Worcester Pistol Rifle Outside Rifle Range Upgrade Project

Status update. Knee wall and catch basin concrete just finished being poured.
Completion of contractor part should be this week, depending on weather (just started to rain).
Next phase should begin after contractor wraps up.
Sry, but no ETC yet. The Action Pit and Pistol is open though.
I'll post pictures after I shrink them down.

Jay

So the goal of this is to catch the bullets?

Not exactly "catching", but more "absorbing". With just a dirt berm, the rounds would penetrate the dirt, hit some ledge, and vaporize into the dirt. With the rubber trap, the rounds go into the rubber. You actually could dig out your bullets out of the rubber. The rubber is over 2 feet thick in places. At a certain point or round count, we will have a dedicated company come in and clean it out. That might be quite a while before we get to the point of needing a clean out.

But to answer the question. The "goal" was to be better stewards of our land. At the completion of this project, we will have removed all the lead,copper, etc. that has been shot into the berm since 1947, treated the remaining dirt with a "lead encapsulation" material, properly removed contaminants through a licensed contractor off the property, have the soil tested in a licensed lab, re-angled the berm to 27 degree's, poured a cement berm for the rubber to sit on, framed the cement berm with 6x6 PT railroad timber, filled the berm with rubber, installed a catch basin with a two stage filtering system (one metal colander type and a second replaceable HEPA filter), install a knee wall with 6x6 PT railroad timber in front of it, new target stands with AR500 steel protecting the hold down mechanism, and to look more professional than the old 1947 design.

The above was the major objective or goal. There are other minor things we are doing to compliment the new berm/trap.

The new target stands are delayed. We will install some of the old style target stands in back of the knee wall when we open up this range.

Oh, and with all the proper documentation from the licensed contractors and labs, we'll be proactively ready to answer any questions about our property. Please read between the lines, but you get the idea.

Jay

Status update:
While I have lots of step by step pictures, I'm going to cut to the chase, so to speak.

It is not 100% ready to be opened, but we are getting closer every day. I should have had a bigger American Flag during construction, but at least it was up. The plan is coming together.

Jay

9Mbnwgc.jpg

A few more pictures.

Most major work is completed. Down to the punch list and pushing to get the range back online as soon as possible. Keep an eye on the club's website for any announcements and I'll update as I hear more.

Jay

View from shooting stands. I'll double check exact measurement, but I'm pretty sure this about 110 yards from shooting stand.

04gKuMY.jpg

about 65 yds from shooting stands. Note the berm pile to the left of the bridge is the 75 yard berm.

xxWalh1.jpg

back of knee wall where shooting target stands will be installed:

FjW7Kr9.jpg

left of project. Still needs more brush push back.

9Hcmm5U.jpg

A few more pictures.

Most major work is completed. Down to the punch list and pushing to get the range back online as soon as possible. Keep an eye on the club's website for any announcements and I'll update as I hear more.

Jay

View from shooting stands. I'll double check exact measurement, but I'm pretty sure this about 110 yards from shooting stand.

04gKuMY.jpg

about 65 yds from shooting stands. Note the berm pile to the left of the bridge is the 75 yard berm.

xxWalh1.jpg

back of knee wall where shooting target stands will be installed:

FjW7Kr9.jpg

left of project. Still needs more brush push back.

9Hcmm5U.jpg
What is that little wall made of and how long will it last?

What is that little wall made of and how long will it last?

Great question. The knee wall is 30 inches tall, 45 feet wide and 6 inches thick of rebar reinforced concrete. 6x6 PT timbers are bolted into the front and sides with
Red Head LDT (Large Diameter Tapcon) Grade 5 hardened carbon steel / zinc plated anchors.

Not a slacker construction at all. Very solid. Very professional.

Some type of protection will go in front.

The second picture shows a factory picture of the target holders, which are back ordered.

As far as how long it will last. Another very good question. Not sure. Depends on maintenance and usage.

Jay

LVu1yFZ.jpg

This is not our range, but shows the target hangers location.

RdOprnd.jpg

So it sounds like no more being able to use our own steel targets at 100yd but any idea if we'll still be allowed to put steel at the other distance berms?

Another great question. I don't want to get ahead of any near future club announcements, but I think you and other members who like to "hear" their shots will be happy.

Jay

I’m all for the club investing in permanent steel targets for rifle and pistol. Can’t those get made locally by a welding shop?
I work for a metal shop, specifically wire and sheet metal. We can make anything as long as we have something to go by.

I am hoping we can still use steel as i enjoy it without having to go down range a bunch.

Thanks for all the info Jay, it's really appreciated. Hoping they will have or allow some hangers so we can use our own as i picked up some monsters that need slaying :)
steel1.jpg

Another great question. I don't want to get ahead of any near future club announcements, but I think you and other members who like to "hear" their shots will be happy.

Jay

I work for a metal shop, specifically wire and sheet metal. We can make anything as long as we have something to go by. I am hoping we can still use steel as i enjoy it without having to go down range a bunch.

This! Your ears must be ringing as much discussion is ongoing. I just can not get ahead of the official club plans. [party]

Jay

Thank you for the updates!

Really glad to hear that the club is considering steel. It would be so nice to not have to haul my steel to the range and set it up.

I hate to be the pessimist, but I see that knee wall getting blown to bits in no time. Will a 5.56 or 7.62x39 go though a 6x6 PT? I am thinking .308 definitely would. I say double up the PT or put a dirt pile in front of it.

Thank you for the updates! Really glad to hear that the club is considering steel. It would be so nice to not have to haul my steel to the range and set it up.

I hate to be the pessimist, but I see that knee wall getting blown to bits in no time. Will a 5.56 or 7.62x39 go though a 6x6 PT? I am thinking .308 definitely would. I say double up the PT or put a dirt pile in front of it.

My pleasure posting updates. The club has hundreds of members and the more info we get out there the better for all. This is not the last project by any stretch. The club President along with the Executive Board likes to invest and update the facilities.

I agree totally about protecting the knee wall to make it last as long as possible. Most rifle calibers will go through 6x6 PT timbers. We have some left over timbers. Might be time to do some "Timber Test". Kinda like when you see some people do their own "Gel Test" on YouTube? But I'm pretty sure what the results will show us.

Stay tuned, it is being discussed and worked on presently.

Jay

Jay, any word on when we can actually stand next to each other again and not have to wear full surgical gear? I would love to go back there again one day and shoot.
My pleasure posting updates. The club has hundreds of members and the more info we get out there the better for all. This is not the last project by any stretch. The club President along with the Executive Board likes to invest and update the facilities.

I agree totally about protecting the knee wall to make it last as long as possible. Most rifle calibers will go through 6x6 PT timbers. We have some left over timbers. Might be time to do some "Timber Test". Kinda like when you see some people do their own "Gel Test" on YouTube? But I'm pretty sure what the results will show us.

Jay

Happy to bring some 308 and full load 405 grain 45/70 to help with testing :)

Jay
If the club wanted to protect the wall with AR500 or even 400 which is cheaper, I can cut it to size at my work on our laser. Thank you for the updates Jay, I haven't made it out to the club the last couple weeks to see the progress, might have to do that tonight.

Jay
Would it make sense to push some fill up to the wall? Or would that be defeating the purpose of all the work they did removing the lead?

Latest message from the President of Worcester Pistol Rifle Club

URGENT NOTICE
THE OUTDOOR RIFLE RANGE
CONSTRUCTION IS COMPLETED. WE WILL BE CONSTRUCTING SOME TEMPORARY TARGET STANDS
THIS SUNDAY. WE WILL TRY TO HAVE THE 100 YARD RANGE OPEN BY JULY 22ND. PLEASE CHECK THIS SITE FOR THE EXACT DATE TO REOPEN. THE 25, 50, AND 75 YARD IMPACT AREA’S WILL NOT BE OPEN. THOSE WILL REQUIRE SOME WORK IN ORDER TO REOPEN.
100 YARD RANGE RULES: NO SHOOTING AT ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE TARGET STAND AT THE IMPACT AREA. DO NOT SHOOT AT OR PLACE ANY TARGET IN FRONT OF OR ON TOP OF THE WOOD KNEE WALL. ALL ROUNDS MUST ENTER THE BLACK AREA BEHIND THE TARGETS. WE WILL BE INSTALLING NEW TARGET STANDS WHEN THEY ARRIVE IN 4 TO 6 WEEKS. WE ARE ALSO GOING TO INSTALL A COUPLE OF STEEL PLATES BETWEEN THE PAPER TARGET STANDS. TO SHOOT AT THE 100 YARD IMPACT AREA, YOU MUST BE INSIDE THE NEW SHOOTING STAND. PLEASE TAKE CARE OF THIS NEW IMPACT AREA. IT WAS YOUR MONEY THAT BUILT IT. ANYONE CAUGHT DOING DAMAGE TO THIS BY NOT FOLLOWING THE RULES WILL BE DEALT WITH.
WE HAVE POSTPONED OUR JUMPIN JUNE DRAWING TO THE SEPTEMBER MEETING. WE ARE GIVING AWAY A SIG P365 AND MANY OTHER GREAT ITEMS. YOU MAY STILL GET TICKETS IF YOU MAIL IN TO OUR PO BOX ADDRESS. SEND IN A CHECK AND GET 6 TICKETS FOR $20 MADE OUT TO WPRC AND INDICATE THAT IT IS FOR THE DRAWING.
DUE TO COVID-19 THERE
WILL BE RESTRICTION THAT WILL NEED TO BE FOLLOWED: PLEASE READ ALL POSTED SIGNAGE
INDOOR RANGE WILL BE RESTRICTED TO LANES 1, 3, AND 5
. FACE MASK’S MUST BE WORN IF YOU ARE INDOORS
THE NEW RIFLE RANGE SHOOTING STAND MUST HAVE ALL THE DOORS OPEN AND ONLY 1 SHOOTER PER TABLE.
WHEN ARE DONE SHOOTING, CLOSE ALL THE DOORS IF NO ONE ELSE IS SHOOTING.
THE ACTION PISTOL RANGE WILL HAVE A MAXIMUM OF 2 SHOOTERS.
THE PISTOL RANGE HAS DUCT TAPE ON THE BENCH TO DESIGNATE A SHOOTING POSITION.
IF THE RANGES ARE FULL, REMAIN IN YOUR CAR UNTIL THERE IS AN OPENING TO SHOOT.
ALL MEMBERS ARE RESPONSIBLE TO HAVE A MASK, GLOVE’S AND DISINFECTANT WIPES/HAND SANITIZER.
MAINTAIN SOCIAL DISTANCING
THERE WILL BE COVID-19 PROTOCALS LISTED OUTSIDE AND INSIDE.
IF YOU ARE SICK, STAY HOME
STAY SAFE AND STAY VIGILANT
Albert F. Bonofiglio, Jr., President

Message Posted on the WPRC Website

THE OUTDOOR RIFLE RANGE WILL REOPEN ON JULY 21ST AT 9AM. CONSTRUCTION IS COMPLETED. SHOOTING AT THE 100 YARD IMPACT AREA WILL BE FROM INSIDE THE NEW SHOOTING STAND ONLY . THE 25, 50, AND 75 YARD IMPACT AREA’S WILL NOT BE OPEN. THOSE WILL REQUIRE SOME WORK IN ORDER TO REOPEN.

THE NEW RULES FOR SHOOTING AT THE 100 YARD IMPACT AREA WILL BE PLACED ON THE SHOOTING TABLES INSIDE THE NEW SHOOTING STAND. PLEASE READ THEM BEFORE SHOOTING. ANY QUESTIONS SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO THE PRESIDENT OF THE CLUB. MY PHONE NUMBER IS LOCATED IN THE WAITING AREA INSIDE THE CLUB BUILDING.

WE HAVE POSTPONED OUR JUMPIN JUNE DRAWING TO THE SEPTEMBER MEETING. WE ARE GIVING AWAY A SIG P365 AND MANY OTHER GREAT ITEMS. YOU MAY STILL GET TICKETS IF YOU MAIL IN TO OUR PO BOX ADDRESS. SEND IN A CHECK AND GET 6 TICKETS FOR $20 MADE OUT TO WPRC AND INDICATE THAT IT IS FOR THE DRAWING.

DUE TO COVID-19 THERE WILL BE RESTRICTION THAT WILL NEED TO BE FOLLOWED: PLEASE READ ALL POSTED SIGNAGE

INDOOR RANGE WILL BE RESTRICTED TO LANES 1, 3, AND 5. FACE MASK’S MUST BE WORN IF YOU ARE INDOORS

THE NEW RIFLE RANGE SHOOTING STAND MUST HAVE ALL THE DOORS OPEN AND ONLY 1 SHOOTER PER TABLE. WHEN ARE DONE SHOOTING, CLOSE ALL THE DOORS IF NO ONE ELSE IS SHOOTING.

THE ACTION PISTOL RANGE WILL HAVE A MAXIMUM OF 2 SHOOTERS.

THE PISTOL RANGE HAS DUCT TAPE ON THE BENCH TO DESIGNATE A SHOOTING POSITION.

IF THE RANGES ARE FULL, REMAIN IN YOUR CAR UNTIL THERE IS AN OPENING TO SHOOT.

ALL MEMBERS ARE RESPONSIBLE TO HAVE A MASK, GLOVE’S AND DISINFECTANT WIPES/HAND SANITIZER.

MAINTAIN SOCIAL DISTANCING

THERE WILL BE COVID-19 PROTOCALS LISTED OUTSIDE AND INSIDE.

IF YOU ARE SICK, STAY HOME

STAY SAFE AND STAY VIGILANT

Albert F. Bonofiglio, Jr., President

Thanks for all the info Jay, it's really appreciated. Hoping they will have or allow some hangers so we can use our own as i picked up some monsters that need slaying :)
View attachment 373191

The "Action Pit" was never shutdown and you are free to bring your targets, stands, skeet, etc. as you wish. I've brought my own steel, regular stands, bowling pins, and more. Always an enjoyable range.

Are 50 caliber still ok on that new 100yd range?

All range rules that were in effect before are currently still in effect. The additional rules have to do with the new range construction and the Chinese Corona Virus.

View attachment 373191

The "Action Pit" was never shutdown and you are free to bring your targets, stands, skeet, etc. as you wish. I've brought my own steel, regular stands, bowling pins, and more. Always an enjoyable range visit.

Jay

Last edited:
Do you have records that you guys would be willing to share on the cost of the new(ish) shed you guys built for the 100 yard? My club is bidding out a new shooting area and the numbers they were quoted are staggering and I need outside opinions.

Do you have records that you guys would be willing to share on the cost of the new(ish) shed you guys built for the 100 yard? My club is bidding out a new shooting area and the numbers they were quoted are staggering and I need outside opinions.

Short answer is yes. Staggering is a pretty accurate word. Yikes. I would prefer that we take this part offline though, if you don't mind. I believe we have met during the GOAL Beacon Hill Irregular meeting.

Jay

The "Action Pit" was never shutdown and you are free to bring your targets, stands, skeet, etc. as you wish. I've brought my own steel, regular stands, bowling pins, and more. Always an enjoyable range visit.

Jay

The action pit is always in high demand. Personally, I like it the best, especially with visitors. Any thoughts of adding a second pit as we redo the outdoor ranges? I have heard that we have a long defunct archery range that could maybe be converted.

Back
Top Bottom