Winter Warrior 2020 - 2021 Postal Match for Iron Sight Military Rifles

Ok 1942 513T US Property , cheated and used a modern scope.
100 yards with new production wolf match extra, quick 25 yard zero at 2.5” high got me a little high in the black at 100.
Me/ammo/rifle/scope did not want to settle down. Shot for score then used up the ammo holding at different points Blue dots and groups outlined. Pattern was right and low then flyers high and left? Me, gun ammo, scope?
Who knows . Not terrible for a 79yr old rifle
96/100/2X
243563B6-6758-46F0-A8F6-226B4A481147.jpegimage.jpg

Ok 1942 513T US Property , cheated and used a modern scope.
100 yards with new production wolf match extra, quick 25 yard zero at 2.5” high got me a little high in the black at 100.
Me/ammo/rifle/scope did not want to settle down. Shot for score then used up the ammo holding at different points Blue dots and groups outlined. Pattern was right and low then flyers high and left? Me, gun ammo, scope?
Who knows . Not terrible for a 79yr old rifle
96/100/2X
View attachment 464377View attachment 464378
Hey, I think the sniper competition is on arf-com.

So this postal match should be wrapping up soon. I still have some snow on the ground at my house and I imagine at the range too. Anyone wanting 'in' on this for the next week should post not only a target (SR at 200, SR1 at 100) but also evidence of snow / snit / snirt at the range.

I'll go through the posts and look for the top score for bragging rights and count the entries to assign a number for random drawing. I was planning on giving away a B.A.D. M1/M1A wrench and some Aggressive Engineering clips including a sled, but instead I"m going to keep it simple and just give away a $65 in gift card for Midway.

Remember the rules and that I'll only count SR / SR1 targets or printed target centers shot with iron sight military rifles as official entries for the drawing.

So this postal match should be wrapping up soon. I still have some snow on the ground at my house and I imagine at the range too. Anyone wanting 'in' on this for the next week should post not only a target (SR at 200, SR1 at 100) but also evidence of snow / snit / snirt at the range.

I'll go through the posts and look for the top score for bragging rights and count the entries to assign a number for random drawing. I was planning on giving away a B.A.D. M1/M1A wrench and some Aggressive Engineering clips including a sled, but instead I"m going to keep it simple and just give away a $65 in gift card for Midway.

Remember the rules and that I'll only count SR / SR1 targets or printed target centers shot with iron sight military rifles as official entries for the drawing.
I'm planning to possibly go everyday this week as long as snow/ammo/the comp being open remains the same.
The weekend definitely reduced the snowbanks but I still have snow at home and part of the range is shaded, so we'll see.

But that scope! [rockon]

I don't think Mall Ninja Central likes anything with a wood stock.
The scope is not even cool,
Not FFP , no zero stop, no reset zero and the reticle is to plain
On 24x the center dot is .25 moa and you can place it over a 22 hole at 100 yards.
This scope is not ideal for 22lr as the “side focus” only goes down to 40 yards.
Fine for me as I usually shoot 100-200 with 22lr

245827E7-88CC-442C-8E75-C2488432EEC4.jpegC31FB51E-76DD-4E9C-8550-95817717052D.jpeg

Last edited:
I took the day off yesterday and spent the afternoon at the range. I remembered this was still going on and we still have snow on the range...

PXL_20210322_193412828.jpg

You can see the target(s) I used at 100yds on the far left.

M14 with iron sights and some Federal GMM 168gr...
PXL_20210322_194204858~2.jpg

Not bad for 20rds, other than the few I pulled to the right :-( It definitely prefers 168s to 175s I discovered.

I need to pull out the SR1 and measure circles to figure out what the score is. I was just happy with the grouping to be honest.

PXL_20210322_193906324.jpg

OK so maybe its not really your run of the mill M14 but it was still with the irons...

PXL_20210322_194232969~2.jpg

93-1x
20210324_150509.jpg

Still plenty of snow at the range:
20210324_143109.jpg

Shot my 1908-dated Swedish m96/38:
20210324_143330.jpg

The usual MO, no spotting scope. If I had brought one and had taken that high nine group down, it could have been a very good target.
I love the rifle; it hits a bit high. I believe they were sighted in for 300, so makes sense if so.
20210324_150617.jpg

This is probably the rifle I would take to OCSA for a match if I get down there anytime soon.
However, at 200, the sights might be more of an issue, like when I ran my SKS.
The club is supposed to have a 300 yd range the future, so maybe I'll get a chance to test it there.

Going to see if I can swing a trip tomorrow and/or Friday, but I've been pretty busy at work.

93-1x
View attachment 465401

View attachment 465403

View attachment 465404

The usual MO, no spotting scope. If I had brought one and had taken that high nine group down, it could have been a very good target.
I love the rifle; it hits a bit high. I believe they were sighted in for 300, so makes sense if so.
View attachment 465409

This is probably the rifle I would take to OCSA for a match if I get down there anytime soon.
The club is supposed to have a 300 yd range the future, so maybe I'll get a chance to test it there.

Going to see if I can swing a trip tomorrow and/or Friday, but I've been pretty busy at work.
A lot of us put those taller front sights on the Swedes. They are a marvel when it comes to battle rifle accuracy.

93-1x
View attachment 465401

View attachment 465403

View attachment 465404

View attachment 465409

What where you using for a hold?
If 6 oclock you would be close to low 10s

What where you using for a hold?
If 6 oclock you would be close to low 10s
I was holding basically at the bottom of the target, so maybe an even greater than 6 o'clock hold? I should probably look into what I can do to hit a little better, but on the other hand if I make a note of it, might be OK. Plus, the current sight setup might work well for 200 yds.

I was holding basically at the bottom of the target, so maybe an even greater than 6 o'clock hold? I should probably look into what I can do to hit a little better, but on the other hand if I make a note of it, might be OK. Plus, the current sight setup might work well for 200 yds.
You can do line of white hold or frame hold or just buy a taller front sight.

do yourself a favor and buy a taller original sight. The after market one does not fit well and the angles are a bit off making for ugly fit:
Its easy to get a rough idea of what hieght you need.

figure out your hold ,
Shoot a group , figure out the correction tou need to get your center of group to where you want it.

Correction X Sight Radius / target distance in inches

Not a valid entry
Shot CMP at Ames , beat the rain and it was good to get out.
265/300/2x Worst shots where off hand kept all but 2 inside the 8 ring.

Attachments

• 4168A682-FEC0-4508-8928-B5C6F323AC8E.jpeg
    4168A682-FEC0-4508-8928-B5C6F323AC8E.jpeg
    396.9 KB · Views: 2
Hey y'all!

Anyone throw some lead downrange in this April surprise weather?

I've been down South this week. I'll review scores and announce the prize upon my return. Happy Easter for those of you so inclined.

Snow's gone here sadly. Most WW matches I've been able to do a lot more targets, sadly things conspired this year to really reduce my ability to participate. Maybe we can come up with a Spring/Summer event like the 2019 (I think?) carbine match.

Finally pulled out an SR1 and ruler to figure out where the rings line up on my target above. Looks like a 199 with 7 or 8x (one may be touching). If I can shift the POI slightly left it will be a lot of Xs

Likely not an official entry, even though it was pretty cold at the range this past Friday, but here's a target I shot quick at the end of my range session. I had 10 .303 handloads left so I figured I'd run them through my No. 4 instead of taking them home. The first 2 shots I jerked a bit but it still turned out to being a decent group.

1944 Maltby No. 4 Mk. 1 with 150gr Interlocks over IMR3031
95-1X

20210404_144616.jpg

Likely not an official entry, even though it was pretty cold at the range this past Friday, but here's a target I shot quick at the end of my range session. I had 10 .303 handloads left so I figured I'd run them through my No. 4 instead of taking them home. The first 2 shots I jerked a bit but it still turned out to being a decent group.

1944 Maltby No. 4 Mk. 1 with 150gr Interlocks over IMR3031
95-1X

View attachment 469417
Nice shooting! How's the .303 kick compared to .30-06? Haven't shot one yet.

If you are in Central MA, mornings this weekend were at or slightly below freezing in many areas. I arrived home from down South ~3:45am Sunday and it was as low as 26 degrees in some spots. That's a winter target in my book.

If you are in Central MA, mornings this weekend were at or slightly below freezing in many areas. I arrived home from down South ~3:45am Sunday and it was as low as 26 degrees in some spots. That's a winter target in my book.
I dont know if its stock fit but I find the recoil much better than 1903a3.....im sure its darn near close as far as "recoil energy"

On Friday afternoon it was right around freezing on my way home from the range for whatever that's worth.

.303 really doesn't kick much at all. The 150gr load I've been using is a mid range one...I haven't chrono'ed it but I'd guess it's around 2500fps. It's certainly slower than M2 ball. I have some 174gr loads worked up but I haven't tested them yet. I can't imagine they'd be anywhere close to a hot 30-06 load with a 175gr MatchKing.

On Friday afternoon it was right around freezing on my way home from the range for whatever that's worth.

.303 really doesn't kick much at all. The 150gr load I've been using is a mid range one...I haven't chrono'ed it but I'd guess it's around 2500fps. It's certainly slower than M2 ball. I have some 174gr loads worked up but I haven't tested them yet. I can't imagine they'd be anywhere close to a hot 30-06 load with a 175gr MatchKing.
Hotter 175 TMK load is what I run in my vintage sniper 1941 clone. The 175's buck the wind better. 155's good to 300 yards, no need for anything else.

My M1917 seems to like a hot 175gr load as well. It's been a while since I've shot it, but, from what I remember, it has more kick than either of my Lee-Enfields.

My M1917 seems to like a hot 175gr load as well. It's been a while since I've shot it, but, from what I remember, it has more kick than either of my Lee-Enfields.
303 brit is what 174gn at around 2500fps so recoil energy is close to a 150gn M2 cooking along at 2800fps?
The way that energy gets to your shoulder is what makes what we feel different for each gun.
i have a old 20g that kicks like a mule because of the stock angle. Pitch is all wrong and that little pivots on your shoulder and slams into your cheak.

Yeah I'd imagine they're pretty close in energy. I'd agree that stock shape has alot to do with felt recoil. I'm not particularly sensitive to recoil, so in my mind the recoil on a Lee-Enfield is fairly minimal. To me, it's not as harsh as a K98 or 91/30 for example

303 brit is what 174gn at around 2500fps so recoil energy is close to a 150gn M2 cooking along at 2800fps?
The way that energy gets to your shoulder is what makes what we feel different for each gun.
i have a old 20g that kicks like a mule because of the stock angle. Pitch is all wrong and that little pivots on your shoulder and slams into your cheak.

Feels like some calibers hit harder / quicker even though the projectile is lighter. Of course sometimes the rifle is lighter too. I have a 7mm Magnum Model 70 that my Dad used to take elk and caribou. Me and my boys just call it 'ouch!'

Back
Top Bottom