• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winter Warrior Milsurp Postal Match

Same M1 that I posted earlier.

Nice shooting..... You could argue one of those 9's nicked the 10 ring.

Prone with sling?
Didn’t notice that. Thought the argument would be if one of those 10s actually hit the X ring.
Yes, prone with sling.

Most of my targets have that right side bias. Since I got the rifle to shoot 200yd CMP, I’m apprehensive to adjust as it might go away at 200. I haven’t shot enough 200 to know if I need to adjust my “0” or just adjust windage for 100. I’d like to know my 200 “0” is correct before playing with the right knob.

Those are without question 2 in the X ring. Any broken scoring line is always the higher value.

Bringing the windage over 1 click and shoot 10, can't hurt to try.
I would give those 2X for this match but if called out and a gauge used the torn paper would not fly for the score of X as it the circumference of the bullet and gauge would tell the story. This is why the CMP/NRA are specific on target material and backer.

still a good score and I say the Xs are good!

PIQ6KF8.jpg

Last edited:
Or you could get an allen wrench and move the front sight over a hair and not touch the rear sight at all
I would not bother moving the front sight for that minor adjustment tomorrow the light will be different and you might a a MOA or few change in your zero anyway.

49nUQ23l.jpg

Damn it was cold and gusty today! Why did I ever start this thing? LOL...

Target on the left Winchester M1 Garand recently picked up from CMP Vermont games. First cold bore shot at 8-ring 6:30, don't recall what I last shot in this rifle but for LC Match had to go 4 clicks up and one right for the next 10 shots. 97/0X is OK for me on such a day, probably the rifle would do better than I did.

Target on right via new to me K31 and PPU fmj's. Sold a pretty nice all-matching K31 then a month and a half later ran across this one. Bit of a mixmaster but shoots OK despite a little bore frost near the muzzle. Somebody's old Schutzenfest rifle. Probably would have shot great except for the idiot behind the trigger. Outermost shots at 9:00 and 11:00 were me trying a little Kentucky windage, but a little became a lot. 95 and 3X's all on top of each other not bad. Before this target only took ~5 shots to sight in, and first shot on paper was in the black. Got lucky, because only way I can adjust was via brass punch to the front sight.

I left the office early today after "making an appearance" and headed to my 100 yard range with 15 rounds and my 1903-A3. 5 sighters, 10 for score.

96-0; called that wild 9. This rifle is a tack driver, so this is all me

View: https://imgur.com/a/g4bvA

Shot 20 rounds off hand with my AR afterwards until I could not feel my fingers anymore.

Its amazing how that X ring jumps out of the way on us!

I left the office early today after "making an appearance" and headed to my 100 yard range with 15 rounds and my 1903-A3. 5 sighters, 10 for score.

96-0; called that wild 9. This rifle is a tack driver, so this is all me

View: https://imgur.com/a/g4bvA

Shot 20 rounds off hand with my AR afterwards until I could not feel my fingers anymore.

I kept losing my right thumb on Sunday.

Fingers were getting a little numb after shooting both of my rifles. Very glad the K31 sighted in quickly. Getting close to completely numb after taking a few shots with my neighbor's SCAR.

I'd like to take one rifle (only one!) to the range on Thursday. Should be below zero. Assuming I'm the only one at the range, I'll be a total wuss and drive the truck to the 100 yard line to set targets. Really should shoot the M39 in such weather but not sure if I have any decent ammo.

Its amazing how that X ring jumps out of the way on us!

I had that sucker surrounded with the M1. It was only a matter of time before I either hit it or my fingers started snapping off. X-ring won...

Last edited:
Depending on whats going on in work, Im going to try to cut out at noon on Friday with the M39. Got some surp silver tip and some PPU 150gr.

Didn't know I could enter the contest from Florida.

T

Attachments

• IMG_1389.jpg
    IMG_1389.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1390.jpg
    IMG_1390.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
majspud, that RR Inn has some strange going ons at times. The PD gets called there for undesirables every once in a while. I see you headed up the trail. Thats a nice trip up through there. Nice view from up above the hairpin at the closed down gift shop.

Greg

majspud, that RR Inn has some strange going ons at times. The PD gets called there for undesirables every once in a while. I see you headed up the trail. Thats a nice trip up through there. Nice view from up above the hairpin at the closed down gift shop.Greg

Home now; pics flipped to normal.

Wife and I are looking for a little retirement house "in the country". Were in Millville, Chicopee, Webster, Greenfield, the Hamptons, and Greenfield. Three possibles. All depends on when son gets out of residential care and does/does not come home to us.

t

Been following this thread and have a couple questions.

What positions are acceptable? I see a lot of benched rifles, is that OK or is it just merely run whatcha brung fun match?

Can I enter a target for each MILSURP? Say...a M48, M1, No1Mk4, M1 Carbine?

What positions are acceptable? I see a lot of benched rifles, is that OK or is it just merely run whatcha brung fun match?

As is stated in the first post:
-Any position but special recognition to anyone who shoots prone in the snow.
-Enter as many times as you want for top score.

Yep, as many as you like, WWII or older milsurps with iron sights. Any position.

It was a perfect morning for Finn hardware:

B2Hknx9l.jpg

I think today was officially the coldest day I have ever made a range trip, 3F and wind gusting to 25 mph (minus 20F wind chill). Prior record was 7 degrees F. No matter- I have a goose down parka that's built like a tank by Canucks- no not Canada Goose, I'm not a rich Asian. Can't wear the damn thing unless it's 20F or colder. Cleaned and lubed the M39 with Marvel Mystery Oil. I generally like RemOil, but that stuff turns to gum in this weather. The MMO worked great- action was very slick all morning.

Besides corrosive spam can 54R, I had some cheap Herters 180 gr soft point ammo. Shot decent with it, though for some reason it shoots a little right vs. my preferred Hornady or reloads.

uu3ANYSh.jpg

96 1-X, OK for me. Decent grouping, 2 highest shots are from me trying some Kentucky windage for where the Herters was hitting.

Next up will be one of my M1's. I'd like to check out accuracy and see how they operate with the Mobil 1 grease that I use.

Last edited:
My last postal match was prone only. That tends to limit participation, and damn near prevent participation in this weather. It's all for fun anyway...

All fun man! Thanks for putting it on for everyone. Cool to see results people are getting from various Milsurps. I've got an m48 Mauser that I've only shot once. Bought it for $75 from a Big 5 sporting goods store years ago. Rifle, bayonet, original sling and ammo pouch. I bought a box of Remington Core-Lokt 8mm Mauser and hit the 100yd range. I seem to remember putting all 20 in a paper plate. Then I cleaned it and hung it on the wall wheres its been since. It was/is a cool rifle and I figured it was worth the $75 if even for a wall hanger.

All fun man! Thanks for putting it on for everyone. Cool to see results people are getting from various Milsurps. I've got an m48 Mauser that I've only shot once. Bought it for $75 from a Big 5 sporting goods store years ago. Rifle, bayonet, original sling and ammo pouch. I bought a box of Remington Core-Lokt 8mm Mauser and hit the 100yd range. I seem to remember putting all 20 in a paper plate. Then I cleaned it and hung it on the wall wheres its been since. It was/is a cool rifle and I figured it was worth the $75 if even for a wall hanger.
Get it out there, deserves to be shot. The rem korlok is good ammo but I feel its stout! So far the best 8mm with out spending a lot is ppu match Norma is good also but over $30 box and not worth it imho for milsurps.

My last postal match was prone only. That tends to limit participation, and damn near prevent participation in this weather. It's all for fun anyway...
This cold snap has ruined me. Just getting out of the truck is a pita . hips are darn near locked up from this cold. Noting like easing in to the seasons...

Somewhere between 20 - 30 degrees no big deal but this stuff is really something. Have to get after my college kids to make sure they have clothing for a breakdown, not just quick walks to/from car. Not sure how many years of trying to beat some sense into them will be necessary...

Back
Top Bottom