• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

YMCA (NH) Firearms Ban?

You stated you're an employee, is there an employee handbook or policy manual in existence?

If so and it states no weapons it's quite possible that would be grounds for termination.

Of course as an employee at will no reason is needed to fire someone...

It seems odd that someone would try to take a fanny pack away from someone, especially if you routinely wear it...

From what I have seen regarding the rules, the policy for firearms reads...." the YMCA prohibited on the premises, in addition to smoking and alcohol, "... illegal drugs, firearms and weapons of any kind"

That is all is says. No additional information. There are several others who also carry bags in the gym, ladies purses, nap sacks etc, with no issues. For me I guess it was just wrong place at wrong time with my co-worker.

The bottom line is that I believe that my CCW issued to me for 23 years of service, should mean something at least a little more consideration than an 21 year old kid who just got one because he happens to know a judge in town. You do understand the difference, yes Jose?

So your 2A rights are more important because you had 23 years of service? you must be more equal than others

...The bottom line is that I believe that my CCW issued to me for 23 years of service, should mean something at least a little more consideration than an 21 year old kid who just got one because he happens to know a judge in town. You do understand the difference, yes Jose?

Would you also agree that a 21 year old gets a little less free speech, or a little less free choice of religion as a retired police officer?

And yes I appreciate your 23 years of service, but I don't think you deserve more rights out of the constitution than any other citizen!

just telling her it was my "personal property and she was not going to touch it" would most certainly have lead to her getting others involved, which I was attempting to avoid.
Really? You can't wear a fanny pack while working out or whatever? Are you that much of a pushover that you can't keep one busybody away?

The bottom line is that I believe that my CCW issued to me for 23 years of service, should mean something at least a little more consideration than an 21 year old kid who just got one because he happens to know a judge in town.
So now you're better than others? As far as I am concerned you are nobody special because of what you did. And unlike others, I do not appreciate your 23 years of service doing whatever you did.

Your username is certainly fitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you also agree that a 21 year old gets a little less free speech, or a little less free choice of religion as a retired police officer?

And yes I appreciate your 23 years of service, but I don't think you deserve more rights out of the constitution than any other citizen!

What does him asking a PRIVATE employer for special consideration have to do with him getting "more rights out of the constitution than any other citizen"?

I would get in touch with whichever NH pro-2A org you belong to and share your story. I am certain that they will be interested.

Also get in touch with Atty Evan Nappen in Concord www.efnappen.com or Atty Penny Dean in Concord http://pennydean.com/ and explain the situation to one of them. They both represent two different pro-2A orgs in NH.

Good luck, I'm afraid that you are going to need it.

I would get in touch with whichever NH pro-2A org you belong to and share your story. I am certain that they will be interested.

Also get in touch with Atty Evan Nappen in Concord www.efnappen.com or Atty Penny Dean in Concord http://pennydean.com/ and explain the situation to one of them. They both represent two different pro-2A orgs in NH.

Good luck, I'm afraid that you are going to need it.

Although the original post dealt with a NH YMCA, based on this comment:
The bottom line is that I believe that my CCW issued to me for 23 years of service, should mean something at least a little more consideration than an 21 year old kid who just got one because he happens to know a judge in town.

leads me to believe toolbox is from MA.

Either that, or it represents a near-criminal misunderstanding of NH laws.

Although the original post dealt with a NH YMCA, based on this comment:

leads me to believe toolbox is from MA.

Either that, or it represents a near-criminal misunderstanding of NH laws.

Isn't it New York State where pistol permits are issued by judges... somehow I don't think toolbox is referring to the Greater Manchester Y

Pleased

I am pleased to report that the matter has been resolved properly, and in my favor.

Common, sorry I mean good sense has prevailed for a change.

I agree: if it is their intent to ban legal weapons, asking for clarification may just prompt them to correct their wording. ...

As I've said many times... having things 'clarified' is NOT always the best course of action. (see restrictions: notation on LTC)

Ambiguity can work in your favor.

I was just trying to make point of experience of carrying a firearm for many years under different conditions.

Well Sir, what you were and what you are today are two different things. Although you can still carry concealed under the provisions of LEOSA (I wouldn't advise doing it in New Jersey, though) you are in the same boat as the rest of us "civilians." I will readily admit that there is a strong anti-LEO bias in a very vocal segment of this Forum. The reason being is that Police Officers are frequently perceived as a special entitled class, and in the opinion of many here Police Officers see themselves as a special entitled class. My sensing is that you are recently retired and may be in a state of culture shock that many people could care less if you were a Police Officer for 23 years or 46 years. The actions of your fellow employee probably shocked you because she wouldn't cease and desist and you thought you would get a free pass because you are a retired Police Officer.

There were better ways of handling the situation IMO, you could have said that you had controlled medication in the bag, or that your valuables were in the bag, or that you were carrying a large amount of cash in the bag because you had just sold a high value item, or you could have simply left the area.

Now as strengh has pointed out you have approached a private entity and it is not about your constitutional right to carry.

I am pleased that the results were favorable to you and that the YMCA will perhaps rephrase and clarify their policy.

What I do find a tad distressing is an assertion that you should get more consideration because you are an ex-cop. It's back to that Orwellian concept that "all animals are equal but some are more equal than others." I only hope that if I were to show up at your YMCA with my CCW and my NH non-res permit, and somehow it became known that I was carrying, that I would be afforded the same courtesy as you despite my non-sworn, "civilian" (I prefer the term citizen) status.

The other aspect you are going to have to deal with here, is that employee who can still find a way to make trouble for you. I'm guessing maybe there is a little more to this story with regard to your interaction with her.

HTML:
I am pleased that the results were favorable to you and that the YMCA

Last edited by a moderator:
Update

I received a message asking for further clarification on how this matter was resolved. To state it plainly, I am not going to be terminated, I will be allowed to carry my legally/lawfully possessed firearm inside the Y, as long as it remains on my person while inside the facility. This became an issue when I had temporarily removed the fanny pack holster from my waist to readjust it, which caused the initial incident. The management was concerned that if the firearm was not in my graspable area, that it could end up in the wrong or improper hands, if I was somehow incapacitated. I reassured the management of their legitimate concerns, and put their fears to rest.

All is now well and this matter has been properly resolved.

PS. I also received a 2 dollar per hour raise. [smile]

I received a message asking for further clarification on how this matter was resolved. To state it plainly, I am not going to be terminated, I will be allowed to carry my legally/lawfully possessed firearm inside the Y, as long as it remains on my person while inside the facility. This became an issue when I had temporarily removed the fanny pack holster from my waist to readjust it, which caused the initial incident. The management was concerned that if the firearm was not in my graspable area, that it could end up in the wrong or improper hands, if I was somehow incapacitated. I reassured the management of their legitimate concerns, and put their fears to rest.

All is now well and this matter has been properly resolved.

PS. I also received a 2 dollar per hour raise. [smile]

Glad you won the battle and the war!

Are you now getting a $2/hour premium as armed security for the Y? [laugh]

Glad you won the battle and the war!

Are you now getting a $2/hour premium as armed security for the Y? [laugh]

17 per hour AND free membership that is good in any YMCA in the country. When you factor in the cost of a nation wide gym membership for the Y and other NY based gym chains is about 89 per month, it is not a bad deal. I use the gym 5-6 days a week, but only work 4 hours week, which frees me up to do other higher paying gigs.

[smile]

Well Sir, what you were and what you are today are two different things. Although you can still carry concealed under the provisions of LEOSA (I wouldn't advise doing it in New Jersey, though) you are in the same boat as the rest of us "civilians." I will readily admit that there is a strong anti-LEO bias in a very vocal segment of this Forum. The reason being is that Police Officers are frequently perceived as a special entitled class, and in the opinion of many here Police Officers see themselves as a special entitled class. My sensing is that you are recently retired and may be in a state of culture shock that many people could care less if you were a Police Officer for 23 years or 46 years. The actions of your fellow employee probably shocked you because she wouldn't cease and desist and you thought you would get a free pass because you are a retired Police Officer.

There were better ways of handling the situation IMO, you could have said that you had controlled medication in the bag, or that your valuables were in the bag, or that you were carrying a large amount of cash in the bag because you had just sold a high value item, or you could have simply left the area.

Now as strengh has pointed out you have approached a private entity and it is not about your constitutional right to carry.

I am pleased that the results were favorable to you and that the YMCA will perhaps rephrase and clarify their policy.

What I do find a tad distressing is an assertion that you should get more consideration because you are an ex-cop. It's back to that Orwellian concept that "all animals are equal but some are more equal than others." I only hope that if I were to show up at your YMCA with my CCW and my NH non-res permit, and somehow it became known that I was carrying, that I would be afforded the same courtesy as you despite my non-sworn, "civilian" (I prefer the term citizen) status.

The other aspect you are going to have to deal with here, is that employee who can still find a way to make trouble for you. I'm guessing maybe there is a little more to this story with regard to your interaction with her.

Sorry to disappoint you, there is nothing more to this story.

Sorry to disappoint you, there is nothing more to this story.

Frankly I am glad that there is nothing more to the story and I readily assure you that I am not disappointed, just be wary of some of your fellow employees. You won this round, but who is to say you will prevail in the future? You know now that someone on the staff probably has 'issues' with you. I'm glad that you got a raise too [grin]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom