Wolf 223

I tested some Wolf 223 ammo with a magnet to see if it had a steel core. The bullet was attracted to the magnet but I cut it in half just to be sure. No steel penetrator, just a steel jacket over a lead core with an exyremely thin amount of plating. I fail to see how this stuff could fail to damage a bore.

It's a "bi-metal jacket" so you should still be able to get the bullet to attract to the magnet.

I tested some Wolf 223 ammo with a magnet to see if it had a steel core. The bullet was attracted to the magnet but I cut it in half just to be sure. No steel penetrator, just a steel jacket over a lead core with an exyremely thin amount of plating. I fail to see how this stuff could fail to damage a bore.

It only takes a few microns thickness of copper plating to insulate the steel on steel contact between bullet and bore.

Similar to how an internal combustion engine's piston with steel rings operates in a cylinder with a thin film of oil between the rings and the bore.

Most people couldn't afford enough ammo or time to shoot out the bore of a rifle.

You mean everyone doesn't shoot 5k rounds a month? (What is that these days.... 2 grand?)

Even when ammo was cheap, most people didn't shoot 5K rounds through any gun the whole time they owned it. Lots of guns are put up for resale before they are even broken in.

This is why I rarely buy a new in the box gun. Except for a couple of machineguns, I currently own only four guns bought new in the box, all the others were bought used in good to excellent condition.

The bullet was attracted to the magnet. The jacket is steel. You can wear an AR barrel out in ten thousand rounds or so, I have over 2 thou through mine. I don't buy the one micron protection. I have too much money invested in my super bull barrel (machined in comp) to take any chances. I may be wrong, but I would rather err on the side of caution.

The bullet was attracted to the magnet. The jacket is steel. You can wear an AR barrel out in ten thousand rounds or so, I have over 2 thou through mine. I don't buy the one micron protection. I have too much money invested in my super bull barrel (machined in comp) to take any chances. I may be wrong, but I would rather err on the side of caution.

Shoot what you want through your barrel, but to quote my post accurately, its a few microns not "one" and it is plenty sufficient to lubricate a bullet down the bore.

You'll wear the chamber throat of the barrel out before you'll wear the riflings down.

Shoot what you want through your barrel, but to quote my post accurately, its a few microns not "one" and it is plenty sufficient to lubricate a bullet down the bore.

You'll wear the chamber throat of the barrel out before you'll wear the riflings down.

Please excuse the misquote. I still don't think there is enough plating on the steel bullet jacket to protect the barrel and my barrel is far too expensive to risk. Why take a chance?

Why take a chance?

Do what you want, but I know plenty of people who shoot Wolf ammo with no problems. I asked a guy at the range one day with a VERY expensive match gun that was shooting Wolf, and his reply was "I've never had any problems, and if I do, the money I save by shooting Wolf will more than pay for 3 extra barrels"

BTW, I have shot thousands of rounds of Wolf out of various firearms and haven't noticed even a slight hint of wear...

Wolf .223 is junk! I bought 3 boxes when I picked up my DCM 12 years ago. It will not cycle! Shoots 4" low at 100 yards. I bought a case of Barnuel 5.56 a few days after I picked up the rifle. I sat on it for all this time after my Wolf experience. About 1.5 years ago when ammo went ballistic in $ I decided to try it. Glad I still have it. $55.00 per 880 rounds. $110.00 per 1720rnd case. Great stuff. The rest is M855 and M193. 5000+ rounds for fun. I also reload so Wolf is not an option. I would not use it! In 5.45 I use Bulgarian Wasp, $108.00 per 1080rnd. I tried Wolf again, never again. It is junk!. jp

Back
Top Bottom