Worcester "WPRC" Indoor Range Upgrade Project 2021

One of the last pieces to be installed are the upper brass deflectors on top of the ballistic glass shooting stand seperators. Might not seem like much, but if you've ever been the recipient of someone else's hot brass, you'll apprentice this piece of the shooting stand. Thanks again to Jeff Cobb from Free Lance Range Services for the extra effort. [thumbsup]

Jay

3IMQK1A.jpg

Soft opening of the range was at 12:00. Jon Green and Jake from GOAL stopped by. As the number one priority was and will always be "A Safe Place to Shoot", we gave them a deep dive into the configuration of the HV systems, target controls, bullet traps, filtration systems, power systems, protective shooting stands, and more. While it is true that we have a little "eye candy" ( :cool:) with certain LED lighting, the core is "safety" for all shooters. Safety for your lungs, eyes, and ears.

For a short time, as we attempt to get as many members comfortable in the proper use of the systems, the range hours are from 07:00 to 19:00 for members only. Guest will be a little further down the road. We are staggering coverage for range officers to give each member a quick run down of the procedures. It's actually quite easy and after you do it once or twice, you'll be an expert. Yes, we are planning on a video.

We did some ceremonious firing of the first shots. It was observed by many that the sound control is working as planned/implemented. Did not have to double up on the ear protection. It was kinda "pleasant" and was noticeably better. The heated wall of air was quite the improvement over the old systems. While I was shooting factory ammo, it was noticed that the wall of air behind the shooters actually pushed the contaminants down range and out the exhaust in a fairly rapid fashion. One other benefit that Mrs. a73elkyss (Dian) noticed was the lack of any "gun odor" while firing.

Between the wall to wall / floor to ceiling heating, ventilation, sound abatement, odor control, and lighting improvements it was one of more enjoyable indoor range sessions I've ever had. Although in all fairness, I might be a tad biased.

[party]

Pictures soon:

Jay

If you get any more complaints, dangle some of these upwind:

For clarification, we did not get any complaints. It was observed by Mrs. a73elkyss (Dian) that there WASN'T ANY "gun odor" while firing. We've all been to indoor ranges were you knew the ventilation system was not up to the task just by what you smelled and that metallic taste in your mouth. I'm working up a video of the smoke/fogger test. You can see the velocity of the air movement away from the shooter stands.

Jay

Last edited:
We are still in our "Soft Opening" Phase and are moving rapidly to having all members full 24x7x365 access.

We had Brad bring his CAT down to properly relocate our two Jersey Barriers to protect (and comply w/code) our MAU (Make Up Air Unit). Might paint them a bright color in the spring, but for now, they will do the job as planned.

Also installed our custom exhaust shroud that Wayne made up for us. This will prevent any build up of snow, ice, or little critters from the exhaust louvers.

We had already had our smoke test and passed our certification (which will be posted in the club house lobby), Check out some very rough fogger range test videos which demonstrates the ventilation system. and how rapidly moving 75 cfm actually looks.
Please like and subscribe to videos. [thumbsup]

Please check out the quick instructional video on WPRC Web Site made by Joe Capobianc. Great job Joe. Between Joe's video and the instructions to the right of door before entering the range, and the small "Quick Start Guide" under the shooting stand lane's control panel, most members should be able to use the basic functionality of the new equipment without any issue.

Quick Start Guide for Target Control Display

Hang your target on the “Clip & Shoot” holder

From the “Basic Panel” – Select one of the six red preset distances – The Target Carrier will move to your selected distance.

Press the green “Home” button to bring your target back to you

The bottom Yellow bar is status only– Current Orientation of Friend or Foe – Precise distance.

Please remember that when you are done shooting, shut down the ventilation and turn off all lights before leaving.

Jay

YUVI3jK.jpg

nxguN9d.jpg

FRmLQlp.jpg

55Ww7Mt.jpg

Tii0JVF.jpg

Last edited:
Dam, I picked a hell of a time to be away, as I can't wait to send a few shots down range.
The place looks fantastic.
Great job to all involved.
Thanks, Joe

So is the indoor range ready to use now? Kinda confuse about the "soft opening "...

From December 15th above:

Soft opening of the range was at 12:00. Jon Green and Jake from GOAL stopped by. As the number one priority was and will always be "A Safe Place to Shoot", we gave them a deep dive into the configuration of the HV systems, target controls, bullet traps, filtration systems, power systems, protective shooting stands, and more. While it is true that we have a little "eye candy" ( ) with certain LED lighting, the core is "safety" for all shooters. Safety for your lungs, eyes, and ears.........

A "Soft Opening" is a controlled way of opening up a product or service, get feedback, educate members, adjust procedures, etc.

The Indoor Range is open from 07:00 - 20:00 to members only, no guests. On the club's website is a brief video on how to use the new equipment. I've posted this video link, along with a showcase of airflow. Please look at post number 98, just a few posts above. I've posted the video's and pictures. When you come to the indoor range, READ THE LAMINATED INSTRUCTIONS TO THE RIGHT OF THE DOOR KNOB, enter the range, turn on the light switch to your right (this will turn on two 2'x4' LED Ready Area lights), turn on the ventilation system (it will display a RED light to indicate not to shoot) and while waiting for the system to become ready, turn on the down range lights that are located on the left wall where the old Heater/ventilation dials were. You can't miss them, they are a bank of four paddle light switches that say "Down Range Lights". FYI, all lights are dimmable, if so desired. Please read the small "Quick Start Guide" below the shooting stand control panel, hang your targets, put your eyes and ears on, put your weapon on the shooting stand shelf with muzzle pointing down range. After a short time, the ventilation and heater will display "Safe to Shoot" green light. Shoot your targets. When all done, bring the target carrier "Home", remove your targets, pickup your brass. Do NOT lift UP THE SHELF TO GO DOWNRANGE. Do NOT go downrange to retrieve brass or clean up. The club will clean up down range. When all packed up to leave, reverse your entry procedure, turn off all lights and shut off ventilation system (unless other members are shooting or coming in to shoot).

If you have questions, concerns, or conundrums, the President of Club has posted his number to the right of the range entry door. He is available during normal 07:00 - 20:00 soft opening hours to answer your questions.

This NOT your "Old Indoor Shooting Range". This was designed, engineered, installed as a state of the art, best of breed, top of the line, 100% safe, indoor shooting range. There is almost nothing left from the old indoor range. Everything has been structurally engineered for 100% safety. From the ventilation/heat system, 10 TONS of fire retardant granular rubber in the bullet trap over 2 1/2 feet in depth, the target carriers (with protective AR 500 Steel weighing over 65 lbs each), target carrier track system that is designed like a modern roller coaster with two motors controlling the four wheels to move the target carrier effortlessly to any distance, the over 3 inch ballistic glass between shooting stands, the use of AR500 1/2 inch steel, the lighting, 2 inch sound absorbing material on the walls, ceiling and ceiling baffles, the muzzle blast shields directly in front of the firing line, the flooring, air sealing, three phase electrical upgrades, and much more are ALL DESIGNED TO KEEP THE SHOOTER SAFE.

The ONLY difference between our system and Federal Government (from ICE, Secret Service, FBI and everything in between), All State governments, Any Local municipalities, and commercial gun ranges is our size. We are a five lane 50 foot range. Our range literally uses the exact same equipment, same power, same motors, same earthquake springs, same engineered specification, same support, same certifications, same inspections, everything.

We designed and passed ALL EPA, OSHA, and NIOSH requirements and have the documentation to prove it.

Hope this answers and helps clarification. If not, please come by to the next monthly business meeting a little before it starts as that is when I do my scheduled maintenance and inspections. We also have monthly work parties and you can stop by to get a tour.

Jay

As above:
Please check out the quick instructional video on WPRC Web Site made by Joe Capobianc. Great job Joe. Between Joe's video and the instructions to the right of door before entering the range, and the small "Quick Start Guide" under the shooting stand lane's control panel, most members should be able to use the basic functionality of the new equipment without any issue.

Quick Start Guide for Target Control Display

Hang your target on the “Clip & Shoot” holder

From the “Basic Panel” – Select one of the six red preset distances – The Target Carrier will move to your selected distance.

Press the green “Home” button to bring your target back to you

The bottom Yellow bar is status only– Current Orientation of Friend or Foe – Precise distance.

Last edited:
So no access to the indoor range until we’re trained? Is it that complicated that we can’t figure it out?
Does that mean no access to the indoor bathroom facilities if we’re using the outdoor ranges?

So no access to the indoor range until we’re trained? Is it that complicated that we can’t figure it out?
Does that mean no access to the indoor bathroom facilities if we’re using the outdoor ranges?

Please feel free to contact the WPRC executive board to answer your conundrums.

The club has posted an instructional video and posted written instructions in multiple locations.

I'll be onsite this morning to assist in any questions.

Jay

I read it that there is a card reader at the range door with seperate access control list, but that is my interpenetration of it..

This! You've read it correctly. A new secondary key FOB reader will be installed on 1-5-21, just like the sign says. Once installed, members will need to go through a very quick training session to get their name and membership number added to the access control list. Pretty straightforward.

All members key FOB's are on access control lists for different functions. Just like any commercial gun range and/ or business. It was determined that only members who have been trained will get on the access control list to the indoor range. Most members current access is for the gate and club house. That is normal and is not changing.

We are making up schedules for training coverage. I'll post here and on the club web site the days and hours for training.

If you are reading this now, 12/29 @ 09:20, feel free to come on by as I'm here now.

Jay

We are running through indoor range usage training as fast and as many members as possible before the second key FOB reader is installed next week. We have some coverage presently for the next few hours. I'll be there tomorrow for the morning training. Stop by if you're available.

Jay

The Indoor range key FOB installation, which was originally schedule for this past Wednesday (and was cancelled by the contractor), then rescheduled (by the contractor) for this morning has been rescheduled again for Monday morning, January 10th due to weather issues.

The temporary indoor range hours will stay at 07:00 - 19:00 for members only, no guests and you must be trained in the usage of the new equipment. The outside range rules have not been altered.

We have not posted more indoor range training schedules as we were hoping to have the key FOB and access control list enabled by now.

As more information becomes available, it should be posted on the club's website.

Jay

Hi Jay, do I have to make an appointment to get training on how to use the new equipment, or just show up between 0700- 1900?

Hi Jay, do I have to make an appointment to get training on how to use the new equipment, or just show up between 0700- 1900?

We do not have anymore training coverage scheduled at this exact time. With that being said, as I have a contractor showing up tomorrow (1/9) to install the second key FOB hardware, I'll be onsite tomorrow morning around 09:45 and have a few other members coming in for training. Feel free to stop by and we can get it done.

The temporary indoor range hours will stay at 07:00 - 19:00 for members only, no guests and you must be trained in the usage of the new equipment. The outside range rules have not been altered. When things change, it will be published on the clubs website and I'll post it here.

Jay

Posted on WPRC Web Site

Just a refresher on the training your received. Most members have a grasp on how to start the system. But a select few can't seem to grasp the concept on how to "Leave the Place Better than You Found It" and others for some reason just don't understand what comes out of the muzzle of a weapon.
[crying]

When done using the Indoor Range:
Yes, you are to bring the target carrier to it's HOME position so it recharges for the next member to use.
Yes, you are to dispose of your targets
Yes, you are to manually shut off the target lights
Yes, you are to manually shut off the shooting stand shelf light
Yes, you are to manually shut off the down range lights
Yes, you are to manually shut off the "Ready Area" lights
Yes, you are to manually shut off the ventilation/heat system by pressing the BLUE "START/STOP" button
Yes, you are to manually pick up and dispose of your casings (Brass in Brass Bucket, throw away aluminum / steel) within the target stand.
Yes, you are to keep your member key FOB in your pocket or on your person. If you're alone, and leave the indoor range, for whatever reason, well want to guess what happens when you want to go back into the indoor range?

YES YOUR WEAPON WITH MUZZLE POINTED DOWNRANGE TOWARDS THE RUBBER BULLET TRAP IS TO BE KEPT ON THE SHOOTING STAND SHELF.

NO GOING DOWN RANGE IN FRONT OF THE FIRING LINE, WHICH IS THE FORWARD EDGE OF THE SHOOTING STAND SHELF.

NO BRINGING IN CHAIRS TO SIT INSIDE THE RANGE.

These policies were all part of the training your received and agreed to follow.

Jay

Key FOB REQUIRED For Indoor Range​

As of 1-14-2022, Key FOBs are required access the indoor range.
Trained members Key FOB's will allow access. Completed range training is required for indoor range access.

TRAINING SCHEDULE​

• Sunday Jan 16th 8am to 12pm
  • Tuesday Jan 18th 9am to 11am, 5pm to 8pm
  • Thursday Jan 20th 9am to 12pm, 5pm to 8pm
Further dates and times for training will be updated on this site.

Indoor Range Rules &Tips​

• The indoor range is now open 24/7
  • Only 1 guest per member per visit
  • Handguns and .22 rifles only
  • Use lane 1,5 only if 2,3,4 are occupied
  • Firearms on shooting bench only
  • Keep your fob in your pocket always
  • When Leaving
    • Pickup brass and put it into the brass bucket
    • Throw trash away
    • Make sure you turn off all lights
    • Turn off the ventilation system

Indoor range will be shutdown tomorrow morning from 08:00 - 12:00 to replace a gas valve for the heater. Might not take that long, but just in case.

Anybody wishing to get training on the indoor range equipment, we have Joe onsite today from 17:00 to 20:00 to give training. Stop by and say hi. [thumbsup]

Jay

We were able to take advantage of our concrete contractor to correct some old existing wall divots. After curing, the walls will be repainted. This same contractor will also be coloring the floor, apply our 6 foot diameter logo, and a red Firing Line on the floor. For proper floor coloring, epoxy, and logo curing, they need at least 60 degree's for 5-7 days.

Punch list gets smaller. :cool:

Jay

burTeGI.jpg

QaPsVUs.jpg

R4KQ1Is.jpg

Back
Top Bottom