• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yearly Garand Detail Strip

Nice...yeah they can get nasty sometimes. Now a question is this a result of poor seal between the gas cylinder and the barrel pad? Also this is where Kroil really shines.
Another thing to think about is your powder choice. Could the powder just be leaving to much residue. I will be doing some cleaning on my as issued 30-06 which has not been disassembled since July 2016 or 15 matches 7 matches at 60 rounds and 8 at 30 plus a few range trips between for approx 900-1000 rounds with the same load I have been shooting for years. 44.5 grains of Varget

All good points. I don't plan on changing anything - powder or swapping parts. The rifle ran without a hiccup all season, me on the other hand..........
I don't either and I'm trying to remember if I put any antisieze on the barrel threads

I apply anti-seize on all the threads and the other mating surfaces of the gas systems of both my M1s and M14s.

I apply anti-seize on all the threads and the other mating surfaces of the gas systems of both my M1s and M14s.
I do usually but it depends on my laziness. If I left it in the shed I won't get off my ass to get it

I've never seen one that dirty. I don't shoot mine nearly as much as you guys do. I've only put about 200 rounds out of my Winchester since I rebuilt it. I'll take it down at some point to clean up the soot before it becomes concrete.

t

Good post DW. Guess I'll need to get after the GC on the Special. Not enough rounds on my .308 to bother, though both will get a chamber cleaning and a good detail cleaning and re-lube for anything exposed to grit and grime. Winchester won't need any attention- not that many shots since stripping down and rebuilding.

I may have put anti-seize on my GC locks, can't remember. LOL, yeah- that stuff gets everywhere and is hard to wash off.

Done staining the tiger stripe stock and ready to start rubbing in some BLO. Wish I would have had it before sending the Special to Franco, though I can copy dimensions on the Special for the new stock.

I too have learned that antisieze is your friend with the M1 and M1A's. My Garand comes apart easily. I cleaned my CMP special about 3 weeks ago and the only concern I odserved was some minor rust on the piston. Must be from the cold/hot/cold temperature cycles causing condensation. My biggest frustration is removing my M1A's flash suppressor she's a REAL tight bugger. I need to use a brass punch to get it to move.

Antisieze applied with a Q-tip,about a 1/3 of the Q-tip tip covered is enough. A little goes a long way. Too much oil,grease,antiseize will collect dirt and grit.

If any new Garand shooters want some let me know,I might even throw in some Lubriplate. Pickup only.

as a mentioned I have not had my gas cylinder lock of since july 2016 1000 rounds since then.
I have my gas cylinder lock screw (valve) tightened to as tight as I can get it holding the tool and rifle as shown grabbing the front sight/gas cylinder with my other hand. I have never had a lock screw loosen on me and I check each match and maybe 2-3 times it tightened a degree or 2
PDXKQvI.jpg

Now I always run a wet patch of gunzilla(been using that a few years now it seems to do well) dry patch and then a wet patch before locking it up. I think the solvent that runs down the barrel when I put the jag in the muzzle helps keep everything "loose" It came apart with out much effort
PDXKQvI.jpg

q4Y2M1w.jpg

poor picture but 1500 rounds later still not even close to the 1 mark on the gauge
ePNPTNj.jpg

im getting another bore scope soon and will do a 1000 round barrel clean on this and give it a before and after look.

Back
Top Bottom