Worcester Pistol & Rifle Club Pin Shoot Cancelled

john1911

NES Member
I am cancelling the May 31st match. I think it is still too early to gather and I don't have any way to limit the number of shooters. I think before the June 28th match we should have this worked out.

2020 Pin Shoots​
June
28​
July
26​
August
30​
September
27​
October
25​
November
29​

It looks like the Pin shoot for June is still a go. It has been probably close to 15 years since I have attended one, is there anything new I should know? Is there a preregistration or is it still just show up and register? What is the "average" round count? Thanks in advance for any info.

It looks like the Pin shoot for June is still a go. It has been probably close to 15 years since I have attended one, is there anything new I should know? Is there a preregistration or is it still just show up and register? What is the "average" round count? Thanks in advance for any info.

I'm just copying from the WPRC Pin Shoot page:

Bowling Pin Shoots

Pin shoots are fun, competitive, practical shooting that sharpens one’s handgun skills under pressure. Shooters are paired against one another, with the round winner advancing to the next level, until an overall match winner is determined. The shooter must clear the table to advance in the winner’s bracket. Shooters that are eliminated continue to shoot in the runner-up bracket. We have three separate matches for one fee $7 WP&R Club members are asked for a $5 donation.

We use ten pins and candle pins that are cut in half, the shooter starts at low ready loaded with six rounds, there are six pins on a table. Hand guns only, iron (open) sights no red dot, laser or compensator. Semi-auto and revolver any caliber is acceptable 9mm, 22, 38, 40, 44, 45, 357. Twenty-two shooters compete with centerfire. The first magazine is limited to six rounds but shooters load additional magazines to capacity. Typically shooters need approximately hundred rounds, bring more.

Registration begins at Noon, first shots at 12:30 pm after a mandatory safety briefing;
we are normally done before 3pm, check the club calendar for dates. Join our Yahoo group to receive e-mail reminders of upcoming matches.

I highlighted the answers to your questions. I would also add, in these crazy times, bring a mask. We have a shooting bench but with people separated by the 6 foot Chinese Corona Virus Rule, we'll probably set up a few other table to keep distances.

It would be nice to bring exact change, so John is not handling money. I know he didn't ask or is a requirement, but just a suggestion.

Hope it helps.

Jay

Last edited:
I'm just coping from the WPRC Pin Shoot page:

Bowling Pin Shoots

Pin shoots are fun, competitive, practical shooting that sharpens one’s handgun skills under pressure. Shooters are paired against one another, with the round winner advancing to the next level, until an overall match winner is determined. The shooter must clear the table to advance in the winner’s bracket. Shooters that are eliminated continue to shoot in the runner-up bracket. We have three separate matches for one fee $7 WP&R Club members are asked for a $5 donation.

We use ten pins and candle pins that are cut in half, the shooter starts at low ready loaded with six rounds, there are six pins on a table. Hand guns only, iron (open) sights no red dot, laser or compensator. Semi-auto and revolver any caliber is acceptable 9mm, 22, 38, 40, 44, 45, 357. Twenty-two shooters compete with centerfire. The first magazine is limited to six rounds but shooters load additional magazines to capacity. Typically shooters need approximately hundred rounds, bring more.

Registration begins at Noon, first shots at 12:30 pm after a mandatory safety briefing;
we are normally done before 3pm, check the club calendar for dates. Join our Yahoo group to receive e-mail reminders of upcoming matches.

I highlighted the answers to your questions. I would also add, in these crazy times, bring a mask. We have a shooting bench but with people separated by the 6 foot Chinese Corona Virus Rule, we'll probably set up a few other table to keep distances.

Hope it helps.

Jay

Thanks Jay, you would have thought I would look there first. Given that most if not all of the ranges here (a few exceptions) in MA are run by volunteers, I automatically assume that the websites aren't up to date. Bad on me, I know. Thanks again for the info. Hopefully I'll be able to make it this weekend.

Thanks Jay, you would have thought I would look there first. Given that most if not all of the ranges here (a few exceptions) in MA are run by volunteers, I automatically assume that the websites aren't up to date. Bad on me, I know. Thanks again for the info. Hopefully I'll be able to make it this weekend.

Absolutely no worries. I was not being an ass, it's just easier to cut and paste what John wrote. I can be lazy.

Jay

Is there a cap on the number of entrants? I only ask because I’ll be traveling a bit to get there, so just want to make sure I won’t get turned away due to capacity.

Is there a cap on the number of entrants? I only ask because I’ll be traveling a bit to get there, so just want to make sure I won’t get turned away due to capacity.

Excellent question. I really don't know the answer though. I'm thinking we might just set up a few extra tables and chairs and shooters can keep some semblance of "social distancing" while waiting. The person calling the shooters to the line should be aware of the extra distance between shooters waiting to be called. It's all a little new way of doing Pin Shoots.

When you're on the shooting line, there is 6 feet between shooters and the SO's are in back of the shooters and can stay 6 feet behind.

I'm thinking John C. will have it all workable by time Sunday comes. I'm just kinda spitballing until they respond.

Jay

Thank you for a great day guys. It was good to get back into it, it had been 15 years since my last WPRC pin shoot. Wished I could have done better, but it was fun nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom