Worcester Pistol and Rifle Club

A minor club status update.

All ranges are online and functional.

Moisture: Who would have thought last spring, while in the middle of drought that we'd have a moisture problem. But we do. Caution around muddy areas.

Outside wooden ground target stands. The stenciled "No Targets Here" is painted on the bottom of the ground target stands is causing some confusion. What the club is trying to get across is not to put clay's, bottles, cans, pumpkins, steel, etc. on the ground wooden stands. The wooden ground target stands are to put and hold vertically the wooden target uprights where you place your paper targets.

Outside Pistol Only range: Both wooden ground target stands and hanging stands in place. Please only place paper targets on these stands. Water / mud on the far right side closet to the berms. Caution and try to avoid the area.

Outside Action Pit: The large blue tarps will be expanded as it is assisting in spent case management. Probably going to swap out the blue tarps with more of a mesh tarp to let snow and rain through in the near future. Some pooling of water, but not to bad. We do have a drain towards the right side of the berm by the cement cube wall that drains over towards the club house parking lot.

Outside Rifle Range: 25 and 50 yard in good shape. Both have some minor water softness issues. 75 yard as stated above, use the pallets to walk on to hang targets. 100 yard rubber berm in good shape, although we haven't put the donated steel gongs back up.

Please remember that all shooting is from the shooting stands on all rifle ranges. If you want to get up personal with your shooting, please use the Action Pit, hence the name "Action". [wink]

Inside Pistol Range: 3 lanes open. Please maintain safe distance between shooters, keep the ventilation fans on.

There is no need to sign in to the log book. Your member key fob records your entry and exit.

Thanks to all members who clean up after they are done. We have many garbage and brass/casings buckets at every shooting stand along with tools to help pickup both garbage and casings. Doesn't matter if your camping, fishing, hunting, ATV'ing, sledding, shooting or any other activity not on your property, leave the place better than you found it. [thumbsup]

Didn't mean to come off "FUDDY", as that was not my intention. Just passing on info and trying to answer questions that have been asked.

Jay

Last edited:
Be careful discussing what may be protected vernal pools in a public forum :eek:
what is happening now may not be vernal pools. we had an early ground frost which froze the ground several inches (a foot or so) deep, then with the rains and up and down temperatures we defrosted the surface but not the deeper frost . in this case the uppermost layer of soil becomes saturated and may actually have pools forming , the water is perched due to the deeper frost, it's usually temporary until the spring thaw which will allow the normal drainage to return.

Appreciate all the hard work.
I hope we're not expanding the tarps too much in the action pit. We need to be able to use it for actrion shooting and can't if there are tarps everywhere that we can't run on or put out steel targets over. I completely understand their use but hope we aren't eliminating the purposeof that pit.

Appreciate all the hard work.
I hope we're not expanding the tarps too much in the action pit. We need to be able to use it for actrion shooting and can't if there are tarps everywhere that we can't run on or put out steel targets over. I completely understand their use but hope we aren't eliminating the purposeof that pit.
Not intending to expand the tarps much more. I'm experimenting with different solutions. Can definitely reposition them if they are getting in the way of the use of the "Action" part of the "Action Pit"as that was not my intention.

I know for competitions, I was going to fold them off to the side, but agree and did not 100% account for other times.

It was mostly for the winter time. I was thinking maybe I could use different spikes and members could just fold the tarps off to the side berms. Kinda like folding a bed sheet.

Thanks for the feedback as I need all opinions on usage.

Jay

I will adjust, remove, or modify how the tarps are on the ground in the Action Pit sometime this weekend or early Monday (at the latest) before the next snow storm predicted for next week.

They are spiked pretty good in ground, but with a large crow bar and a wood spacer, I should be able to get them out of the frozen ground without ripping the hell out of the tarps.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jay

For those who don't follow the rules, we can go with "What we have here, is a failure, to communicate!" Great movie with lots of great actors and great lines, and an even greater car wash scene! 😍
And currently playing on Netflix or Amazon (forgot which, re-watched it a couple of nights ago)

I believe Netflix. My wife let me pick a movie a week or two ago, and that was it. The other option I gave her was we watch an older movie on TMC 😁
You've got problems more serious than an ammo/primer shortage if you can only pick your own movies once every week or two o_O

I will adjust, remove, or modify how the tarps are on the ground in the Action Pit sometime this weekend or early Monday (at the latest) before the next snow storm predicted for next week.

They are spiked pretty good in ground, but with a large crow bar and a wood spacer, I should be able to get them out of the frozen ground without ripping the hell out of the tarps.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jay

One tarp removed, second tarp rolled up, and I left the third tarp in place. There is plenty of free original action pit square footage that should not interfere with any movement or footing.

I'll work on other solutions after the predicted snow storm, or spring time. Whichever comes last... [thumbsup]

Jay

tXFt6x5.jpg

Vendor evaluation?

I knew someone would ask. [smile]

Besides ongoing maintenance on Tuesday morning, we continue to try and think of new ways to utilize our limited indoor range space. Personally, I like the configuration, but the heaters, air exhaust technology are a little dated for example. Having a fresh set of eyes looking over our range is a positive thing. Which necessitates the range to be closed for a few hours. Kinda tough to look over walls, ceilings, backstop, take measurements, etc. while members are using the range.

It's all to make things better for all members. [thumbsup]

Jay

Just a heads up. We have the town upgrading our electrical from a single phase to three phase for upcoming projects. Today they are installing a new pole. Please use caution around their trucks.
Still full access to all outdoor ranges. The Indoor range is open, but the parking lot is tight.

Not sure of the ET of today's work.

Jay

Cool. What new projects need three phase? We have three phase at Hopkinton as a legacy from a previous president (licensed electrician) used for some rooftop A/C that aged beyond its lifecycle and has been replaced with single phase units.

Does Worcester have town electric? I'm asking because you mention the town doing the electrical work.

Cool. What new projects need three phase? We have three phase at Hopkinton as a legacy from a previous president (licensed electrician) used for some rooftop A/C that aged beyond its lifecycle and has been replaced with single phase units.

Does Worcester have town electric? I'm asking because you mention the town doing the electrical work.
Worcester Pistol & Rifle is in Boylston and they have their own muni.

We have a great relationship with the Boylston Electric Light Department (and all town departments for that matter). They had the proper parts in stock to upgrade our service, along with trimming some trees, great weather, and their schedule was very accommodating. They are very professional. Much nicer than dealing with the "other" National option.

As for need, some of the motors I'm upgrading run more efficiently, run safer and are less costly using three-phase circuits.. It also gives the club the ability to do other upgrades in the coming years without having to upgrade the power. Yes, I do understand you can use a phase converter to work around the single-phase. But my understanding is the three-phase provides a constant power supply that is not possible with a single-phase system and three-phase motors have more power and have a longer service life.

I look at it as an investment and once done, we never have to look back on this subject.

I am NOT an Electrician, but I can follow along when the professionals explain things to me, especially when multiple trades say the about same thing.

Jay

Yup, three phase is useful with better electric motors. Just wondering - what motors do you use? I've been a guest at that club and didn't see any, but all my activity was outdoors.

It does seem like a generally good idea.

You can follow along with the Worcester Pistol & Rifle Indoor Pistol Range Upgrade Project 2021

I will attempt to respond to questions, comments, concerns, conundrums in that thread. [thumbsup]

Briefly.

Included, but not limited to: Lead removal, clean out of hazardous material, three-phase power upgrade, demolition/removal/disposal of existing bullet trap, demolition of existing linoleum flooring, demolition/removal/disposal of existing HV system, demolition/removal/disposal of existing target retrieval system, demolition/removal/disposal of existing ceiling/wall sound absorbing panels, repair roof from removal of HV system.

Installation of a "Purge" type weapons range ventilation system w/heat, two exterior concrete surface pads for new HV equipment, interior concrete surface repair, new flooring underneath new shooting stands, air sealing, granular rubber bullet trap, ballistic wall/ceiling panels w/sound absorbing material, new shooting stands w/solid bottom half ballistic protection & top half clear ballistic separators (almost 4 inches thick), individual motorized track target retrieval system w/180 degree rotation ability, individual control panels per shooting lane, fresh paint and more.

Expected completion of Thanksgiving 2021

More details and pictures to follow.

Good monthly Work Party yesterday. Good participation and we accomplished what we needed to get done. Garbage all cleared, tree limps cut back, general clean up, casing buckets emptied, target stand work and more.

The Outside Pistol range (which requires the most time) has many repaired target stands, both ground and cable based. All other outside ranges had their upright target stands ready to use. Please only use paper or cardboard targets on the target stands uprights netting and please don't put clay's, bottles, kitchen pans, computer hard drives, Ex-Spouses items, medical waste, vegetation, children's toys, rocks, soda bottles, bio hazard items or any other ground based targets on the bottom of the wooden shooting stands. The bottom 2X6 pressure treated wood stands are made to hold the wood 1x2 target uprights vertically. In the Outside Pistol and Outside Action Pit, the bottom shooting stands are not spiked down. You can move them where you want or out of the way if you bring your own stands.

The shooting stands uprights are made out wooden furring strips (d'oh :eek: ) with plastic or nylon netting in place for your targets held with clothes pins. They work quite well for rim fire, center fire pistol or rifle. Shotgun, well, not so much. Shotgun spread pattern just destroys the wooden frame. Kinda seems nit picky, but if you'd like to destroy your own target stands with shotguns, knock yourself out. Many members bring their own target stands to use. If enough members are interested, we can have a "Make your own Stand" mini workshop. I can provide you with a material list either in wood or PVC. You can make target stands for paper/cardboard, or a stronger version for your own steel. You all can read in between the lines . [thumbsup]

Thank you Dee Dee, Mike G., Derek, Andy, Pete, Walt, and Dave for the help (Sry if I missed anyone). Your help does make a difference. [party]

Next Monthly Work Party is June 13th.

Jay

Just a heads up about insect control on the range. We are playing a little catch up on insect control and grass overgrowth (those ticks love the tall grass), so please use bug spray when out on the range. We've had the club's grounds sprayed multiple times. The tall grass got ahead of us, and I just got "The Beast", a DR Field & Brush Mower running. It had been sitting unused for many years. The first cut on parts of the rifle range worked great, but I ran out of gas and time. More will be done very soon and then we'll be back on a schedule with our regular landscaper. My bad for procrastinating on the scheduling.

Just from doing about an hour of deep brush cutting, my pants and boots had a lot of ticks.

Also, a second heads up that tomorrow, Friday May 21st, GOAL will be holding an "Intro Into IDPA" coarse in the Outside Action Pit. This class runs all day. Bring sunscreen and bug spray. [thumbsup]

Jay

Back
Top Bottom