Winter Warrior 2020 - 2021 Postal Match for Iron Sight Military Rifles

Russian factory refurb SKS. It’s either a ‘53 or ‘56 I don’t recall.
decided to use a cheap plastic bipod this time.
32 and light snow.
View attachment 452140View attachment 452141View attachment 452142
that sks did not have a hand to bitch slap you for installing that bipod so it made sure your groups where not good....lol
Im bring out the sks's next. I have not actually shot 2 of them with any accuracy in mind just range blasting. The russian referb I have is about a 6 moa rifle

Lead SWC out of a Garand; ouch.
t
usually mouse fart loads with my cast but that one was about 1900 fps.... it will cycle a M1 no problem but inconsistent accuracy. That bullet particulary likes 1400-1600 fps out of the 1/10 twist barrel

that sks did not have a hand to bitch slap you for installing that bipod so it made sure your groups where not good....lol
Im bring out the sks's next. I have not actually shot 2 of them with any accuracy in mind just range blasting. The russian referb I have is about a 6 moa rifle

It’s just one of those clamp-on bipods that comes off by pinching it closed. But yeah I know that rifle groups better than that. I had trouble getting a nice clear sight picture with it. Maybe my eyesight is declining already at 41yrs old. ;)

It’s just one of those clamp-on bipods that comes off by pinching it closed. But yeah I know that rifle groups better than that. I had trouble getting a nice clear sight picture with it. Maybe my eyesight is declining already at 41yrs old. ;)

maybe try some extremely low reader glasses. Like .5 or so. Let’s you see the sights and the target isn’t blurry.

maybe try some extremely low reader glasses. Like .5 or so. Let’s you see the sights and the target isn’t blurry.
This- .5 readers help me get better scores via crisper front sight view. Think of it this way- fuzzy image at the front sight can cause a much bigger error angle than slightly fuzzy on the bullseye 100 yards away.

yeah thats about when I needed help.
Started with a +.25 lens in my sight hood on my AR service rifle. Im now at +1.0 custom lens in my shooting glasses. I cant use your basic frames for shooting the frame is always in the way.
What sucks now is with the stronger Rx the rear notch style sights are getting harder to see.
I can see the front post well enough , the target is getting harder to see. Last year it was a smaller blurr than previous years.

You may have to order +0.5. Most local stores seem to have +.75 or higher, sometimes only +1.0 or higher.

I checked CVS and S&S today and you’re correct. Lowest I saw was 1.0 and I briefly tested them down aisles. No way I could lollipop the black on an SR1 at 100 and make good groups. I’ll try a cheap eBay pair cuz I’m currently undecided on whether or not I’ll buy anything on Amazon again.

I checked CVS and S&S today and you’re correct. Lowest I saw was 1.0 and I briefly tested them down aisles. No way I could lollipop the black on an SR1 at 100 and make good groups. I’ll try a cheap eBay pair cuz I’m currently undecided on whether or not I’ll buy anything on Amazon again.
I tried these early on, same problwm as most as in shooting positions other than pistol shooting I find myself looking at the frames or nose piece. plus they fogged fairly easy. Cheap enough to try

My 308 MacM1 special Criterion Barrel
built this for cmp modern military
just over 1000 rounds now and 200 ish last year. I have not cleaned it yet after the 2020 season
there is some copper fouling , not bad considering other rifles I own even with new barrels

After a match I run a wet patch through the bore , let it sit for 5-10 min then 3 or so dry patches. I run another wet patch through it and put it away. When I go to shoot it again I run a few dry patches. I can tell you if you leave a "wet" solvent bore and go shoot it the carbon fouling is nasty. It just burns that wet oil in and all the carbon fouling just sticks to it.

I will be doing a deep clean today. Will shoot this one again as soon as I load up more 308 or hope the fancy stuff from CMP gets here soon.

View: https://youtu.be/V8ATwjhZeR8

ALL CLEANED UP AND READY FOR 2022 cmp

View: https://youtu.be/Geb3xRV0Pa0

Last edited:
Might look for SSP Top Focals on Amazon if you change yer mind ...

I tried these early on, same problwm as most as in shooting positions other than pistol shooting I find myself looking at the frames or nose piece. plus they fogged fairly easy. Cheap enough to try
I just ordered a three pack of these

Maybe I just need better sights on all my other rifles. Ha! I did put a CMC trigger in it about 6 years ago so that really helps make this rifle a beauty to shoot.
Frankford Arsenal bare-bones A2.
32 and sunny. Zero wind. Resting on range bag no bipod this time!

View attachment 453148
Aperture sights are a huge upgrade
Thats why they are found on the serious target rifles

i keep saying im going to get a adapter for. My flat top AR to run my redfield match sights

love to stumble across a set of certa or pheonix match sights

Last edited:
Aperture sights are a huge upgrade
Thats why they are found on the serious target rifles

i keep saying im going to get a adapter for. My flat top AR to run my redfield match sights

love to stumble across a set of certa or pheonix match sights

Years ago I tried putting a set of a/m aperture sights on my MAK90 to see if I could tighten it up. It made no difference in my groups and was not sturdy. If you flipped the rear up too far the whole leaf assembly would dislodge and it was kinda a pita to get it back together. I put the originals back on and MK no longer hates me I hope.

Years ago I tried putting a set of a/m aperture sights on my MAK90 to see if I could tighten it up. It made no difference in my groups and was not sturdy. If you flipped the rear up too far the whole leaf assembly would dislodge and it was kinda a pita to get it back together. I put the originals back on and MK no longer hates me I hope.
I thought about a krebs ?

Also been trying to snag some KNS rear sights

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxbYnfWbvNg

Last edited:
I thought about a krebs ?

Also been trying to snag some KNS rear sights

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxbYnfWbvNg

I don’t recall the maker of the one I bought.

So the other day I took my Chinese SKS to the range. 42˚ but snow on the ground so...
Never fired this thing but had some reloads made with old IMR4227 powder (I have quite a bit)
First shots at 50 yards to see where they go, then first of two attempts at 100 yards...last target
is another at 50 yards. Rifle jams after 3 rounds, I think it needs a mag spring...
I will take a 61 (second target pic at 100 yards) no X's.

Attachments

• IMG_3168.JPG
    IMG_3168.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3171.JPG
    IMG_3171.JPG
    326.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3169.JPG
    IMG_3169.JPG
    463.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3174.JPG
    IMG_3174.JPG
    319.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3173.JPG
    IMG_3173.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3164.JPG
    IMG_3164.JPG
    630 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Another fun day at the range. As I thought I was completely alone as it was pouring out. Brought my Yugo SKS and Ishapore 2A1. The Yugo has a scope on it but the mount is see through so I did a target with the scope and one with the iron sights. Ironically they came out pretty close to each other. The scope is a cheap Leapers 6X and isn’t what I would call precise.

Now the Ishapore was a complete bust. 2nd shot in the extractor spring broke and I had to manually extract each round. That got old fast. Plus I couldn’t hit the side of a barn with it. She was hitting left and very low from point of aim. I’ll have to fix the extractor, adjust the front sight and give her another try. Could also be an ammo issue as I was shooting very old and cheap Indian surplus 308. I’ll try something a little better to see if the group closes up.

Even though it was a fun day. Now I’m relaxing on the couch. Ready for a nap!

CD4C7A45-F7B1-49DC-8D69-DE12A241BC05.jpeg

Top is with scope. Bottom is iron sights.
56368D1B-3EA6-46DA-B5C8-0624DA8EB81A.jpeg

hope to get out tomorrow with the Romanian. Picked this up years ago from CIA when they had there "cracked stock" models. The stock is cracked but arsenal repaired , I like it.
I shot it on paper when I first got it. Has a little fouling but really nice shape for what it is. My yugo although "nicer" condition over all the bore is not as nice as this one.
Giving them both a good scrub and hope to get out tomorrow and put up some scores.

There is some Throat and Gas port erosion which honestly I was expecting worse. Could not have seen to much use. Bolt matches but thats about it.
My Yugo is all matching , and by the bore was not a "un issued" rifle yet a very lightly used rifle.

View: https://youtu.be/3uY1QST8U4Q

Last edited:
Another fun day at the range. As I thought I was completely alone as it was pouring out. Brought my Yugo SKS and Ishapore 2A1. The Yugo has a scope on it but the mount is see through so I did a target with the scope and one with the iron sights. Ironically they came out pretty close to each other. The scope is a cheap Leapers 6X and isn’t what I would call precise.

Now the Ishapore was a complete bust. 2nd shot in the extractor spring broke and I had to manually extract each round. That got old fast. Plus I couldn’t hit the side of a barn with it. She was hitting left and very low from point of aim. I’ll have to fix the extractor, adjust the front sight and give her another try. Could also be an ammo issue as I was shooting very old and cheap Indian surplus 308. I’ll try something a little better to see if the group closes up.

Even though it was a fun day. Now I’m relaxing on the couch. Ready for a nap!

View attachment 455559

Top is with scope. Bottom is iron sights.
View attachment 455560
I have only one brit rifle and all the surplus ammo before I started reloading SUCKED, it went bang and made it to the burm. For the exception of some Greek HXP it can find the black

Took out my Swiss rifles recently, mostly because I wanted to get some range time in with my K31 (dated 1947). I think I've only taken it out once or twice. I also brought my K11 (dated 1927) along for kicks as well. All targets were shot with the same load....PPU brass with a 168gr Hornady Amax over 43.5gr IMR4064

K31 #1 - 96-1x
Decent group with one flier at the top of the 9 ring
1.jpg

K31 #2 - 92-1x
This one opened up a bit. It's clear I need to zero my K31....it's hitting a touch to the right
2.jpg

K31 #3 - 96-2x
Tried holding a bit left and was able to center the group up a bit. Had some horizontal stringing but that was on me trying to find the right hold
3.jpg

K11 #1 - 95-2x
Had some rounds left over so I gave the K11 a shot. Started off great with the 4 10's and 2x's but I threw 4 fliers into the 8 and 9 ring because I couldn't feel my trigger finger anymore :confused:. Probably should've brought some gloves, lol
4.jpg

Took out my Swiss rifles recently, mostly because I wanted to get some range time in with my K31 (dated 1947). I think I've only taken it out once or twice. I also brought my K11 (dated 1927) along for kicks as well. All targets were shot with the same load....PPU brass with a 168gr Hornady Amax over 43.5gr IMR4064

K31 #1 - 96-1x
Decent group with one flier at the top of the 9 ring
View attachment 456504

K31 #2 - 92-1x
This one opened up a bit. It's clear I need to zero my K31....it's hitting a touch to the right
View attachment 456505

K31 #3 - 96-2x
Tried holding a bit left and was able to center the group up a bit. Had some horizontal stringing but that was on me trying to find the right hold
View attachment 456506

K11 #1 - 95-2x
Had some rounds left over so I gave the K11 a shot. Started off great with the 4 10's and 2x's but I threw 4 fliers into the 8 and 9 ring because I couldn't feel my trigger finger anymore :confused:. Probably should've brought some gloves, lol
View attachment 456516
CMP Vintage class Camp Perry Nationals lately have been won with a K31. Competitor is from Mass, too.

Damn! Now I have to break out my K31 and K11 and head to the range again. [laugh] I'll have to use PPU ammo though as I'm not breaking into any of my GP-11.
I need to post a few more scores, was going to go out today but that wind is just crazy. It will nock the target over everytime I get back to the bench

Back
Top Bottom