dark, worn bore. The biggest problem is that it has a really heavy trigger, like 10+ lbs (maybe more). The hits in the 8 rings were a result of my flinching. I bet if I did another run with this rifle I could tighten the group up.
4.jpg

Post 3 of 3....

1942 M91 'B' Barrel

5.jpg

Looks like 97-2x. This rifle has a mint bore and is a pleasure to shoot....it's more than capable of holding the 10 ring all day long despite my couple of fliers. Maybe I'll take it out again to see if I can get all 10s.
6.jpg

Post 3 of 3....

1942 M91 'B' Barrel

View attachment 431163

Looks like 97-2x. This rifle has a mint bore and is a pleasure to shoot....it's more than capable of holding the 10 ring all day long despite my couple of fliers. Maybe I'll take it out again to see if I can get all 10s.
View attachment 431164

Fantastic targets. The Finns really knew how to squeeze more accuracy out of Mosins. Pre WWII, their officers were trained by the Germans. I wonder if there was some technical exchange for firearms manufacturing and/or armorers as well.

Jealous about that B barrel Finn...

It was a Cabela's pickup a few years ago....still packed with Finnish grease and tar under the stock. It was a pain in the a$$ to get it cleaned up! But, on the plus side, I don't think it had been fired since leaving Finland because the bore's beautiful.

20181228_163002.jpg

20181228_163821.jpg

20181228_164927.jpg

The 1929 ex Dragoon I have on layaway looks just like that. Will take a case of paper towels and a quart of thinner to get it off. Had the gun shop knockout a 29 inch 30 caliber slug of grease out of the perfect bore so I could see it

Didn’t shoot nearly as well as last time. Different day, cold day (40F), different ammo. Didn’t hit elevation until I moved the sight down to 50(?). Did ring the 8” gong 20/20 at the end...guess that’s what counts
t

Where you using the aforementioned Dragoon?

Didn’t shoot nearly as well as last time. Different day, cold day (40F), different ammo. Didn’t hit elevation until I moved the sight down to 50(?). Did ring the 8” gong 20/20 at the end...guess that’s what counts
tView attachment 436230

Looks like you are doing about as good as one could expect with an original carbine. I don't think they are intended to shoot at 100 yards, so you chose an extra tough challenge.

So based on last time, I had grandiose expectations...then Murphy's Karma ran over my Dogma. Used new Remington then and new Aguila today. 100 yard sight with the Remington.
t

Its winter already! Screw you and your Cold Snowy rules!
Lol DQ me !
Anyhow installed new sight in the swede. Filed it down some and elevation is much better 6 oclock hold. I used factory PPU for now and will give the front sight another nudge. Then its back to reloads. Other than me theres no reason this cant hold the ten ring
Upper group is from last test before sight change , thats a group with H4895 not so good

89/100
253C256F-E655-41EF-92B4-F3045F016352.jpeg

Its winter already! Screw you and your Cold Snowy rules!
Lol DQ me !
Anyhow installed new sight in the swede. Filed it down some and elevation is much better 6 oclock hold. I used factory PPU for now and will give the front sight another nudge. Then its back to reloads. Other than me theres no reason this cant hold the ten ring
Upper group is from last test before sight change , thats a group with H4895 not so good

89/100
View attachment 437812
Looks pretty damn good. Must be something special about this 6.5 Swedemoor caliber. [laugh]

Looks pretty damn good. Must be something special about this 6.5 Swedemoor caliber. [laugh]
Bore is a copper scraper. I need to darken the rear sight and not shoot at 4pm.
Guy next to me was laughing as I was holding my hand over the rear sight to cut the glare!

Back
Top Bottom