• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

XM25, The Punisher

The XM25 25mm airburst granade launcher is an awesome weapon system, and I'm extremely happy to see it's finally getting squad level deployment orders planned. As pointed out, especially in an suburban/urban enviornment, programmable, air-burst capability of the 25mm round is extraodinary.

As the XM25 is deployed, I expect to see further development of its payload capabiltiies: Shaped Charge Armor Piercing, Less Lethal, Breeching, Flash/Sonic, etc. In addition, this places the 25mm Special Purpose Sniper System (a 26" barreled version designed to shoot the same round accurately upto 600m) closer to deployment to extend the same kind of multi-role ordinence into the hands of designated marksmen.

that thing is bad***

And the technology inside it is beautiful.

Coils in the barrel allow the round to be programmed as it travels down the barrel for air-burst range or impact triggered (also allows for future expansion of mission configurable, multi-purpose warheads) and the detenator's power source is inertially charged, so the sudden accelleration of firing the explosive charges the detonator's circuits for a few seconds. After a few seconds, if they detonator hasn't set-off the warhead, it discharges and remains inert until charged by another sudden acceleration.

That configuration provides the reliability of an electronic detonation, long shelf-life, protection against accidental detonation, increases the difficulty to reuse unexploded munisions in IEDs and civilian protection agaist the dangers of unexploded munitions in post-war battle-fields.

Great, so what you're telling me is now I have to carry 210 rounds of 5.56, 30 40mm grenades, an 8 pound m-4, a 3.3 pound m-320, and a 15 pound xm-25 and all it's ammo on top of the other 100 lbs of B.S.? Thanks; but, no thanks. We have a saying where I worked.

"Light Infantry! Too light to fight, too heavy to Run!"

But, someone has to test it. Who knows, maybe it will change our entire doctrine. It would make sense since the last real change happened with the advent of man portable machine guns. Cool idea and all; but, I am skeptical to say the least. I've also heard very mixed reviews of it's actual effect on enemies.

Damn shade, did you build the thing?[laugh]

No, if I'd built it, I wouldn't be allowed to talk about the technologies that I know are in it. However, a number of the technologies and patents that went into it and its ammunition are in my field of work, so there's been a lot of press about the technologies.

Removed from service, probably until further notice. This thing has been smacking the taliban's dicks around for a good while now. It's not completely abandoned.

The original XM25 is an M14 sniper rifle built right here in Mass by Brookfield Precision Tool in conjunction with the 5th special forces out pf Fort Devens. Their parts and scope mounts are highly sought after and have been copied by Sadlak, Smith Enterprise, Armcorp, etc. They made less than 20 civilian versions and they command a very high price.

Fourteen pounds with a capacity of five rounds? I don't think so. Too heavy with a limited capacity (how much does each round weigh?) that will make it difficult for troops in the field to hump. This thing is right up there with the "Atchisson Assault Shotgun" that never went anywhere.

Prior to the accident, the XM25 was very popular among soldiers who dubbed it “the Punisher.” The head of PEO Soldier at the time, Brig. Gen. Peter Fuller, called it “a revolutionary weapon … a game changer.”

I didn't know this was built by Red Jacket

Back
Top Bottom