WWII Postcards from Fort Devens MA. (13 Images!)

Well to add to the WWI cards I posted yesterday from my collection, here are some from WWII.

scan0022.jpg

scan0023.jpg

scan0024.jpg

scan0025.jpg

scan0026.jpg

scan0027.jpg

scan0028.jpg

scan0029.jpg

scan0030.jpg

scan0031.jpg

scan0032.jpg

scan0033.jpg

scan0034.jpg

Ack, a few of the images scanned larger then normal..

The Hospital at Fort Devens was named the, General Cutler Hospital and use to have 4000 beds and was one of the biggest Military Hospitals in the country.

By the end of 1968 it was over flowing with patients and it had a severe staffing shortage.

So they solved it the Army way. Every morning at 5am, they would wake you up and tell you to make your bed, empty your butt can, clean the floor, empty the trash cans and go back to bed. If you could walk you could work they said.

They even took the Section 8 patients that were trying to get discharges out of the mental ward and made them orderlies in the wards.

I spent almost 6 months there and it was the most insane Hospital you ever saw.

Those pictures bring back a lot of memories, Thanks,

When the base was starting to close, the goats from the ASP (ammunition storage point) were sent up to Cutler to be cremated in the hospitals incinerator. This is from what I have been told from some of the last units to call Devens..."Fort Devens"

I grew up in Harvard, and so called the base a playground. I used to hide in the woods on main post and watch the doors of the ASP open as trucks unloaded and loaded. I used to also watch the goats chew down the grass in that low land area.

To this day on Jackson Rd. I still stop at a old four way that is no more, call it habit.

Years back I got signed permission from the base to go into any areas but near the prison to photograph as I wanted. I was told just to stay off the property of those such as Bud, Gillette, American Super Conductor, and so forth.

I'll have to find those CD's that I placed the 1000's of pictures on.

what i dont like about it is the fact that devens was the only large military base in new england. the closest active army fort is now Fort Drum, which is a 12+ hour convoy ride away. they say we need to make the army stronger and all this, meanwhile they close bases that are already made, and are now making shit hole camps into new forts, which means they have to build everything new - nothing like wasting more money!

on the plus side, the rifle ranges are still open, as is the explosives range.
its the only place with pop-up targets in all of new england as far as i know.

We miss Devens also. Every time we are in the area we stop and and tour the base to see what they have done. Always have to check out where the old intel school was. They still haven't done anything with those buildings.[sad2]

what i dont like about it is the fact that devens was the only large military base in new england. the closest active army fort is now Fort Drum, which is a 12+ hour convoy ride away. they say we need to make the army stronger and all this, meanwhile they close bases that are already made, and are now making shit hole camps into new forts, which means they have to build everything new - nothing like wasting more money!

on the plus side, the rifle ranges are still open, as is the explosives range.
its the only place with pop-up targets in all of new england as far as i know.

pffff the demo range's are shit at devens no shaped charges, cratering charges no more than 8 pounds of C-4 at one wack oh yea and you cant use bangalore torpedos tubes either. worst demo range EVER. the only other place with pop-up targets is ft.dix new jersey, ft.drum,ft.indiantown gap. and 2 out of the 3 arent even active duty posts anymore

pffff the demo range's are shit at devens no shaped charges, cratering charges no more than 8 pounds of C-4 at one wack oh yea and you cant use bangalore torpedos tubes either. worst demo range EVER. the only other place with pop-up targets is ft.dix new jersey, ft.drum,ft.indiantown gap. and 2 out of the 3 arent even active duty posts anymore

well they must of changed the demo ranges pounds max.
in 2005 i used the full size cratering charges, and both of the shape charges, and then i blew off a 20+lbs block of c4 i tapped together above ground.

the locals must of been complaining.

yea thats what we were told when we went there. the locals were pitchin a bitch about it. all of our demo ranges have been up at drum latly. the past 3 or 4 have at least

Back
Top Bottom