YMCA (NH) Firearms Ban?

MaverickNH

NES Member
As I was picking up my son from the Goffstown, NH YMCA vacation camp (part of the Greater Manchester YMCA group), I saw a new posting on the front door as a "Notice to Members" indicating that the YMCA prohibited on the premises, in addition to smoking and alcohol, "... illegal drugs, firearms and weapons of any kind". There was a reference to the Members Manual and an indication the Y would revoke membership for violation.

You don't expect this sort of thing in NH...

Noting the Scriv's byline "What you tolerate, you validate; what you put up with - you DESERVE!", I'm considering appropriate action.

I'd guess the main intent is to address actions against youths, who can't carry by law, of course, but could have a pocket knife. Maybe there was a precipitating event that caused the posting. Just as South Station has signs prohibiting guns and weapons but officially doesn't prohibit legal CCW carry, the YMCA may have the same deficit in accurately posting their policies. If I push too hard in a public way, they might feel compelled to indicate a ban on legal CCW carry. Even though this is NH, the YMCA is populated by the same soccermoms and liberal staff as you find in most school systems.

I'd like to tactfully inquire to clarify that illegal drugs, illegal firearms and weapons of any kind possessed by kids are the target, without outright asking if they are banning those with legal CCW permits from carrying. If I get the wrong answers, I'll push back harder. The wife would never go for resigning membership at the YMCA, as the kids do team sports and summer camps there, so I can't make that direct threat.

Suggestions appreciated.

I don't suppose the answer "Your sign says ILLEGAL drugs, firearms and weapons of any kind … my firearm is perfectly legal" would work in this case?

The antis love splitting hairs over the semantics of the Second, we must respond in kind when they use crummy grammar.

If you CC, I'd ignore the posting. If you need to use their locker and store your gun while you work out, I'd say leave the gun secured elsewhere. This may be a new local policy. I haven't seen it posted in my local Y. I didn't see any mention of it on the YMCA web site either.
Best Regards.

Based on the number of theft reports we would take at our local health clubs, I'd be very reluctant to leave a firearm in any of those lockers.

Since it is their property, it's their rules/policy. I'd still discretely CC as the most they could do is revoke your membership if they found out.

I don't suppose the answer "Your sign says ILLEGAL drugs, firearms and weapons of any kind … my firearm is perfectly legal" would work in this case?

The antis love splitting hairs over the semantics of the Second, we must respond in kind when they use crummy grammar.

I agree: if it is their intent to ban legal weapons, asking for clarification may just prompt them to correct their wording. If and when they decide to clearly state that legal weapons will not be allowed, that would be the time when I'd explain why I'm ending my membership.

If you do decide to carry in the gym, I'd suggest keeping it on you at all times, as gym lockers and parking lots are popular targets for thieves. I'm considering joining a gym (a long overdue decision), and am thinking that a fanny pack is probably the best way to go.

Since it is their property, it's their rules/policy. I'd still discretely CC as the most they could do is revoke your membership if they found out.

While you are correct, "They" is a corporation funded by membership fees, public funding grants and private donors. If they lose support of even 20% of their donors/members, they are likely screwed.

I'd rather not do that, as they do good stuff for the community.

Yeah, whatever you do, don't leave anything in your gym locker you ever plan to see again. I worked at a gym before and there are literally people who show up and pay a guest fee exclusively to get access to locker rooms.

oh good, I'm going to be living near there, maybe I'll go there to join, then see the sign and say, sorry I can't join.

As I was picking up my son from the Goffstown, NH YMCA vacation camp (part of the Greater Manchester YMCA group), I saw a new posting on the front door as a "Notice to Members" indicating that the YMCA prohibited on the premises, in addition to smoking and alcohol, "... illegal drugs, firearms and weapons of any kind". There was a reference to the Members Manual and an indication the Y would revoke membership for violation.

Suggestions appreciated.

I suggest everyone read the OP's initial post again with emphasis on the bold red above. There is no mention of "illegal" firearms - just "firearms". That means your legally carried firearm as well. They specifically mention "illegal drugs" as opposed to just "drugs" because otherwise technically you couldn't be in there if you had even so much as an aspirin on you. Adding "weapons of any kind" makes the "firearms" portion of the sign redundant. Read the sign for what it means and not for what you think it means. [rolleyes] Damn I sound like Scrievner...

That being said I would still CCW. [wink]

Last edited:
Yeah, whatever you do, don't leave anything in your gym locker you ever plan to see again. I worked at a gym before and there are literally people who show up and pay a guest fee exclusively to get access to locker rooms.

Yeah - it turns out to be the young males lifting stuff from unlocked lockers at the NH YMCA. Sadly, the YMCA can't control their namesake target - Young Men Christians... But we don't get the mass breakins like we had at the BAC in Boston.

Not to make it seem rosey, we've got crime here too, even if 51st in the nation for crime rate (counting Puerto Rico, I guess).

But that's another thread altogether.

I know this is an older topic however.....

I am currently an employee of my local YMCA, and have been for several months. I am also a retired law enforcement officer, with several concealed carry permits (several states).

I was advised today that my carrying my lawfully possessed firearm concealed inside the YMCA facility, violates their policy.

I am currently being considered for termination because of this so called YMCA policy. As far as I know, there is a policy against "illegal drugs, illegal firearms and weapons of any kind possessed"

I do not carry or posses any "illegal drugs, illegal firearms and weapons of any kind possessed".

The firearms I carry are possessed LEGALLY, yet they (YMCA management) are now deciding if I am in violation of their policy.

I am awaiting a decision and will update as needed.

Actually

I suggest everyone read the OP's initial post again with emphasis on the bold red above. There is no mention of "illegal" firearms - just "firearms". That means your legally carried firearm as well. They specifically mention "illegal drugs" as opposed to just "drugs" because otherwise technically you couldn't be in there if you had even so much as an aspirin on you. Adding "weapons of any kind" makes the "firearms" portion of the sign redundant. Read the sign for what it means and not for what you think it means. [rolleyes] Damn I sound like Scrievner...

That being said I would still CCW. [wink]

Actually, the the policy/sign reads says:

"illegal drugs, firearms and weapons of any kind"

Because of the comma, between "illegal drugs, firearms" that means to include or attach the word "illegal" to "firearms".

I am certain that is what the policy is intended to convey.

To actually have a policy that would prohibit legally and/or lawfully possessed firearms, would also have to extend to on duty police officers responding to incidents. Unless otherwise indicated.

I have not observed any such policy which singles out the aforementioned, only the one that reads "ILLEGAL DRUGS, FIREARMS".

As I stated before my firearms are possessed/carried LEGALLY,or with proper legal authority.

"illegal drugs, firearms and weapons of any kind"

Because of the comma, between "illegal drugs, firearms" that means to include or attach the word "illegal" to "firearms".

To actually have a policy that would prohibit legally and/or lawfully possessed firearms, would also have to extend to on duty police officers responding to incidents. Unless otherwise indicated.

I have not observed any such policy which singles out the aforementioned, only the one that reads "ILLEGAL DRUGS, FIREARMS".

As I stated before my firearms are possessed/carried LEGALLY,or with proper legal authority.

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope that you don't lose your job.

"illegal drugs, firearms and weapons of any kind" Because of the comma, between "illegal drugs, firearms" that means to include or attach the word "illegal" to "firearms".

I think you are in a semantics war. Your best option would be IMO is to consult with an attorney who is knowledgeable in these areas. BTW, how did they find out you were carrying?

I'm sorry to hear of your situation and wish you the best in this ordeal.

I think you are in a semantics war. Your best option would be IMO is to consult with an attorney who is knowledgeable in these areas. BTW, how did they find out you were carrying?

I'm sorry to hear of your situation and wish you the best in this ordeal.

Another staff member complained to a "Director" when she accidentally discovered I was armed.

I was carrying my firearm in a Desantis R60 Gunny Sack Fanny Pack Holster, took it off for a moment to readjust it she observed me holding what she believed to be a gym bag, in the gym/fitness area and asked if I could put in a locker. I advised her that it was not a gym bag, but a holster for my firearm. She said "well I don't like that" and ran to the director.

Last edited:
Another staff member complained to a "Director" when she accidentally discovered I was armed.

I was carrying my firearm in a Desantis R60 Gunny Sack Fanny Pack Holster, took it off for a moment to readjust it she observed me holding what she believed to be a gym bag, in the gym/fitness area and asked if I could put in a locker. I advised her that it was not a gym bag, but a holster for my firearm. She said "well I don't like that" and ran to the director.

"accidentally discovered?" How is it accidental when you come out and tell her what it is?

Regardless, please keep us posted as to the outcome. Our daughter spent the summer at the Goffstown YMCA camp for her third year and we expect to enroll our son next year as well. I feel a lot more comfortable knowing that someone on the premises is carrying concealed.

Thanks,
Fitz

"accidentally discovered?" How is it accidental when you come out and tell her what it is?

Regardless, please keep us posted as to the outcome. Our daughter spent the summer at the Goffstown YMCA camp for her third year and we expect to enroll our son next year as well. I feel a lot more comfortable knowing that someone on the premises is carrying concealed.

Thanks,
Fitz

Well Fitz, she (the staff member) was adamant about the "gym bag" I had on my person, which in fact was not a "gym bag" but as I indicated above, a waist worn fanny pack holster, which I temporarily removed from my waist to readjust and replace. I tried to politely tell her it is ok, but she then started putting her hands on the bag in an attempt to take it from me, while saying that she would "put it in the open staff office". At that point I thought that by properly informing her of my proper and legal authority to have/carry the firearm, she would "get it" and go about her other duties, knowing full well that I was a co-worker. I was was wrong. She had horrified look on her face and said "well, I don't like that" and informed a "director" soon after.

I don't believe I should have lied about it to her, because I am not that way. Besides, I know that I am not in violation of any local and federal law and that the alleged YMCA "Policy" does not supersede my proper and legal authority to carry a firearm for my personal protection.

I have requested that if I am to be terminated based on this, I want it in writing, the YMCA policy that is on file indicating that even active or retired law enforcement officers, with proper legal authority to posses firearms are prohibited from being inside the YMCA. I do not believe their firearms policy actually states this, but I am waiting to hear. Perhaps they are amending the policy, just for me. Stay tuned. :)

I don't believe I should have lied about it to her, because I am not that way. Besides, I know that I am not in violation of any local and federal law and that the alleged YMCA "Policy" does not supersede my proper and legal authority to carry a firearm for my personal protection.

I have requested that if I am to be terminated based on this, I want it in writing, the YMCA policy that is on file indicating that even active or retired law enforcement officers, with proper legal authority to posses firearms are prohibited from being inside the YMCA. I do not believe their firearms policy actually states this, but I am waiting to hear. Perhaps they are amending the policy, just for me. Stay tuned. :)

Certainly no argument there.

Fitz

Well Fitz, she (the staff member) was adamant about the "gym bag" I had on my person, which in fact was not a "gym bag" but as I indicated above, a waist worn fanny pack holster, which I temporarily removed from my waist to readjust and replace. I tried to politely tell her it is ok, but she then started putting her hands on the bag in an attempt to take it from me, while saying that she would "put it in the open staff office". At that point I thought that by properly informing her of my proper and legal authority to have/carry the firearm, she would "get it" and go about her other duties, knowing full well that I was a co-worker. I was was wrong. She had horrified look on her face and said "well, I don't like that" and informed a "director" soon after.
Counter-attack. File a complaint against the pushy ewe for interference with your YMCA duties, attempted theft, battery, and making false complaints. The best defense is a good offense. Good luck.

Last edited:

If I may ask, why the special exception for active/retired LEOs? I think just having a carry license should be sufficient enough.

You stated you're an employee, is there an employee handbook or policy manual in existence?

If so and it states no weapons it's quite possible that would be grounds for termination.

Of course as an employee at will no reason is needed to fire someone...

It seems odd that someone would try to take a fanny pack away from someone, especially if you routinely wear it...

Well Fitz, she (the staff member) was adamant about the "gym bag" I had on my person, which in fact was not a "gym bag" but as I indicated above, a waist worn fanny pack holster, which I temporarily removed from my waist to readjust and replace. I tried to politely tell her it is ok, but she then started putting her hands on the bag in an attempt to take it from me, while saying that she would "put it in the open staff office".

"Shhh...It's my colostomy bag."

If I may ask, why the special exception for active/retired LEOs? I think just having a carry license should be sufficient enough.

This stuff bugs me, like one of my gf's best friends just married a cop. "Oh, Erik can carry a gun anywhere in the country, because he's a cop..."

me: "I wish I could and it's bullshit that I can't! Why is Erik's life more valuable than mine?"

Then I have to go sit in the corner ...[sad2]

I just cannot grasp how naive you are.

You should have told her that the pack was your personal property and that she was not going to touch it, period, no matter what.

Whatever was in it was none of her business and you were a fool for telling her.

Now you will be an unemployed fool.

Seriously. You sound like one of those Dudley Do Rights with a CCW badge.

I just cannot grasp how naive you are.

You should have told her that the pack was your personal property and that she was not going to touch it, period, no matter what.

Whatever was in it was none of her business and you were a fool for telling her.

Now you will be an unemployed fool.

Seriously. You sound like one of those Dudley Do Rights with a CCW badge.

Jose, I am far from being and "unemployed fool". I only worked one night a week at the place and have a free membership, which I did use 5 days a week. I do work other gigs that pay much higher and am not in jeopardy of losing them. I can certainly afford the 39 bucks a month gym fee.

As for the rest of what you posted, just telling her it was my "personal property and she was not going to touch it" would most certainly have lead to her getting others involved, which I was attempting to avoid. The bottom line is that I believe that my CCW issued to me for 23 years of service, should mean something at least a little more consideration than an 21 year old kid who just got one because he happens to know a judge in town. You do understand the difference, yes Jose?

Back
Top Bottom