Winter Warrior Milsurp Postal Match

Been at Ft. Indiantown Gap since TU for a WW2 reenactment. Pulled 2 hour guard duty in freezing rain, it's snowed, and last night it was about 15F with a 20mph wind. We're the event staff German MPs

Attachments

• IMG_4313.JPG
    IMG_4313.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 12
Ok here it is. I haven't shot the carbine in at least a year so I started off at the 100 with just a big piece of scrap cardboard. That isn't even worth posting as I had to walk that sucker in trying to remember where it hits.
Underwood receiver (I'll have to do research to remember what year the receiver is) with a '45 Inland barrel. FAT stock so it's been on the "Italian vacation". I've had this rifle at least 10 years, maybe longer. Always impressed by how well it shoots. All rounds fired from a rest. I couldn't remember if I like shooting this one gripping the magazine or holding the rear of the sling. String 1 is rear of sling, String 2 is gripping the mag.

upload_2018-2-3_18-7-34.jpeg
upload_2018-2-3_18-7-52.jpeg
upload_2018-2-3_18-8-10.jpeg
upload_2018-2-3_18-8-43.jpeg
upload_2018-2-3_18-9-9.jpeg
upload_2018-2-3_18-9-49.jpeg
upload_2018-2-3_18-10-8.jpeg

Ok here it is. I haven't shot the carbine in at least a year so I started off at the 100 with just a big piece of scrap cardboard. That isn't even worth posting as I had to walk that sucker in trying to remember where it hits.
Underwood receiver (I'll have to do research to remember what year the receiver is) with a '45 Inland barrel. FAT stock so it's been on the "Italian vacation". I've had this rifle at least 10 years, maybe longer. Always impressed by how well it shoots. All rounds fired from a rest. I couldn't remember if I like shooting this one gripping the magazine or holding the rear of the sling. String 1 is rear of sling, String 2 is gripping the mag.

View attachment 220508
View attachment 220509
View attachment 220511
View attachment 220512
View attachment 220513
View attachment 220514
View attachment 220515
Very good for a carbine

Was finally able to make it to the range yesterday. During the club's yearly membership dues collection my ID somehow was disabled so I wasn't able to get into the range right away. The guy who runs the system was able to get it straightened out, but I only had a half hour left before sundown. Figured I would shoot the Mosin as she shot the best before and once again she didn't disappoint.

So the range was 24 degrees with the sunlight fading fast. I shot from the bench this time as I didn't have time to set up for prone. I shot one round of 10 to warm the rifle up and then a sting of 10 for score. She shot good from the start and during the scoring round I shot a 98-5X. I stupidly was getting excited and completely screwed up my second to last shot with a flyer at 2 o'clock. I called it in my head as soon as I pulled the trigger. Though for sure I would be in the 8 ring, but luckily stayed inside the 9. Pretty stoked about this round, but would have loved that extra point.

So Mosin Nagant 91/30 shooting a 98-5X. IMG_1052.JPG IMG_1053.JPG IMG_1054.JPG

Was finally able to make it to the range yesterday. During the club's yearly membership dues collection my ID somehow was disabled so I wasn't able to get into the range right away. The guy who runs the system was able to get it straightened out, but I only had a half hour left before sundown. Figured I would shoot the Mosin as she shot the best before and once again she didn't disappoint.

So the range was 24 degrees with the sunlight fading fast. I shot from the bench this time as I didn't have time to set up for prone. I shot one round of 10 to warm the rifle up and then a sting of 10 for score. She shot good from the start and during the scoring round I shot a 98-5X. I stupidly was getting excited and completely screwed up my second to last shot with a flyer at 2 o'clock. I called it in my head as soon as I pulled the trigger. Though for sure I would be in the 8 ring, but luckily stayed inside the 9. Pretty stoked about this round, but would have loved that extra point.

So Mosin Nagant 91/30 shooting a 98-5X. View attachment 220635 View attachment 220636 View attachment 220637

Fantastic shooting!
Now I have to drag my ass back out in the cold and somehow shoot a 99 or 98 6x.
No problem. That should be easy.

So Mosin Nagant 91/30 shooting a 98-5X. View attachment 220635 View attachment 220636 View attachment 220637
Some nice shooting for a mosin, ammo used?

I've been shooting this out of my Mosins for a couple years. Picked up 500 rounds of it several years ago and now down to my last three boxes. Need to find some more of this stuff as my 91/30 loves it.

IMG_1055.JPG

I've been shooting this out of my Mosins for a couple years. Picked up 500 rounds of it several years ago and now down to my last three boxes. Need to find some more of this stuff as my 91/30 loves it.

View attachment 220663
Ahh that yugo is some decent stuff , match grade vs the basic steel cased steel, core or jacket surplus also heavy lIRC 175grain? Much like the brass cased yugo x39

Great shooting! But damn, I was going to try and match the top score just for grins. Gonna be tough...

Soooo, what I hear you saying is "good luck finding any more of it"......
I have not seen any in a long time when it does pop up on GB and such its usually more than ppu new production stuff, Im not paying .50 plus cents for corrosive

Nice shootin' T! With a '91/30 no less. Badass. I have some 7N1 ammo I will see what I can do with my T53 for my last entry into this, but no way am I coming close to that group. :D

I think the weather conditions have passed. 58F, moderate breeze.

1892 M88 Trapdoor Springfield carried by one Clarkson Courtright of the 12th NVI to Santiago, Cuba, from 1/1/1899 to 3/31/1899.

I've shot a lot better with this rifle, but it is what it is. Practiced on the left, and shot a 62 on the right.

T

Attachments

• IMG_4471.JPG
    IMG_4471.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 12
I think the weather conditions have passed. 58F, moderate breeze.

1892 M88 Trapdoor Springfield carried by one Clarkson Courtright of the 12th NVI to Santiago, Cuba, from 1/1/1899 to 3/31/1899.

I've shot a lot better with this rifle, but it is what it is. Practiced on the left, and shot a 62 on the right.

T

I think you win the oldest rifle category. Very cool to drag out the old trap door!

Here's a target from better days. Distinct difference in weather South of the RT195 bridge. I hit 62 and sunny in Middleboro, and at home 3 miles north of the Bourne Bridge, it is 45F, very foggy, and drizzle.

I think this ammo was reloaded with lighter bullets and shot high, as I was aiming at 6:00 in the black.

t

Attachments

• DSCN5295.jpg
    DSCN5295.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 8
Here's a target from better days. Distinct difference in weather South of the RT195 bridge. I hit 62 and sunny in Middleboro, and at home 3 miles north of the Bourne Bridge, it is 45F, very foggy, and drizzle.

I think this ammo was reloaded with lighter bullets and shot high, as I was aiming at 6:00 in the black.

t
Nice was looking at a trap door few weeks ago.
For the most part lighter bullets will hit lower.

Last hurrah. 45F, bright sun, clear, light breeze, pleasant. New box of 30-40. Shot VERY LOW . Wound up aiming at the top edge of the target, which covered the center. Think it was a little right. Nearly no recoil. Need a spotter to adjust the ladder to set at 100. Score 64.

T

Attachments

• IMG_4474.jpg
    IMG_4474.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 7
Last hurrah. 45F, bright sun, clear, light breeze, pleasant. New box of 30-40. Shot VERY LOW . Wound up aiming at the top edge of the target, which covered the center. Think it was a little right. Nearly no recoil. Need a spotter to adjust the ladder to set at 100. Score 64.

T
Your trap door is 30-40 ?

Remington Core-Lokt 180gr.
1902 sight?
t

View attachment 223723

View attachment 223722
dont hold me to it as all my "calcualtions" are "close enough" type of figuring out.
you can use a few methods to try and figure out what the sight graduations will be on any rear sight.
1. you can measure the actual change in the rear sight height with a caliper and then use the "rough" estimate .007" is 1 moa at 100 yards
this will get you close enough.
2. or look at the "balistics" and get a rough guess
so again dont take my word for it but a quick look i came up with moa change per elevation graduation on the 1902 sight
200-300 yards about 5moa 300-400 about 6moa 400-500 8moa and 500-600 aprox 9-10moa

so if you where aiming at the top of the white paper and still hitting low aprox 11" ten you would need to raise your rear sight from 200 mark t the 400 mark for a total of 11moa to get you closer to point of aim to = point of impact at 100 yards...
or change out the front sight

Back
Top Bottom