Worst Case Scenario

I finally got my RCBS Pro 2000 set up last night. I made 16 Winchester 30.30 rounds. Used 31.7G 4064(Sierra Reloaders Book) Win LG Rifle primers and 125 FNHP bullet. Rounds feed through the tubular magazine. Worst case scenario ifI screwed up the crimp what could happen. These are the first rounds I've ever produced. I'm a little nervous about blowing my self up tight. Worst case scenario what could happen in a round was over crimped or undercrimped and how do you know. Sorry for stupid questions guys.

Thanks
Big_D

This is a good reason to take Eddie Coyle's reloading class. Reloading should be enjoyable and you shouldn't have to be paranoid about it. I'm sure he'll bebunk any myths and answer your questions to your satisfaction along the way.

Worst case:

Crimp too tight, brass is messed up, round won't chamber. If the rounds don't look all messed up and they chamber, you're all set.

Crimp too loose, rounds in the tube mag experience bullet set-back. Look at each round on the way in to the chamber to make sure the bullet is still where it's supposed to be.

You can use a factory round as a known-good 'gauge' to set up your crimp die.

Thanks GC and EC. I did crimp a couple rounds way to tight could see the neck kind of collasped. Rounds chamber fine and eject good too. Does the OAL have to be exact or is a couple thousanths shorter make a difference. I'd love to take the reloading classs. Only problem is its s far away. I wish it was closer to me. Thanks guys. Using the factory round just lower the seating crimer die till it hits the top of the round correct.

Does the OAL have to be exact or is a couple thousanths shorter make a difference. I'd love to take the reloading classs. Only problem is its s far away. I wish it was closer to me. Thanks guys. Using the factory round just lower the seating crimer die till it hits the top of the round correct.

A couple of thousandths one way or the other isn't going to make a big difference unless you're at max.

If your cases are the same length as factory, then yeah, just lower the die body until you feel it touch and you should be good to go. You might have to tweak it a bit to make the crimp look like the one on the factory round.

Last edited:
Not terribly scientific, but my test for crimp on lever action cartridges is to run an ungloved finger down the round. If your skin catches on the case mouth, the crimp is insufficient.

Note that bullet seating depth and case trim length are critical to crimp uniformity.

Well they worked. Had one that the firing pin needed to hit 3x before round fired. Went home got through making 18 more rounds than some how bent my expander and depriving pin. I must be the dumbest guy to reloading. Dont even kknow how it happened. Rcbs is sendin me 2 new ones.

Back
Top Bottom