Winter Warrior 2020 - 2021 Postal Match for Iron Sight Military Rifles

Feels like some calibers hit harder / quicker even though the projectile is lighter. Of course sometimes the rifle is lighter too. I have a 7mm Magnum Model 70 that my Dad used to take elk and caribou. Me and my boys just call it 'ouch!'
Yes it will,
Depending on what your shooting. 7mm mag hunting rifle is what 7.5lbs with a 3x9 scope?
Popular round is 140 gn at what 3100 fps....thats probably a good 5lbs energy more than M2 out of a Garand
The pitch of the recoil pad really effects the"recoil" especially if its coming up into your face.
The mosin is light and depending on what ammo can kick , plus that stock IMHO is awful.

Now shoot a 7mm mag with something heavy like a 175gn slug at what 2900-3000fps you find out quickly what recoil is.

The recoil velocity/impulse also changes the recoil you feel. Like a snappy 9 vs the push of a 45
Recoil energy can be about the same but works through the firearm different.

Last edited:
Yeah I'd imagine they're pretty close in energy. I'd agree that stock shape has alot to do with felt recoil. I'm not particularly sensitive to recoil, so in my mind the recoil on a Lee-Enfield is fairly minimal. To me, it's not as harsh as a K98 or 91/30 for example
k98 is a heavy little gun almost 9 pounds but the stock tends to drive into that little spot just below your shoulder pocket. 194gn at 2600fps?

Yes it will,
Depending on what your shooting. 7mm mag hunting rifle is what 7.5lbs with a 3x9 scope?
Popular round is 140 gn at what 3100 fps....thats probably a good 5lbs energy more than M2 out of a Garand
The pitch of the recoil pad really effects the"recoil" especially if its coming up into your face.
The mosin is light and depending on what ammo can kick , plus that stock IMHO is awful.

Now shoot a 7mm mag with something heavy like a 175gn slug at what 2900-3000fps you find out quickly what recoil is.

The recoil velocity/impulse also changes the recoil you feel. Like a snappy 9 vs the push of a 45
Recoil energy can be about the same but works through the firearm different.
Nobody wants to shoot the hot elk loads more than 2 or 3 times, at least when wearing just a shirt.

I find the 303 P14 to be a very pleasant shooter, slightly softer than the 30-06 1917 and the 303 No4 I find to have more than both of those.

Alright folks, time to wrap this up!

First I must report the unfortunate news that @mac1911 was DQ'd again this year, but this time for cutting his finger on an ammo can. Blood on the firing line is an instant DQ. However, we should certainly congratulate him for shooting the tightest group with the lowest score with his MacMauser.

As a reminder, prize winner via drawing and top score for bragging rights.

Looks like we have a double winner for both the random drawing- @wegman and bragging rights! Great shooting, with a 98-1 posted on an official Winter Warrior target via a M1 Garand with a 'new' Italian barrel and trigger job. Wegman and @cjrubes had the most official (SR1 @ 100 yds or SR2 @ 200) targets posted, each posting a dozen or more. Wegman's 4th target (95-0 IIRC) was the random winner.

Pending results of drug testing (wegman, send your pee sample to 24 Beacon St., Boston, minimum one gallon), I will send a Brownells gift card for $65 (prize + shipping value) since my favorite gas cylinder wrench has been out of stock forever and winner has a SLED already. @wegman , please PM your email address to me.

Big thank you to all who participated in this 'postal' match and thanks for celebrating my favorite season of the year. There were tons of great scores in the mid 80's to high 90's. Also there were a bunch of interesting rifles posted this season.

Counting the days until our next New England winter...

It was rigged!
Yes, I am spending the entry fees on hookers, blow, and $100 boxes of primers. Next week I have vacation in Aruba with Wayne Lapierre and that fat sweaty guy from that online gun distributor.

Better luck next winter, and keep trying- you can do it!

67040d56-12fe-43b4-be58-74792a33a095-jpeg.449905

All joking aside, I think Wegman submitted the most entries- thus increasing his chances.

Yes, I am spending the entry fees on hookers, blow, and $100 boxes of primers. Next week I have vacation in Aruba with Wayne Lapierre and that fat sweaty guy from that online gun distributor.

Better luck next winter, and keep trying- you can do it!

67040d56-12fe-43b4-be58-74792a33a095-jpeg.449905

All joking aside, I think Wegman submitted the most entries- thus increasing his chances.
10 ring group all day!
its all good....now where did I put my hammer, a mauser front sight needs some fine tuning!

10 ring group all day!
its all good....now where did I put my hammer, a mauser front sight needs some fine tuning!
I have better luck setting the barrel on top of a couple 2x4's then run it over with the truck. It's much easier than adjusting the front sight. I had already run out of windage on this one and the front sight wouldn't budge. Came out right on the X-ring first time I ran it over.

Here's a CMP inspector approving my work:

56ab9aa2c08a80d7118bd989

10 ring group all day!

My K98 does the same kind of thing. I have to aim left to hit center target. I was going to take a hammer to the front sight, but found that it was staked. No clue how to unstake, move and then restake the site. So I just aim left........

My K98 does the same kind of thing. I have to aim left to hit center target. I was going to take a hammer to the front sight, but found that it was staked. No clue how to unstake, move and then restake the site. So I just aim left........
Front sight pusher will dis lodge stake. Even a good brass punch and hammer will work if you secure the barrel well.
My rifle is off because I put a new barrel on and just eyeballed centering the sight on reassembly. i need to push it another .04" and it should be good.

Back
Top Bottom