Would you buy a used scope sight unseen other than pictures?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I buy used guns off Gunbroker and such all the time and I don't give it a second though if the pictures look good. I've been perusing Sniper's Hide's used optics forum and there is some really nice glass up for sale over there. Many are from seasoned members of the forum. For some reason though I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on a scope that is used. Especially when looking at a 4 digit cost. I know many good glass companies have warranties, but still. There are some good glass deals going there if you have the coin and are OK with buying someone's used scope, that is for sure.

i sell stuff online a lot. what i tell my scared customers is...don't buy if you have doubts. it'll save us both a bunch of headaches.

I buy used guns off Gunbroker and such all the time and I don't give it a second though if the pictures look good. I've been perusing Sniper's Hide's used optics forum and there is some really nice glass up for sale over there. Many are from seasoned members of the forum. For some reason though I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on a scope that is used. Especially when looking at a 4 digit cost. I know many good glass companies have warranties, but still. There are some good glass deals going there if you have the coin and are OK with buying someone's used scope, that is for sure.
i would think - if you do not want an arken and want a 4 digit scope for bragging rights :) - then you probably want a brand new one.
otherwise its bragging factor may not be as erected as desired. :)

I bought a S&B and a Leupold MK 5 from the Hide as well as my AI AX. All transactions were based on less than stellar pictures. The items arrived as described. These were 4 digit+ purchases. The rifle was a little rougher looking but that's about it.

I would never buy a used scope.

Your are better off waiting for a sale.

I want a certain eotech. I’d rather pay a premium.

I bought a used Leupold scope and a used Bushnell spotting scope. Neither was 4 figure prices but both were in the mid to high 3 digits. No problems with either. Leopold sight unseen and Bushnell at auction where I could see it on the table but wasn't allowed to pick it up or handle it.

I bought a Vortex scope online. It arrived with flecks on the lens. Made a claim. Got reimbursed. Then, when I got around to it. Contacted Vortex. They said send it in. I just paid shipping. Still have the scope.

I’ve bought some high dollar items used from the Hide and saved a bunch. Be diligent and Talk to the person on the phone and get a bunch of pictures etc. I’d also call Nightforce with the serial # and they will be able to tell you everything about the optic.

With NF I wouldn’t worry about buying used, as long as it’s not beat to crap, as they stand behind everything they sell.

A NightForce ATACR I’m looking at now I’ll save $650 over new.

Ya, that's significant :)

I bought my ATACR new maybe $400 under retail, so for $650 savings and the guy has solid feedback I would do it. Just ask for more pics or something. I know if I was to sell mine it would be mint because I tend to take really good care of expensive things.

Does he still have the box? Reason i ask is that is what I do in case I decide to sell something expensive and keep things extra nice in case I sell it later. Plus I use to collect things and boxes add to value lol

Damn, If I wasn't banned from ArfCom I would give you the username of the guy I bought mine from. He doesn't have a dealer account just a regular user there but is an authorized(I looked it up) NF dealer that sells below MSRP with adds on the EE. I think I remember paying $2100 for the 1-8 when they were really hard to get.

Last edited:
As long as the seller checks out and the scope manufacturer has a solid warranty, then I have no problem buying used.

Ya, that's significant :)

I bought my ATACR new maybe $400 under retail, so for $650 savings and the guy has solid feedback I would do it. Just ask for more pics or something. I know if I was to sell mine it would be mint because I tend to take really good care of expensive things.

Does he still have the box? Reason i ask is that is what I do in case I decide to sell something expensive and keep things extra nice in case I sell it later. Plus I use to collect things and boxes add to value lol

Damn, If I wasn't banned from ArfCom I would give you the username of the guy I bought mine from. He doesn't have a dealer account just a regular user there but is an authorized(I looked it up) NF dealer that sells below MSRP with adds on the EE. I think I remember paying $2100 for the 1-8 when they were really hard to get.
Total respect for getting the ban wagon from arfcom aka douche central.

+1 for buying a scope from an active and well know Hide member. As others have said, ask a couple questions if only to scope out if the seller is responsive and seems legit.

I would trust used scopes from active SH members. A lot of competition shooters just selling because they want to try something else or are switching to some new release.

SH people seem a step above ...well at least above Armslist scammers;).
Seriously, the folks I've communicated with on that forum seem up front and conscious of their gear. PM them and get a "feel" for them, usually you can pick up on ignorant sellers/scammers pretty easily. If I scored a deal, I would buy used glass from a company with good warranty. See if they can get some good pix of the lenses though.

Thanks everyone. From these posts I pulled the trigger and bought a used NF ATACR 5-25x56 F1 Mil-XT C616 scope from a well seasoned member at SH. He had 81 positive ratings for gear he’s sold so feeling pretty good about the purchase. Now I’m just waiting for the rifle to arrive.

Back
Top Bottom