• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WWB 240 gr SP .44 Mag

Wow paid $50.00 for a box of 50.:(.. Do these ever go on sale at walmart or dicks? Just bought a 1894 44 lever.. Didn't realize it would take my pay check to shoot it!, Dam! Have to start reloading![angry]

Yes you do need to start reloading. I would certainly go broke shooting factory ammo for my DW 44 revolver and my Henry 44 rifle.

Can make all kinds of loads too which is nice. I make lighter loads using a plated 240 gr bullet with Bullseye powder. 180 gr XTPs, 240 gr JHPs, 240 JSPs, 300 gr XTPs, 310 gr coated bullet with H110 powder.

Look out for the Remington 180 gr JSP ammo at Walmart. That seems to be the cheapest at around $35 if I recall? May be wrong.

Last edited:
Damn, you don't buy factory .44, you roll your own. [smile]

No, it never goes on sale. Only time I got a cheap box was when I bought a Model 29 at the same time lol.

Yes I'm going to reload! I need a set up just for .44 mag . Any good cheap set ups out there just for this? I never reloaded so any help with info on brass and bullets powder recipes? From reading a lot of post I think 240 xtp jhp with H110 powder. I need to learn more . Must get a loader first!

A lot of guys like the Square Deal B for dedicated pistol reloading. It has proprietary dies and too short a stroke for rifle reloading, but for a "buy it now and crank out one caliber" it seems to have a fanbase.

Reloading supplies for .44 mag pay for themselves really quickly. Its really the only way to go unless you only shoot once in a while or you're rich :)

If you save your brass, don't bother saving PPU brass. Stuff sucks and I had to scrap it all. Their factory ammo isn't bad though. Loaded fairly warm.

- - - Updated - - -

I think my 240 grain JHP reloads are $12 to 13 a box. Hard cast lead is even cheaper. [smile]

Thats about what my 240s are costing me also. The 180 gr XTP loads are more pricy due to the shear amount of powder being used and the cost of those bullets.

Yes I'm going to reload! I need a set up just for .44 mag . Any good cheap set ups out there just for this? I never reloaded so any help with info on brass and bullets powder recipes? From reading a lot of post I think 240 xtp jhp with H110 powder. I need to learn more . Must get a loader first!

Yeah definitely get H110 or Win 296 powder (the same exact powder if you didn't know) if you want to make full house "true" magnum loads. You can get Zero 240 gr JSPs for just over 13 cents per bullet shipped also (cheaper than buying the 240 gr XTPs).

My bench is open for .44 Magnum and a host of others. If you are near SE CT, come on down.
I'm rather low on Large Pistol primers and out of suitable magnum powders (Longshot and W571 are all I have currently).
No longer shoot a .44, so my empty brass and bullet supply is minimal to none ( a few 200g LRNFP, perhaps).
Plenty of reloaded ammo on hand from my days with a Redhawk.
You can shoot on the premises, too (up to 100 meters).

Longshot doesn't give you top velocities, like W296, Lil' Gun and 300-MP, but there is some load data for this powder in .44 Magnum:
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/dat...mington+Magnum&Powder[]=296&Powder[]=Longshot

Last edited:
I couldn't afford to shoot any of my .44s if I had to buy factory ammo. Reloading is the cheapest way to go but if you can't do that right now, the next best choice is reloads. Someone here sells reloads. I think his company is qmmo.

Yeah definitely get H110 or Win 296 powder (the same exact powder if you didn't know) if you want to make full house "true" magnum loads. You can get Zero 240 gr JSPs for just over 13 cents per bullet shipped also (cheaper than buying the 240 gr XTPs).

I use 24.5 grains of Win 296 behind 240 grain Hornady XTP's and it pushes the comfortable limit. It is also max load so you need to be careful. This is also a handgun load, rifle loads are different as the barrel is longer and makes more pressure.

I use 24.5 grains of Win 296 behind 240 grain Hornady XTP's and it pushes the comfortable limit. It is also max load so you need to be careful. This is also a handgun load, rifle loads are different as the barrel is longer and makes more pressure.

Yeah that's pretty stout. I think 24 gr is max according to the Hodgon reloading site. I run 23.5 gr myself. 30.5 gr with the 180 gr XTPs.

Peak pressure is almost immediately after ignition. Rifles don't make more pressure, they just apply it over a longer period of time. Biggest risk moving most handgun loads to rifles is making sure the load had enough oomph to make it out of the barrel.

Definitely reload .44mag. As for cheap factory stuff, grab a box of magtech from Cabela's, then reuse the brass. It's CBC which is great.

FWIW, some load manuals do list separate data for rifle loads in .44 Magnum. Generally, the powder charges are the same or very close, as compared to pistol loads, but the velocities are usually rated higher being fired in a longer barrel (20" vs. 8.275" in Hodgdon's data).
Hodgdon lists only the Flex Tip bullet (225g) under .44 Magnum rifle loads with W296 and Lil' Gun... go figure.

BTW, I do have a small amount of 300-MP and a few dozen 200/240g LRNFPs on hand; all of one .44 Magnum case.

Definitely reload .44mag. As for cheap factory stuff, grab a box of magtech from Cabela's, then reuse the brass. It's CBC which is great.

Yup. Just be aware of the other cheap 44 mag alternative - Prvi Partizan. Great ammo but I had too many issues with their brass and had to scrap it all.

Any firsthand experience with Fiocchi brass for reloading? If I keep the 44 from the estate I'm probating, I'll wind up reloading for it.

I think that's literally the one brand of brass I haven't reloaded in 44 mag, so I can't comment on that. I reloaded tons of Fiocchi 357 mag brass with no issues. But like I said before, PPU 357 mag and 44 mag brass blows.

Back
Top Bottom