• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wrong bolt?

I recently ordered a Faxon 5.56 BCG from optics planet. Finally took it to the range today and found that perhaps it came with the wrong bolt? It chambered rounds just fine, but wouldn’t eject a single case. Lock up was fine, I charged the rifle a few times at the house with some snap caps and it was ejecting those, but no actual rounds at the range. Luckily I had another BCG with me (zeroing two different rifles and proof that 2 is indeed 1, and 1 is none) which ran in both guns just fine. Upon inspecting both bolt faces, the Faxon has an ever so slightly larger interior diameter than my mil-spec. I don’t own calipers so don’t ask. Bought as and received a package labeled 5.56/.300blk. Without comparing the two I would have never noticed.

So, what the hell? What caliber bolt fits in a 5.56 BCG, locks up just fine, but has a larger diameter bolt face meaning extraction is impossible? And no, the cases weren’t stuck, they all slid right out and it ran like a champ with the other BCG.

I’ve obviously already contacted Faxon, though I assume they’ll just tell me to go through OpticsPlanet 🙄
Seems like someone messed up along the assembly line.

Could have just squeezed through Quality Control. Manufacturers are working too fast in some cases. Hopefully they make it right...

Photo
Maybe I’m a fool for not noticing (or believing what’s on the packaging?) but that’s noticeably different!

I didn’t think it was that drastic at the range.
ADA65274-B48B-4960-82C0-8C018B84BFF7.jpeg
Also, lackluster staking. Partial review as well, I guess.
D3357D6E-0A4F-4925-9B94-D527321886CB.jpeg

762x39?

Just pulled up Faxons page. does your bolt have a caliber stamping somewhere around the circumference behind the lugs? looks like their 762x39 bolt says 762 on the side and it would account for the thinning of the edges of the bolt face.

Last edited:
762x39?

Just pulled up Faxons page. does your bolt have a caliber stamping somewhere around the circumference behind the lugs? looks like their 762x39 bolt says 762 on the side and it would account for the thinning of the edges of the bolt face.

No markings on the bolt itself other than an MPI stamp. I think you might be correct with regards to the wall thickness making it 7.62x39.

other option may be 6.5 Grendel bolt? regardless they gave you the wrong bolt. Glad it didn’t cause a catastrophic failure.

Yeah, you and me both. This was a short thread but at least I know I’m not crazy. I suppose I’ll be more aware in the future, but that’s a serious mistake.
Thanks for the help.

One of the downers about buying on-line is you don't know if you just received a BCG that was returned with a swapped out bolt assy by the last recipient.
I've found Amazon will just put the item back in stock as long as the packaging looks fine. (especially with knives)

OpticsPlanet is most likely as bad...

Send it back and maybe buy from Faxon itself...

Photo
Maybe I’m a fool for not noticing (or believing what’s on the packaging?) but that’s noticeably different!

I didn’t think it was that drastic at the range.
View attachment 367882
Also, lackluster staking. Partial review as well, I guess.
View attachment 367884
Thats nice uniform staking.
Check your amazon order It would not shock me that you indeed ordered a x39 bolt. Not your fault but optics planet has been known for aweful descriptions.

With regard
Thats nice uniform staking.
Check your amazon order It would not shock me that you indeed ordered a x39 bolt. Not your fault but optics planet has been known for aweful descriptions.

With regards to the staking, I’ve only seen two BCG’s so my sample size is definitely lacking, but the staking on the Faxon is noticeably less robust than the other I own. Not sure it matters much though.
As far as ordering the wrong thing is concerned, I try to be as careful as possible and don’t usually make mistakes. Also, this is pretty telling in my book. What bolt would you expect to be in this carrier group? FDB63804-EBC9-4A94-87A9-526BA2D55672.jpeg

Let us know how you make out with Faxon. I’m really curious what they will do for you in this situation. Hopefully send you a new proper BCG with a return label for the one you have.

My guess is Faxon screwed up and this thing got packaged incorrectly. It's clearly not the right bolt.

Of course, it is pretty much karma though that you bought it from f***stickPlanet. [rofl]

@enbloc is onto something though- the other possibility is some other guy pulled a Walmart switcheroo job on f***stickplanet, and traded in his worthless faxon 7.62 x 39 bolt for a normal one. (I mean lets face facts, 7.62 x 39 is stupid in an AR).

762x39?

i just pulled my spare 7.62x39 bcg from parts. just curious, bought at the time of the parts shortage and put away. all i knew for sure it wasn't a 5.56 just by looking cause it's not marked. i just extended the bolt and it's marked clearly in behind the lugs.

I was thinking wrong bolt 7.62x39,6.5 grendel or 6mm ARC also. Big difference in rim diameters though 223 rim .378" 7.62x39 family .440".

Update:

Faxon responded this morning asking for a photo of the bolt face. Sounds like they’re going to send me a new bolt once they have any in stock 🙄 which is why I bought it from f***stickPlanet in the first place. It was the only nitride BCG in stock and I thought I’d give it a shot. Live and learn. Patience is a virtue.

Edit- Consensus at Faxon is that it’s a 7.62 x 39 or a 6.5 grendel. NES braintrust comes through again.

Last edited:
Agreed on the staking, that's poor. Those bolts aren't being held in at all.

Random pic of a better stake job. You want the stake to hit the bolt so it prevents it from turning. Grab a punch and finish it off on the new bolt if it looks the same.

View: https://m.imgur.com/E1e71aG

Last edited:
They probably staked it poorly because they knew that anybody that was actually seriously considering a 7.62 x39 AR wouldn't even look at the staking, so they could get away with doing whatever ... after all, the guy is only going to fire the gun a couple of times, get frustrated at the general malaise of it and its attendant frankenmags, and then it's going to go collect dust somewhere before it gets consigned to a consignment rack for a year or two before it actually sells.... [laugh]

Replacement bolt arrived today. So, it took almost 3 months to get, but they remedied the situation, eventually. I bought another bolt from Midway in the meantime so I’ll put this in another rifle than originally intended and have an older backup.

They also sent a return label to send the wrong bolt back... I almost karma’d it but I’m glad I didn’t. I get it, small company and these parts aren’t cheap. I’m sure they’ll clean it up and resell it as .458 SOCOM. :rolleyes:

It’s a nice nitride BCG in the $100 range, but the overall experience has left something to be desired.

Back
Top Bottom