Woodpecker drilling holes in house.

Ribbon.

Older friend of mine has a 3' piece of ribbon tacked to his house (same color as his house), and I asked what gives? Told me that was an old trick used to scare off woodpeckers. Tack it up just over the spot, so it swings in the wind across the area they peck at. He showed me a couple of places that he had done so.

So, when I had the same issue, I tacked up ribbon just over the spot, sure enough seemed to work for me. Not sure why, but they don't like it.

I would guess that the silver mylar tape previously mentioned may do the same thing.

Yup, exactly the same thing.

my neighbor just redid the whole side of his house with that texture 9 plywood(with grooves) stuff wasnt cheap at all....a woodpecker destroyed a section of it he discovered recently...I told him I heard hangin one of those cheap pie tins on a string help scare them away when they blow in the wind etc..worth a shot

This works, so do Mylar balloons.

You have a moisture problem and insects, the woodpecker is just letting you know.

Yes, except when you have a retarded woodpecker. I used to have one that would bang on the metal chimney. The first time it happened, I had no idea what was going on. It was very loud and rang throughout the whole house like someone running a jackhammer.

i had one trying to drill through an aluminum flue cap. multiple times. thought my gas furnace was blowing up. one day i was outside heard it, looked up and spotted him/her. stopped doing it, never knew why.

I had the same exact problem with the fireplace flu! since I could reach it from an addition roof I took a piece of cedar, and ran sheet rock screws through it pointing straight up. put that on top of the flu, and no more issues

Back
Top Bottom