• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Would you bid on this?

I was perusing Gun Broker and stumbled onto this colt. I normally have a morbid curiosity side, but something about this one turned me off. I'm not against someone owning it, after all it is still a functioning firearm, but I don't think I would want it. I own several Milsurp firearms that most likely fired shots in anger, but something about the suicide thing just rubs me wrong, anyway just figured I'd share.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=101238920

If it's still at that price when it's nearing the end of the auction, I'd grab it, strip it, refinish, and sell. The gun did not commit the crime, the person who held it did.

To me it looks like a hunk of crap that wasn't cared for and the guy is trying to get big bucks for because it has a story behind it. I don't believe the story. And I don't believe I would pay that kind of money for anything that looked it was that blatently abused or neglected.

To answer the bigger question, no I would not buy a gun that was used in a suicide unless it was of historical significance, like hitler or something. War pieces fascinate me, I bought a garand cause it was in great shape and had been used in WWII by an american soldier to help save the world, that was neat. Suicide? Not so much.

Hey, heads up my fellow gun enthusiasts. There is absolutely no reason to believe that the gun was used in a suicide at all. Where the court documentation? Theres no reference to any case or person or anything. All the guy says is basically "I got it off a cop who said it was used in a suicide."

The guy is full of shit, I suppose there is a remote possiblity that if you have the resources you could trace the serial number and see where it's been... Oh wait, thats right there is no serial number on it. Open your eyes, this one is a fake.

I wouldn't buy it for that reason, I'd buy it, if it remained at a very low price, to scrub the crap off and reblue it, then sell it off.

You mean $1,999? That's the starting bid.

That's the type of shit that pisses me off.

It says that there's no reserve... But, he's starting the bidding at 2K. That's a reserve. If it's a no reserve auction, then start it as such...

I agree, If it was at a lower price, one that I had the cash for...I would buy it, drop it off at Dave's and have him do a once over and refinish it...

Then I wouldn't sell it, I'd keep it and shoot it.

A gun is nothing more than the material it is made of. It has no magical or mystical powers of control.

Your feeling of being 'rubbed' the wrong way is the same feeling gun grabbers get when they simply see a gun. You both interpret your feelings to be an extra-sensory perception of an existent danger, otherwise known as the "gut feeling". This is your brain subconsciously reacting and making you feel danger. It happens because of both knowledge or lack of knowledge of the situation. Just like when you go skydiving, your brain tells you its not a good idea to jump out of a plane. Some people thrive on breaking through this feeling and the adrenalin rush that follows, others can't take and run the other way.

As much as you proclaim to not believe guns have persuasive powers, you believe this one does.

It is really just you letting yourself be controlled by fear, a completely irrational one at that.

Last edited:
The haunted gun thing has been talked about ever since I've been reading gun forums, especially surplus forums.

From the Japanese rifle that was scorched except where the soldier carrying it was gripping it when he died and left finger marks to claims of blood pitting on bayonets and receivers, we've all heard stories and 99% of them are w/out documentation.

Like you said Rich, surplus guns we own were most likely fired in anger, and I'm sure some of mine have been through hell.
Theres no way of knowing that the new Russian capture K98 someone just got in the mail wasn't a suicide gun left in the battlefield where a corpse rotted all over it. But its the fact that we don't know that lets people enjoy them as collectable weapons and not look at them as objects of horror.

I say buy the gun and not the story.

It would be stupid to spend $1,999 on an ugly gun that would need to be refinished, thus dropping the value way below $1,999. The possible fact that somebody's head blood ruined it will not enhance the value, so why bother?

A gun is nothing more than the material it is made of. It has no magical or mystical powers of control.

Your feeling of being 'rubbed' the wrong way is the same feeling gun grabbers get when they simply see a gun. You both interpret your feelings to be an extra-sensory perception of an existent danger, otherwise known as the "gut feeling". This is your brain subconsciously reacting and making you feel danger. It happens because of both knowledge or lack of knowledge of the situation. Just like when you go skydiving, your brain tells you its not a good idea to jump out of a plane. Some people thrive on breaking through this feeling and the adrenalin rush that follows, others can't take and run the other way.

As much as you proclaim to not believe guns have persuasive powers, you believe this one does.

It is really just you letting yourself be controlled by fear, a completely irrational one at that.
I respectfully disagree, my reaction to this gun has zero to do with fear, rational or otherwise. I just feel it crosses a line, for me it is more a respect of the dead issue. The part that truly rubs me wrong is the idea that this somehow makes this gun more valuable and someone is willing to profit from another's act of depression/desperation. I in no way feel that this gun holds any mystical abilities/attributes and would have no worries if a friend or relative of mine bought it and loved it. I personally would not pay the asking price suicide story or not, and was just curious as to what others here thought of it.

Blood is corrossive as hell on carbon steel - even blued steel. I would expect worse than that if it had been left as described....

I am more disgusted by the fact that it is being advertised as a "suicide" gun than the possibility that it was actually used as such. Like many others have said, it's just an inanimate object.

I think that it is way over-priced for the condition, but then, it is an older firearm and prices are climbing. Someone may bite at it at or near that price but I wouldn't.

Looking closer at it, I realize that it can't be refinished without really messing it up. The damage is too deep into the steel for it to be removed.

I'd pass at 1/4 of the price.

The gun is a junker, wouldn't touch it suicide or not. Maybe for a coupla hundred bucks.... maybe. That might even be stretching it.

-Mike

I bought a Savage model 99 from a guy. His brother used it to kill himself. You could see some pitting on the end of the barrel and the front site was missing. It even came in a Biohazard evedenice box that the police used to store the gun. The guy said when he got the gun back from the plolice that his first urge was to take the gun out and smash it apart. Then he calmed down and relized it wasn't the gun but it was his brother, he chose to take his own life, the gun was just the tool. It's still kind of weird, that I know from a fact that this gun did kill someone. With Milsurps you know it there is a good chance that the gun was used to kill someone, but you don't know for sure. When it is confirmed it just makes it a little diffrent.

I wouldn't bid on that things it's all kinds of beat up. Plus, it's old. Buy something new...

Hey, I like old stuff.[smile]

As for the gun and the price, I have no idea how GB works. All I know is that is says No Reserve but with a buy now price.
To me this means the seller is expecting the item to go high in bids but selling it for whatever anyone bids?[thinking]

Back
Top Bottom