• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wolff 7.62x39 duds

Recently had a sight in session with my Chinese SKS. Quite a number of Wolff rounds were duds. These appear to be only the gray case rounds and not the "green case" rounds. Firing pin hit was normal in all cases. This ammo was bought in the last several months. Anyone out there with bad ammo?

I have been shooting with a friend who's SKS has not fully struck the Wolf gray cased shells. you can see the dimple is not as deep as in the fired rounds. They will fire when loaded into an AK. The AK is not that fussy.

Tag for all the Wolf stories.

Just to let you know, I've gone through no less than 70 cases of Wolf ammo in various calibers without a single ammo related malfunction. Not saying it couldn't be the ammo, but experience, mine and others tells me different, particularly in 7.62x39.

Follow up

After looking at the 'dud" Wolf 7.62x39s, I noticed that the primers were pushed in.....again the hit was good from the firing pin...also I has some "green cases that did the same thing. Firing pin is clean and works properly....again primers were below flush and appeared to have been pushed in....Primers to shallow for pockets?

After looking at the 'dud" Wolf 7.62x39s, I noticed that the primers were pushed in.....again the hit was good from the firing pin...also I has some "green cases that did the same thing. Firing pin is clean and works properly....again primers were below flush and appeared to have been pushed in....Primers to shallow for pockets?

Did you try refiring any of them? Did they fire on the second strike?

Possible that the primers were not seated correctly. Doubtful if the primers were too shallow but I guess anything is possible.

Case could have been formed without the anvil to set off primer.

I have not had many issues with wolf ammo. I noticed that sometimes the my ar15 does not cycle all the way with the wolf ammo. I was told that it was caused from wolf ammo firing a little under pressure. I also want to mention that not all wolf ammo is cheap. From what I have heard, some of there ammo is made in Germany and is pretty good stuff.

Here is a video that might interest you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXpVzd7GsEk

From the sound of things, I suspect your rifle may have a headspace problem. I'd take it to a well qualified gunsmith.

Back
Top Bottom