• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wolf berdan primers

How hard is it to reload Berdan cases? And remove the old primers, is it worth it?

How hard is it to reload Berdan cases? And remove the old primers, is it worth it?

Worth it? Depends on the caliber you want to reload.

Its not as difficult as you might think to remove old primers.

For .308 brass, I made a tool from a 3 inch masonry nail which is hardened steel. Grinding it to a long point then grinding an intentation to catch the primer cup once its pierced.
You drill a hole in a piece of 2x4 to insert the .308 brass into the hole, mouth first, then using a small hammer and the punch/hook you pierce the primer amd hook it out.
I did 3000 rds of berdan .308 brass that was just too nice to toss and reloaded it all.

Berdan primers are hard to come by, I bought my stock many years ago from Graf&Sons. Couldn't tell you where to get them now.

The largest supplier of betdan primers comes from Russia. Hope they are the size you need.
Is it worth it? Depends on what your loading and availability of boxer primed brass ? Also depends on how much brass you have . I have a few thousand berdan on hand for large rifle and are in reserve when boxer primers are in short supply again

Perhaps you'll do better in Canada...
Primers of JSC «MAPP» were highly appreciated by the Canadian consumer | АО Муромский приборостроительный завод

Otherwise, wait until we start trading with Russia again...
Primers for cartridges of service, sportive & hunting arms | АО Муромский приборостроительный завод

There is a lot of decent brass that would go to waste, if not for a readily-available supply of berdan primers (GP-11 in particular). It's your call, as to being worth the effort. There are those that attempt conversions of the berdan cases, but I find that too involved for my pay grade.
My experience has been that only .217" diameter berdan primers (KV-24N & KV-7,62N) have been available in the USA. That won't help you much with most .303 British, 7.62x54R and 43 Spanish cases, which take much larger diameter primers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom