Winter Warrior 2020 - 2021 Postal Match for Iron Sight Military Rifles

View attachment 461176
This particular rifle has never seen surplus M2 ball and it did not like it! This is my JCG as issued built rifle Criterion 1/10 barrel, DGR stock and a Fratalian trigger

HXP on clips and Bando’s 1972
Shot slow fire, SLED
First picture
Walked my 5 sighters in 2 shots went high brought it down some next 2 shots went high 9 ring last sighter went high left 10 ring OK good enough proceeded to shoot the last 11 rounds of 16
That right side 7 is what Im talking about that HXP flyer!
I know its the ammo my off shots are always left or a elevation issue.
That 8 was my 5th shot
94/1X
View attachment 461269
2nd target was not forgiving at all.

Rifle cooled down for about 15 minutes , shot another 16 rounds and got this!?!
This is what my off hand usually looks like
View attachment 461275
?

I can't help but eat and write as a lefty, but shooting as a lefty is just too much self punishment for me.
its just very natural for me, plus my right eye sees less of the target vs my left.
That black blob is getting smaller!

Winter officially Ends March 20th get them out there...........

There is still a good pile of snow at at least one club in the shadows i go to .

Will try to get out at least 2 more times
Maybe M1 Carbine and the AR ?

MYbe your eyes where getting tired quick?

Possible. I find the M27/M28 sights easier to pick up. For some reason the M39 sights can get fuzzy on me, depending on the lighting. If the lighting is good I have no problem, but if it's dim or cloudy, it's harder to get a good sight picture. Probably doesn't help that my front sight was damaged at some point and isn't flat across the top and left side.

I took the M39 out again yesterday and shot 20 rounds through it just to see if it was me or the ammo. It seems like it was me last weekend. I shot alot better yesterday. Probably should've shot a few targets to submit...

Tuesday, sunny but 30˚ with 5-10 mph wind and the Criterion barreled Garand I use in matches when I am able. Shooting at 100 yards so I adjusted down 2 clicks, or so I thought. Actually went up 2, took the first shot, then down 4 clicks to correct myself :rolleyes::rolleyes: First target shooting off front rest. Second target slung up prone wearing my shop coat. Last time I got down like that was last October at Old Colony. Getting older and it's not getting easier...threw a couple 8's, the others in the black. Finally got hold of a long eye-relief eyepiece for my Celestron spotter, what a difference. (Thanks mac1911 for the heads-up!!!)

Attachments

• IMG_3222.JPG
    IMG_3222.JPG
    512.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3220.JPG
    IMG_3220.JPG
    334.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3226.JPG
    IMG_3226.JPG
    296.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3225.JPG
    IMG_3225.JPG
    880 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3223.JPG
    IMG_3223.JPG
    727.3 KB · Views: 2
  • fullsizeoutput_8b9.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_8b9.jpeg
    725.2 KB · Views: 3
Nice, yes that LER is great especially if you wear glasses and shooting prone.
Funny I bought the 20x60 eye piece for other purposes plus it fits my telescope.
At 25 yards me and the son where scoping squirrels on 60x worked great and detail was crisp. My son thought it was really cool. I will be using the LER for matches. I wish there was a 40-50x LER?

Tomorrow looks like the last chance to get in on this shooting. Snowy and cold. After that it looks pretty warm going into the next week or so. Going to try and get out tomorrow morning with one of my swiss rifles to see how it goes.

So who had the coldest day for Winter Warrior? Coldest I reached this year was ~13F, I think. A couple years ago I shot the M1 in -7F weather and tested AR lubes at zero or below.

Snow in the parking lot counts. Even if it's after the 20th, if there is snow at your range or the temp is 32F or below, it counts.
I banned myself from any “winnings” so re draw If I come up.
I dont think I have any “high” scores anyway.
Although if I can pull some 80s out of my ass off hand this year I should have some decent scores!
Might get the 1942 US PROPERTY 513T out sat or maybe a M1 carbine

Forgot to post this, from back in February. It wasn't 100 yards, more like 70 I think. It was in the low teens that day, first time for me shooting in the cold

View attachment 463281
View attachment 463282

Nice pics, and good shooting for an AK at 70 yards. If I ever end up moving back South, I'm really going to miss the New England winters- even shooting in the cold. I really, really hate spring here, though. I'd rather go out in zero degree weather than 34 degrees and raining.

Nice pics, and good shooting for an AK at 70 yards. If I ever end up moving back South, I'm really going to miss the New England winters- even shooting in the cold. I really, really hate spring here, though. I'd rather go out in zero degree weather than 34 degrees and raining.

This thread actually got me to go find a new place to shoot. My normal place is where the snowmobile trail goes through, so for winter I had to find a spot with a big enough backdrop and angled away from any posability of someone coming.

I much prefer feeling cold over sweating from just being outside

If my wife hadn't given me the Springfield M1A pellet rifle for Christmas, I'd definitely go for one of those CMP ones.
Need a little clean up and some TLC , trigger needs to be worked over , I going to call Daisy and see if they have any of the adjustable trigger assemblies and order a few re seal kits.
So far this one looks like it will deliver as long as I hold well.
My friends son can really shoot and usually cleans the targets when hes here shooting mine. He laughs when he shoots it , he has one of thise $5k anchutz

Need a little clean up and some TLC , trigger needs to be worked over , I going to call Daisy and see if they have any of the adjustable trigger assemblies and order a few re seal kits.
So far this one looks like it will deliver as long as I hold well.
My friends son can really shoot and usually cleans the targets when hes here shooting mine. He laughs when he shoots it , he has one of thise $5k anchutz
Oh great, now that you have made the Anschutz comparison I'm going to have to order one and check it out, LOL.

92-1x.

20210319_145828.jpg

Shot the M1917 Eddystone I acquired from @majspud. I said I would do a 1917 entry, so I had to be a man of my word. This was my first range trip since about Thanksgiving, which is by far the longest I've gone since becoming a gunowner.

20210319_143618.jpg

I was actually pretty worried, being very rusty. But I took a few practice shots on the steel plates and I was hitting. I didn't bring a spotting scope. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. I feel like I've always shot this rifle pretty well.

Ammo was handloads using AA2495:
20210319_143622.jpg

I normally neck size for the M1917, but I had originally loaded these for one of my M1s, so these were full-length sized.
It was pretty nice out, but a tad chilly. Still snow on the ground.

I finished the trip off shooting some with my beloved 1980 S&W Model 15:
20210319_150541.jpg

It was really good to get back out there, and I had the range to myself for most of the time.
If snow remains on the ground and @Mountain keeps this running, I'll do another entry or two next week, if all goes according to plan.

View attachment 463152Snow to right , target lower RH corner of dumpster.View attachment 46315388/100/1X off hand 25 yards

yeah yeah I know but its all I got
Its US marked and from the cmp View attachment 463154View attachment 463205
Since this is all I have time for figure I would put a little comparison up.
10m air rifle target has a aiming black of
Aprox 1.25” with with 4 ring in the black
Reduce a SR down to 10m your looking at a .69 aiming black out to a 9 ring or 7 ring of 10m air rifle target
A “10” on a 10mm air rifle is 1/4” and the little dot is something like .030”
Target on left is a 25’ nra 5/5 air rifle target oncright is a 10m target with the SR reduced black drawn in have fun

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom