WSJ - Gun Trafficking Surges Across State Lines: One Pistol’s 1,200-Mile Journey to a Boston Homicide

MaverickNH

NES Member

What’s this world coming to? Homies should be able to expect to be shot with locally-sourced guns.

The missing point is that where “crime guns” from might shift, but where demand comes from drives gun supply - whether from another city, another state, another country, or DIY.

Straw purchasers caught lying typically get probation. Traffickers convicted of dealing guns without a license or selling to prohibited people usually receive prison time, but often not more than a couple of years.

64855088-7524-461D-852E-C027B2F6F0B4.jpegD8638D39-49A8-45FA-AAA9-44DD21584818.jpeg

Last edited:
I read this nonsensical piece in today's WSJ and posted many comments to the writers and the few anti's commenting on the article. I told them I would consider canceling my subscription if they keep this crap up. I expect this yellow journalism from the NYT and the GLOB! 🤬

And??

If guns were banned nationwide, they'd be coming from out of hte country. Then what?

It isn't like guns from a state like Alabama is ending up in Missouri or Montana. Guns from free states are making it to crime areas because that's how capitalism works.

As far as the article, I'm trying to figure out why the reporter wrote it. It isn't a hit piece at all. But it draws zero conclusions. It's a report, which I guess is fine. But again, so what????

Seems like hte ATF should stop worrying about how an arm brace could be a shoulder stock and focus on places like Wade's House of Gun Trafficking. I mean, how many times did a dude need to go in there before they said, "hey - that guy might be selling guns to some other guy who is trafficking them."????

Oh yeah. This is like the IRS just accepting your info for the most part on your taxes. People think they cross check all sorts of things. If they don't get a tax form from someone else, most of what they do is arithmetic. Nothing more.

Last edited:
No mention by the author of FBI’s disclaimer:

Firearms tracing is designed to provide investigative leads to law enforcement to linking a suspect to a firearm in a criminal investigation, to identify illegal firearms traffickers, and to identify trends and patterns in the flow of illegal firearms. Firearms tracing is only conducted at the request of a law enforcement agency engaged in a bona fide criminal investigation where a firearm has been used or is suspected to have been used in a crime. Although not all firearms used in crimes that are recovered by law enforcement are traced, ATF encourages every agency to comprehensively trace each of those firearms.

The firearms selected for tracing are not chosen for purposes of determining which types, makes or models of firearms are used for illicit purposes. The firearms selected do not constitute a random sample and should not be considered representative of the larger universe of all firearms used by criminals, or any subset of that universe
.”

Lies by Omission: While the author notes “Nearly 90% of 76 guns traced to shootings in Boston in 2021 were bought outside of Massachusetts, according to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s office” he neglects to mention BOS has a 29% homicide closure rate and that BOS had 198 shootings logged by BPS in 2021. So, that 90% of 76/198 guns is 34%.

I reminded the writers that Dorchester used to be a Irish Catholic middle/lower class neighborhood where my Aunt and Uncle raised 7 kids from the 60's thru the 80's and never even locked their doors. Neighborhood kids roamed the streets riding their bikes and walking into their neighbors houses, friends houses for a glass of milk or water or a hug from neighborhood mommies. There was no crime except for the occasional drunk Irishman who if was out of control either the cops of neighbors would take care of. Now it's a shooting gallery and guess what changed? The Demographics that no one wants to discuss.

I reminded the writers that Dorchester used to be a Irish Catholic middle/lower class neighborhood where my Aunt and Uncle raised 7 kids from the 60's thru the 80's and never even locked their doors. Neighborhood kids roamed the streets riding their bikes and walking into their neighbors houses, friends houses for a glass of milk or water or a hug from neighborhood mommies. There was no crime except for the occasional drunk Irishman who if was out of control either the cops of neighbors would take care of. Now it's a shooting gallery and guess what changed? The Demographics that no one wants to discuss.
Mattapan was Mayberry on the Neoponset and Blue Hill Ave was no different than Beacon Street through Brookline.

Is that racis thought? Or Facts ? Someone on here called me one because his feelings get hurt when talking straight .

Lol none of this stuff is news, most of them come from big square states often in places where there is a lot of drug cash and drug using whores to buy the guns as straws. Often from ultra high volume dealers too. As long as the straw isnt mentally retarded its not that hard for them to buy a gun.

The thing I hate the most about these articles is they never really bother to tell the reader how difficult it is to actually detect a straw at the dealer level. You can really only stop the most lamest straw purchase attempts on the planet. Basically the only people that get stopped by dealers are ones who are stupid enough to start running their mouth about their soon to be
gun transaction details. Not to mention even if those people get stopped and kicked out of a store, a good % of them are likely to figure out "hey maybe I shouldn't have said that" and
then magically they shut the f*** up with the next dealer down the street and still get their gun they wanted.

Trying to stop straws is really a fools errand in this regard. No dealer wants to sell to a staw buyer (for a whole bunch of reasons) but there is a static limit to what you can actually do in the
real world. Nobody wants criminals buying guns from them but in the same stroke most shops don't want to look like one of those box stores or big garbage shops by having extrajudicial shitty mc faggot requirements. (Like there are shops that dont do 3 day default proceeds, and also likely some shops that ban all known gift purchases, too, despite both of these things being arguably 100% legal. )

now some jingocon is going to come in here and tell me "Maybe if the ATF actually prosecuted the straw purchasers harder it would make a difference" and to that I say, "doubt".

Most straws are either desperate people. Often drug abusers, or related to an abuser, trying to pay off a debt or have some other shitty position in life. If anyone thinks that people like that care about federal prison, thats just laughable.

Most straws are either desperate people. Often drug abusers, or related to an abuser, trying to pay off a debt or have some other shitty position in life. If anyone thinks that people like that care about federal prison, thats just laughable.
If it’s not one of the scenarios above it’s probably A baby momma trying to keep baby daddy gang banger in her life.

There is a serous societal rot in this country. And a lot of these issues come out of the welfare state mentality.

Mattapan was Mayberry on the Neoponset and Blue Hill Ave was no different than Beacon Street through Brookline.
Mattapan and Roxbury used to be the Jewish section of Boston until the 60's. Blue Hill Ave was populated with Jewish deli's, Synagogues, furniture stores, grocery stores , etc. When African Americans moved in the Jews moved to Milton, Randolph and Sharon in the 70's. That's a fact!

If it’s not one of the scenarios above it’s probably A baby momma trying to keep baby daddy gang banger in her life.

There is a serous societal rot in this country. And a lot of these issues come out of the welfare state mentality.
You are correct, LBJ's Great Society in the mid 60's gave African American women the incentive to not marry and have as many illegitimate kids as possible. This destroyed the Black nuclear family which had until then low numbers of children born out of wedlock.

And??

If guns were banned nationwide, they'd be coming from out of hte country. Then what?

It isn't like guns from a state like Alabama is ending up in Missouri or Montana. Guns from free states are making it to crime areas because that's how capitalism works.

As far as the article, I'm trying to figure out why the reporter wrote it. It isn't a hit piece at all. But it draws zero conclusions. It's a report, which I guess is fine. But again, so what????

Seems like hte ATF should stop worrying about how an arm brace could be a shoulder stock and focus on places like Wade's House of Gun Trafficking. I mean, how many times did a dude need to go in there before they said, "hey - that guy might be selling guns to some other guy who is trafficking them."????

Oh yeah. This is like the IRS just accepting your info for the most part on your taxes. People think they cross check all sorts of things. If they don't get a tax form from someone else, most of what they do is arithmetic. Nothing more.
True. Similar map for cigarette bootleging from low tax to high tax states. D's just can't stop sending money to criminals.

You are correct, LBJ's Great Society in the mid 60's gave African American women the incentive to not marry and have as many illegitimate kids as possible. This destroyed the Black nuclear family which had until then low numbers of children born out of wedlock.
I wasn't around then and it seems like you might have been, pleaew forgive me if you were not, but where were the black people before they were bused into the cities? Was the crime level similar to what the urban neighborhoods are now in those areas?

And??

As far as the article, I'm trying to figure out why the reporter wrote it
Democrat mayors response when Republicans point to all the crime in their cities and call mismanagement, is blame Republican states and the “inflow of guns” for their troubles.

So this is providing air cover for big city mayors.

Sure.....and if they permanently lock up the gang bangers up here there wouldn't be any criminals bringing in firearms for their criminal activity.

So damn frustrating we have a faction in this country that simply refuses to hold the criminal factions accountable.

Blame ANYONE but the criminals.

It’s the easy way out.

Too much college debt - cancel it, don’t complain about high cost or useless degrees.

Gas prices too high - blame Putin for all of it.

Rich people come into a neighborhood - gentrification. They leave - urban flight.

Drug problem - legalize and tax.

Never address the real problem. Just attempt to fix a symptom. And usually make it worse.

This is good stuff, think about it ...

When MA legislators say we need more gun control in MA, we can point the finger and say more gun laws here won't make a difference because the guns come from another State.

I dont see how this can hurt MA.

The free States won't give a sh*t and will dismiss this.

Your aunt and uncle werent middle/lower class if they could raise 7 kids on 2 incomes.

Lol none of this stuff is news, most of them come from big square states often in places where there is a lot of drug cash and drug using whores to buy the guns as straws. Often from ultra high volume dealers too. As long as the straw isnt mentally retarded its not that hard for them to buy a gun.

The thing I hate the most about these articles is they never really bother to tell the reader how difficult it is to actually detect a straw at the dealer level. You can really only stop the most lamest straw purchase attempts on the planet. Basically the only people that get stopped by dealers are ones who are stupid enough to start running their mouth about their soon to be
gun transaction details. Not to mention even if those people get stopped and kicked out of a store, a good % of them are likely to figure out "hey maybe I shouldn't have said that" and
then magically they shut the f*** up with the next dealer down the street and still get their gun they wanted.

Trying to stop straws is really a fools errand in this regard. No dealer wants to sell to a staw buyer (for a whole bunch of reasons) but there is a static limit to what you can actually do in the
real world. Nobody wants criminals buying guns from them but in the same stroke most shops don't want to look like one of those box stores or big garbage shops by having extrajudicial shitty mc faggot requirements. (Like there are shops that dont do 3 day default proceeds, and also likely some shops that ban all known gift purchases, too, despite both of these things being arguably 100% legal. )

now some jingocon is going to come in here and tell me "Maybe if the ATF actually prosecuted the straw purchasers harder it would make a difference" and to that I say, "doubt".

I’m going to play devils advocate here and say something unpopular. As much as I hate the LTC system and will celebrate when MA goes to constitutional carry…would you agree that the requirement for an LTC has virtually eliminated straw purchases in MA?

It’s just hard to imagine one of these desperate people going through the process just so they can be a straw. And it’s equally hard to imagine someone who likes guns enough to wait months for an LTC to risk it by buying guns for a criminal.

I’m not trying to be overly provocative- I just want someone to show me the error in my logic.

I’m going to play devils advocate here and say something unpopular. As much as I hate the LTC system and will celebrate when MA goes to constitutional carry…would you agree that the requirement for an LTC has virtually eliminated straw purchases in MA?

It’s just hard to imagine one of these desperate people going through the process just so they can be a straw. And it’s equally hard to imagine someone who likes guns enough to wait months for an LTC to risk it by buying guns for a criminal.

I’m not trying to be overly provocative- I just want someone to show me the error in my logic.
Not exactly.

I was talking to an attorney recently that is working a straw case in MA right now.

Lol sure it likely does to some degree*, but the entire "you need an LTC" idea on its own is morally offensive.

Obviously any system designed to f*** peoples civil rights over in the form of drastically reducing the number of potential gun owners and buyers is going to reduce other things, like potential straw purchasers.

But if not for straws, "there are ways" regardless. And criminals would still use them. Look at Mexico and parts of south and central america, where despite having worse gun control than even MA, the criminals are still getting guns and still shooting people. Most gun control mechanics are pretty much feel good garbage on its best day. On its worst day its an instrument of horrendous tyranny wielded by politicians and authoritarian types globally.

ETA: * there are exceptions. And there are straws in mass, as @Mesatchornug indicates, even if theyre not at the same frequency as other states. The stupid LTC system can't stop
everything.

Back
Top Bottom