• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Write your local papers! EDIT: READ THEM, TOO.

MetalgodZ

NES Member
After the misinformation published by Stonebridge Press in the article that brought the situation in Charlton to my attention, I had to say something. Luckily (or not?) for me, they decided to publish me.

In the wake of any tragedy, there is always a call to "do something" to avert further tragedy. While that reaction is understandable, the "something" is frequently poorly planned, ineffective, and infringing of others rights. Prior to New York's passage of the SAFE act this month, Massachusetts had the strictest or second most strict firearms laws in the nation. We also have some of the most confusing laws and the highest monetary barriers to proper education, which combine to result in large amounts of misinformation, unfounded fear, and reactionary proposals.

One of the most common pieces of misinformation encountered was published in your January 18th edition on page 3:

"The latter category is generally seen to be rifles that have high capacity magazines and are able to fire in “full-auto” mode (a single trigger pull releases multiple bullets, potentially including the entire magazine in a few seconds), or can be illegally modified to do so. Such weapons were generally designed for the military, although semi-automatic versions that look very similar are available on the civilian market. For example, the Army M-16’s civilian version is called the AR-15."

That category, "assault weapons," - a term manufactured in the decade prior to the introduction of the 1994 Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act - specifically does not include automatic weapons.

Current proposals miss the fact that the category is among the least likely to be used to commit a crime, a fact which the US Department of Justice and the National Institue of Justice mentioned in their 2004 report (http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/204431.pdf) which stated "Should it be renewed, the ban’s effects on gun violence are likely to be small at best and perhaps too small for reliable measurement. [Assault weapons] were rarely used in gun crimes even before the ban."

Also contributing to the confusion and the fear that gun owners have is the fact that the definition has been changed on multiple occasions, with little to no evidence supporting the changes, and frequently with little understanding of the cosmetic and functional features being banned. Since the passage of the SAFE Act in the state of New York, the M1 Garand - the collectible WWII-era rifle distributed by the US federal government under the Civilian Marksmanship Program, commonly used for competition and hunting of large game - is now considered an "assault weapon" due to the 8-round internal magazine and the piece of wood installed over the barrel to prevent the operator from inadvertently burning his or her hand. Indeed, the definitions are broad enough and frequently enough changed that many people who own firearms will find themselves forced to turn in heirlooms and the tools with which they hunt and compete.

The argument that it is simple to complete an illegal modification of a semi-automatic firearm defined as an assault weapon into an effective automatic firearm is also largely fiction. The parts required to safely do so require precision machining methods and properly hardened metals.

While confusing to anyone attempting firearms ownership in a legal manner, the current laws of Massachusetts are more than sufficient to provide for arrest and incarceration of any that commit violent acts against others. One of many, MGL 269 s. 10, provides for a mandatory 18 month sentence upon conviction for unlicensed possession of a firearm, but is rarely if ever prosecuted. Only if the courts see to it that violent criminals are prevented from further attacks on the public will these laws be effective.

So what is true about what have recently been termed assault weapons? The Department of Homeland Security has described these firearms as "suitable for personal defense use in close quarters" (https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=09c3d5e933bc24416b752b57294a17b3) and the Massachusetts Municipal Police Training Committee finds them to be "a superior tool," which will allow greater safety due to the fact that the 5.56mm/.223 caliber round "will penetrate fewer walls than service pistol rounds or 12 gauge slugs" (http://www.mlefiaa.org/files/MPTC_NEWS/Patrol_Rifle_Student_Manual_2010.pdf). They're light, easy to control safely, adjustable (a great advantage when teaching proper safety and use), and comprise a majority percentage of firearms sold within the United States.

With that said, firearms ownership is a Constitutionally protected right, right along with freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and the right to be secure in our homes and belongings. Firearms owners are your neighbors, friends, coworkers, and family. Your doctors, lawyers, firefighters, paramedics, teachers, and the guy who runs the corner store own firearms. We don't own them for the purpose of killing innocents; we own them for sport, hunting, and defense. Before rushing to ban an entire category of firearm, please find one of us and have an honest conversation about the purpose of our ownership.

Michael Baxter
Charlton
http://www.theheartofmassachusetts.com/pdf/CHA.2013.02.01.pdf

Looking at it a week later, there are some things I wish I'd said differently, but overall the response has been OK.

Now...I've done it. It's somebody else's turn now. Don't let bad information stand, and don't let gun owners be a hidden minority. You should be writing letters to people in addition to your representatives.

Edit: Please also READ the papers. All of the info on what's going on in Charlton can be found in the Stonebridge Press archives for the Charlton Villager, located along with all of their other publications at Stonebridge Press and Villager Newspapers.

It's not conjecture or guesses that there's discussion at a local level regarding "doing something about guns." The conjecture and guesses on my part are limited to exactly what will end up being proposed. The papers don't have enough data, and the town-by-town info is TOWN-BY-TOWN, the Charlton stuff is late to be published on their site, and I haven't been home during business hours to request a transcript in person.

Last edited:
In short: The selectmen are attempting to draft a letter in support of Patrick's proposals, and there may be debate regarding a local ordinance (snrk) ordinance, but the town is not publishing the agendas and minutes on their web site (Town of Charlton | Home), so it's tough to follow.

I hate politics, but it's time to get involved.

... town is not publishing the agendas and minutes on their web site (Town of Charlton | Home), so it's tough to follow.

Great letter, thank you for doing that!

Don't let the selectmen get away with violating your rights to know what they are doing.

Recent changes to open meeting laws require that there exists a public posting location for agendas that is accessible 24 hours a day. If agendas are online, they can meet this requirement by making a public computer available 24 hours per day, but if they're not online they have to be on some kind of bulletin board that is always available. The posting timing hasn't changed, it's still 48 hours in advance of a meeting, excluding weekends and holidays. Eg. a Monday night meeting must be posted by Thursday night.
Citation: Attorney General's Open Meeting Law Guide
(This seems to say online posting is sufficient... maybe they changed that)

The other recent change requires that minutes be made available within 10 days of the meeting UPON REQUEST. This holds even if they have not approved the minutes, they must still provide draft minutes in whatever form they have within 10 days if you request it.
Citation: Attorney General's Open Meeting Law Guide

If they are not meeting their requirements, file a complaint:Attorney General's Open Meeting Law Guide

I also wrote a letter to our local rag in an effort to educate the sheeple. Most people have no idea how tough it is to get a permit in this God-forsaken state. The papers intentionally mislead people and omit information to make it appear like the politicians are 'doing something' to curb violence. This is one area where I think we can help - get the right information and data out there so people can make their own decisions.

Well, I passed papers, have the keys in hand - I am now a Charlton resident.

I'll be sending them a letter soon and as said in emails, count me into the fight.

After the misinformation published by Stonebridge Press in the article that brought the situation in Charlton to my attention, I had to say something. Luckily (or not?) for me, they decided to publish me.

http://www.theheartofmassachusetts.com/pdf/CHA.2013.02.01.pdf

Looking at it a week later, there are some things I wish I'd said differently, but overall the response has been OK.

Now...I've done it. It's somebody else's turn now. Don't let bad information stand, and don't let gun owners be a hidden minority. You should be writing letters to people in addition to your representatives.

Wait what is charlton trying to do?
Known: The selectmen were debating sending a letter in support of Patrick's proposals.

Unknown: They may have sent that letter. They also may be debating an ordinance prohibiting something, as many other towns are.

Known: The town is not publishing the agendas and minutes on their web site, so verifying the info will require actual requests to town hall.

Edit: At the BoS meeting tomorrow, one of the items on the agenda (http://townofcharlton.net/minutes/2013/BOS_agenda_020513.pdf) is "Letter from Dudley Board of Selectmen regarding legislation." I think it's highly likely that this letter is similar or identical to the one originally proposed by Charlton. Anyone from Dudley or Charlton that is able to should be at the BoS meeting to politely observe and make it known that this is not acceptable.

Last edited:
In short: The selectmen are attempting to draft a letter in support of Patrick's proposals, and there may be debate regarding a local ordinance (snrk) ordinance, but the town is not publishing the agendas and minutes on their web site (Town of Charlton | Home), so it's tough to follow.

I hate politics, but it's time to get involved.
Which selectman is trying to do this? I just wanted to puke I know nothing of this and am a resident.

No full computer at the moment, so I can't easily pull up the PDF, but check the Charlton Villager for the first or second issue of this month...they're available from the same place I linked at the beginning of the thread.

Trying not to make this aggressive yet, as I don't know whether these people are just poorly informed or anti. I'm leaning toward mildly anti and poorly informed. Trying honey instead of vinegar at this point, but it wouldn't hurt to get some residents to a BoS meeting to voice concern.

Well said! I checked the Dudley site and saw nothing mentioning legislation regarding firearms but will try to find out more.

Last edited:
Well said! I checked the Dudley site and saw nothing mentioning legislation regarding firearms but will try to find out more.
Strangely, the Dudley thing I mentioned was actually written into the Charlton BoS agenda. You may want to show up to the Charlton BoS meeting to see what it's about...or to your own to see what exactly is going on.

I'm befuddled by this. We have so many guns in this town. Not to mention the chief firmly believes in the 2nd amendment. Do you know what select person is suggesting this? I've made some calls to some folks I know in the town hall and they all told me I was paranoid and they haven't heard anything.

I'm befuddled by this. We have so many guns in this town. Not to mention the chief firmly believes in the 2nd amendment. Do you know what select person is suggesting this? I've made some calls to some folks I know in the town hall and they all told me I was paranoid and they haven't heard anything.

Transposing from the horribly formatted PDF.
List of back issues is at http://www.theheartofmassachusetts.com/118975.113119body.lasso?publication=CHA
Issue in question is http://www.theheartofmassachusetts.com/pdf/CHA.2013.01.18.pdf

Please forgive formatting and spelling errors.

Gun debate continues to rage in Charlton
‘WE NEED TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WORKS’

CHARLTON — The slowly boiling gun debate sparked by Newtown and other recent killings came to Charlton Tuesday Jan. 8, as selectmen,rejected sending a Kathleen Walker-drafted letter to the governor advocating taking stronger action on “rapid fire guns and assault weapons.”Mostly, the dispute was between Walker and David Singer, the edges of the board's political spectrum. Singer claimed FBI data“don’t support this request”because guns are only used in a “miniscule” amount of vio-lent crimes – “1.2 percent”was the figure he cited. That's not what the Uniformness crime reports stateliness; the data for murder is here: FBI ? Table 20. There doesn't seem to be any table that lays out a general weapons used in violent crime tally but the charts for, robbery and aggravated assault show high gun-use rates, too. The most recent data from2011 (which for some reason excludes Alabama and Florida) reported 12,664 murders in the U.S. and 8,583 were committed with some form of gun. In Massachusetts specifically there,were 183 total killings, of which122 used guns. The data breaks gun use into handguns, rifles,shotguns and “type unknown,”but doesn’t specify whether they were of the types often defined as“assault weapons.”The latter category is generally seen to be rifles that have high-capacity magazines and are able to fire in “full-auto” mode (a single trigger pull releases multiple bullets, potentially including the entire magazine in a few seconds), or can be illegally modified to do so. Such weapons were generally designed for the military,although semi-automatic versions that look very similar are available on the civilian market. For example, the Army M-16’s civilian version is called the AR-15.For years, the federal government banned civilian possession of such guns with some exceptions, but Congress allowed thebantolapsein2004.Massachusetts, however, did not. Police Chief James Pervier said the state still bans sale of such guns or high-capacity magazines within the state, but allows people who bring them in from else-where or who owned them prior to the ban to keep them, provided they're legally licensed here. He said the issue of who should own such guns should be examined to ensure the laws protect both responsible gun owners and society as a whole.“To say that we should not do anything is not the right thing,”he said. “... We need to figure out what works, what serves the best interests of everyone in the country.”Singer agreed to that extent,but said he saw Walker’s objectives a “knee-jerk reaction.” To him,the chance of being a mass shooting victim is “akin to being hit by lightning.”“The problem is not lawful gun owners,” he said, noting the Newtown killer took his guns from his mother’s collection. For Walker, though, the Newtown tragedy “couldn’t have happened if that terribly deranged young man didn’t have access” to the guns in the first place, noting his mother had taught him to use them (reports right after the shootings stated his mother believed it might help teach him responsibility and that,she was herself a gun aficionado. She was his first victim, killed in their home before he went to Sandy Hook Elementary School and gunned down 28 people,including 20 children).One thing Walker and Singer agreed on is that there should be more mental health care to help identify and treat people who might be inclined to commit such acts. Dubbing that “the biggest problem,” Singer said he feels most government officials “don't want to touch this because they want to get re-elected.”Walker, however, noted it wouldn't be possible to treat everyone “who might possibly do this” but it could be possible to eliminate assault weapons. To her it would be “absurd and ludicrous and wrong” to leave the gun laws as they are now. Pervier said he feels it might be helpful if states could share mental health information.“People who are deranged and get a hold of weapons ... can commit carnage however they get them,” he observed, adding that those who aren’t eligible for FIDs or concealed-carry permits can get black-powder guns, and those are just as lethal. Changing the laws, he said,won't eliminate all such tragedies, “but we need to look at it and need a few more tools in the toolbox.”

From the article, it's largely Walker that's pushing this.

There's so much garbage (aside from my poor formatting) in this article, I don't know what's conjecture by a confused columnist, what's stuff that's affecting the BoS decision making, and what's coming from Pervier. They blatantly miss the fact that we're not talking about automatic weapons, and either miss or purposely avoid the fact that practically everything deemed an "assault weapon" falls under the "rifle" category in the data they cite.

What a bad idea she obviously doesn't know her constituents. gunna print that and drop it off around town to some friends who rant and rave . . . .

Last edited:
What a dumb c*** gunna print that and drop it off around town to some friends who rant and rave . . . .

My name's on the letter to the editor, and now on this thread. Let's keep this clean and polite as far as we're able.

Still attempting to reach out to her to see if I can educate a bit.

My name's on the letter to the editor, and now on this thread. Let's keep this clean and polite as far as we're able.

Still attempting to reach out to her to see if I can educate a bit.
ill edit that

Well my name is my username here. I didn't vote for her and wouldn't. I know a lot of town guys that will be very up in arms over this. ill make sure to make it known to the chatty Kathy's. . . No pun intended

How did this go? I was unable to make it to the Dudley meeting but spoke to one of the selectmen earlier in the day and he said he knew nothing about this.

6c5309ccc72605ee0988b2aa7f4778aa_zpsde60df4f.jpg

David Singer is the man and squashed it. Those are our correspondences.

Back
Top Bottom