Let's hope it catches on and becomes a bigger movement.
Want to see a politician twitch ? Put him in a position where they seem anti LGBT by being anti 2A.

I've been screaming about this for years! We should get as many LGBT amoungst our ranks as possible. And we need them to push and promote. It absolutely nullifies the progressives arguments against the 2nd. The cognitive dissonance it produces leaves them totally flummoxed. You can actually watch the facial ticks that develop.

The NRA was FOUNDED in a large part to re-affirm the Rights Of Blacks to own firearms.

If we could somehow get more Blacks to realize the 2A is their CIVIL RIGHT, progress could be made.

Citizens that own Firearms LEGALLY tend to be RESPONSIBLE CITIZENS.

There is no way any Citizen that owns a Legal Firearm would ever vote for a person who is determined to deny them that right.

The Pink Pistols are a great organization. They promote self-reliance and taking responsibility for your own safety. I know it's not fashionable on NES to admit to caring about whether or not gay people live or die, but I've got a couple of friends who are gay and they've had horrible experiences when they haven't been doing anything. One of them was thrown down a flight of stairs in Jesus' name with no excuse other than "Jesus hates gays." I'm a Libertarian and a huge fan of *everyone* being able to defend themselves. The next time some rednecks decide to pull a Matthew Shepard on someone, I would love for the potential victim to pull out a gun and make the world a better place.

The NRA was FOUNDED in a large part to re-affirm the Rights Of Blacks to own firearms.

If we could somehow get more Blacks to realize the 2A is their CIVIL RIGHT, progress could be made.
Firearms ownership used to be huge in the black community. They recognized the vital importance of self-defense in the post-slavery era and during the civil rights era. Ida B Wells, Harriet Tubman, Malcom X, Dr King - all proud gun owners. Then the left somehow succeeded in convincing blacks that they would forever be victims of gun violence and should vote blue - if anyone knows more about the history of how that happened, please share.

The Pink Pistols are a great organization. They promote self-reliance and taking responsibility for your own safety.
This. I follow them on FB - good bunch of folks.

I once did a presentation at Boston College about the "gun debate" and talked about the Pink Pistols, Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership, and Colion Noir. The only sound you could hear was jaws hitting desks [laugh]

Pink Pistols have been around for a while, too. I'm guessing at least 8-10 years now. They march in the gay pride parades out in San Fran.

Makes the liberals out there go absolutely bonkers.

The Pink Pistols are a great organization. They promote self-reliance and taking responsibility for your own safety. I know it's not fashionable on NES to admit to caring about whether or not gay people live or die, but I've got a couple of friends who are gay and they've had horrible experiences when they haven't been doing anything. One of them was thrown down a flight of stairs in Jesus' name with no excuse other than "Jesus hates gays." I'm a Libertarian and a huge fan of *everyone* being able to defend themselves. The next time some rednecks decide to pull a Matthew Shepard on someone, I would love for the potential victim to pull out a gun and make the world a better place.
Unfortunately, the Boston PP chapter has been defunct for many years, although I don't know that it was a very viable chapter. Having an active chapter here in Massachusetts would be a great asset.

Firearms ownership used to be huge in the black community. They recognized the vital importance of self-defense in the post-slavery era and during the civil rights era. Ida B Wells, Harriet Tubman, Malcom X, Dr King - all proud gun owners. Then the left somehow succeeded in convincing blacks that they would forever be victims of gun violence and should vote blue - if anyone knows more about the history of how that happened, please share.

If one has any doubts about the framer intent regarding the Second Amendment, they only need to look closely at rationale for passing the Fourteenth Amendment. The disarmament of freedmen was a key a central driver behind the 14A. The framers of the 14th Amendment clearly intended for the Second Amendment (and the rest of the BOR) to apply to all men.

I don't think a lot has been written about this with any level of scientific or academic rigor, but I've kinda ruminated on this question a little bit since you posted.

Some thoughts I've been kicking around. I mean, I'm white, and this is pretty blatant whitesplaining, but until someone who actually is Black, or has done some academic research into this, puts in his or her two cents, it's probably all we're gonna have.

• Due to the Great Migration in the first two-thirds of the 20th century, a large portion of the African-American population in the US transitioned from an agrarian, rural, Southern life, to a Northern, urbanized, industrial one. White or Black, urbanized populations tend to rely on police for defense against crime to a greater extent than their more rural cousins. If nothing else, urbanization means that the police are closer by and can respond faster. Also, Northern cities like New York, Chicago, and Boston had placed extensive restrictions on ownership and carrying of arms well before the Great Migration had started. Chicago in particular was a magnet for African-American internal migrants from the South, with the Illinois Central railroad up the Mississippi, and later Highway 61 (yes, the one commemorated by Bob Dylan), providing a convenient pipeline to the North for the hopeful.
  • African-American civil rights leaders in the 1960s mostly recognized that open-carry of arms and the use of armed resistance as part of the civil-rights struggle could well trigger a race war--a war which they would lose. They also recognized that nonviolent protest would be "taking the high road" and would get them more sympathy both at home and internationally.
  • The Gun Control Act of 1968 worked together with the expanding number of felonies, several decades of "get tough on crime" laws, and discriminatory enforcement to systematically disarm African-Americans, and especially AA men, by turning them into "prohibited persons". This meant that gun ownership could no longer be a thing for many African-Americans. I can only speculate as to whether that systematic disarmament was part of the original intent of GCA68, or whether this was an accident. But I do note that the aforementioned scenario of Black Panthers wandering around openly armed informed the debate surrounding GCA68.
  • The epidemic of violence in the inner cities in the 1960s-90s, which disproportionately affected African-Americans, made gun bans look like a good idea to many people. Yes, I know the idea doesn't hold water once you bring up the evidence that it doesn't help--but it has huge emotional appeal, as one can see from the large number of people among the general public who clamor for restrictions on guns after a mass shooting happens.

The Democratic Party solidified itself as the party of African-American voters--mostly--with the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The Republican Party did try, about 20-30 years ago, to capture the growing number of middle-class people of color as a constituency, because they shared middle-class values of hard work, education, and achievement. They were also largely socially-conservative, with many African-Americans being evangelical Baptists. I'm not sure where that effort fell short.

I don't think a lot has been written about this with any level of scientific or academic rigor, but I've kinda ruminated on this question a little bit since you posted.

Some thoughts I've been kicking around. I mean, I'm white, and this is pretty blatant whitesplaining, but until someone who actually is Black, or has done some academic research into this, puts in his or her two cents, it's probably all we're gonna have.

• Due to the Great Migration in the first two-thirds of the 20th century, a large portion of the African-American population in the US transitioned from an agrarian, rural, Southern life, to a Northern, urbanized, industrial one. White or Black, urbanized populations tend to rely on police for defense against crime to a greater extent than their more rural cousins. If nothing else, urbanization means that the police are closer by and can respond faster. Also, Northern cities like New York, Chicago, and Boston had placed extensive restrictions on ownership and carrying of arms well before the Great Migration had started. Chicago in particular was a magnet for African-American internal migrants from the South, with the Illinois Central railroad up the Mississippi, and later Highway 61 (yes, the one commemorated by Bob Dylan), providing a convenient pipeline to the North for the hopeful.
  • African-American civil rights leaders in the 1960s mostly recognized that open-carry of arms and the use of armed resistance as part of the civil-rights struggle could well trigger a race war--a war which they would lose. They also recognized that nonviolent protest would be "taking the high road" and would get them more sympathy both at home and internationally.
  • The Gun Control Act of 1968 worked together with the expanding number of felonies, several decades of "get tough on crime" laws, and discriminatory enforcement to systematically disarm African-Americans, and especially AA men, by turning them into "prohibited persons". This meant that gun ownership could no longer be a thing for many African-Americans. I can only speculate as to whether that systematic disarmament was part of the original intent of GCA68, or whether this was an accident. But I do note that the aforementioned scenario of Black Panthers wandering around openly armed informed the debate surrounding GCA68.
  • The epidemic of violence in the inner cities in the 1960s-90s, which disproportionately affected African-Americans, made gun bans look like a good idea to many people. Yes, I know the idea doesn't hold water once you bring up the evidence that it doesn't help--but it has huge emotional appeal, as one can see from the large number of people among the general public who clamor for restrictions on guns after a mass shooting happens.

The Democratic Party solidified itself as the party of African-American voters--mostly--with the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The Republican Party did try, about 20-30 years ago, to capture the growing number of middle-class people of color as a constituency, because they shared middle-class values of hard work, education, and achievement. They were also largely socially-conservative, with many African-Americans being evangelical Baptists. I'm not sure where that effort fell short.

I'd say in addition to all the above, Lyndon B. Johnson's Great Society package (of which he said would "keep the n*****s voting Democrat for the next 200 years!") pushed many Blacks onto welfare, keeping many in perpetual poverty and breeding a dependency on .gov. Violent gun-related crime rates skyrocket in the inner city Black communities, and the libs tell them (and everyone else) that guns are the problem.

Back
Top Bottom