• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

You’re at a mass shooting event armed. What do you do?

Are people really concerned about the legal / financial consequences of fighting back against a tactical incel shooting kids?

Where are the murderboners when we really need them? I’d be legally concerned if I pulled a Kyle and got into a gun fight over property. The 2A crowd seem to celebrate this type of scenario. For the rest of his life he has to sell t shirts and do gofundmes to get by … and for what?
Pretty certain the concensus is to act if kids are at risk.

And Kyle didn't get into a gun fight over property - he was personally attacked and defended himself.

Five. Freakin'. Months.

Yeah. I want nothing to do with cops and DAs. That's not why I'm not intervening if there's an egress route, but anyone choosing to use that as a reason not to? I think that's entirely understandable.

This is the real world, sadly.
Exactly, I might not agree with it but it’s perfectly understandable and I respect it.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
I'm taking you with me to the mall next time I go. Oh, wait. I hate malls and other crowded places. They leave me on edge (because of the groups of people that hang out there, and un-winnable situations).
Many of those fellow countrymen are the same people who sought to deny us our right to bear arms to defend ourselves in such situations. And they're the same people who will prosecute us should we chose to do so. So yeah, I'm perfectly fine letting such people fend for themselves. I will be both comfortable with it and sleep well at night. People need to reap what they sow and suffer the consequences of their bad decisions. I would never wish harm on anyone. But if you advocate for and advance the very policies that bring it on, then you need to feel that.

Being stupid should hurt those who were stupid. Not others, like me.
I wonder is people like Elisjsha Dicken have changed any minds. Maybe not noticeably, but maybe someone who was there started to think about carrying. As compared to most of the sheep who just scream louder "More Gun Control!".

Your not wrong.....in fact your spot on......but most of the reasons why people will not engage an active shooter and would rather run, are the same reasons the country is where it is.

The reality is, most people who worked for stuff their whole lives have a lot to lose......and they take that into account before they go and do what is right at all costs.
Perfect example is the people who are being railroaded for January 6th to make an example, so everyone else will toe the line. Don't think people don't see this and say....boy....I guess
I'm glad I didn't go there!

And in my example of the old man with nothing to lose.........only then, when most of the country is so fxcked up we have nothing to lose.....will we all get together and do something about the
bullshit.

We accept taxes and tyranny because we are comfortable, well fed, and can sit on our lazy asses and watch TV, sit on our phones, or computers and let shit flow downhill.........me included. Only when we are poor, starving and have nothing to lose will we truly as a nation give a shit IMHO.
Its cowardice. Shitty to hear but its true. Maybe a complete lack of cohesion thrown in as a mitigating factor. None of the founding fathers were poor and hungry and they had plenty to lose. Plenty of Antifa street fighting cops and Feds all summer a few years ago who werent poor and hungry either.

eta- above is regarding taxes, tyranny and the state of the country, not mall shooters

Nobody is coming to save you.
Everything is your responsibility.
save who needs saving.
Kill who needs killing.

If you’re not shooting, you better be moving.
Doing just about anything is better than doing nothing.
Incoming fire has the right of way.
Don‘t die.

Follow these simple instructions, and you might be fine.

I like to tell my self I'd try to stop it but I've never been in a gun fight so I have no idea what I'd do. One things for sure I have no interest in getting in a gun fight with someone with a long gun and armor with my CCW. Also don't forget about that guy that died in a Walmart I think that went in and shot the active shooter, he was shot from behind by the second shooter, never saw it coming. I lean towards get out of Dodge, whatever increases the odds I go home to my family at the end of the day.
Die with a badge while playing mall hero and you will be lauded as a hero.

Die taking the identical action as a mere civilian and you will be cited as an example of why unimportant people should not have guns.

Last edited:
Its cowardice. Shitty to hear but its true. Maybe a complete lack of cohesion thrown in as a mitigating factor. None of the founding fathers were poor and hungry and they had plenty to lose. Plenty of Antifa street fighting cops and Feds all summer a few years ago who werent poor and hungry either.

eta- above is regarding taxes, tyranny and the state of the country, not mall shooters
“For the support of this declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of the divine providence, we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor.”

... July 4th, 1776 insurrectionists

So I was in a mall today, and looking back figure roughly the following scenarios where you'd be a potential victim, and your action/reaction would be different in all cases:

1) Parking Lot in Vehicle, densely parked cars.
a. Less than 10 yards (ground zero).
b. More than 10 yards from assailant.
c. More than 25 yards from assailant.
d. More than 50 yards from assailant.

2) Parking Lot in Vehicle, sparsley parked cars.

3) Parking Lot NOT in Vehicle, densely parked cars.

4) Parking Lot NOT in Vehicle, sparsely parked cars.

5) Big Box Outlet - checkout or other open areas.
b. More than 10 yards.
c. More than 25 yards.
d. More than 50 yards or opposite side of store.
e. Assailant not in line of sight.

6) Big Box Outlet - Dense Isle Areas.
b. More than 10 yards.
c. More than 25 yards.
d. More than 50 yards or opposite side of store.

7) Hall Areas, on foot.
b. More than 10 yards.
c. More than 25 yards.
d. More than 50 yards.

8) Hall Areas, stuck on escalator.
b. More than 10 yards.
c. More than 25 yards.
d. More than 50 yards.

9) Elevator, you hear it...

10) Just outside main entrance, assailant outside.
b. More than 10 yards.
c. More than 25 yards.
d. More than 50 yards.

11) Just outside main entrance, assailant inside.
b. More than 10 yards.
c. More than 25 yards.
d. More than 50 yards.

12) Just inside main entrance, assailant outside.
b. More than 10 yards.
c. More than 25 yards.
d. More than 50 yards.

13) Just inside main entrance, assailant inside.
b. More than 10 yards.
c. More than 25 yards.
d. More than 50 yards.

14) In restroom with no alternate exit.
a. Assailant inside.
b. Assailant outside (not in line of sight)).

15) Small Store
a. Assailant inside
b. Assailant outside, less than 10 yards.
c. Assailant outside, more than 25 yards.
d. Assailant outside, more than 50 yards.
e. Assailant outside (not in line of sight).

Bonus:

The above -- again...
a. You have a spouse, f**k buddy or some other important person with you.
b. It is only you, but you have one small child with you.
c. It is only you, you have more than one small child with you.
d. You are with your spouse and have two small children.
e. You are with your spouse and have more than two small children with you.

So that's over 300 possible scenarios. Each one has it's own legal and mortality risks. We didn't cover:
a. Multiple assailants.
b. Assailant 'outguns' you.
c. You 'outgun' assailant.
d. Other CCW's get involved.

In each scenario, you have to ask:
1) Am I definitely going to die, or is there high probability?
2) Is someone in my party definitely going to die, or is there high probability?
3) Are third parties definitely going to die, or is there high probability?
4) What is my probability of injuring or killing a bystander? (I will not engage in nor do I support any discussions on collateral damage).

In any of those scenarios, are you more afraid of being carried by 6 or judged by 12?

I'll be the first to say I haven't even wondered what I'd do in a small fraction of these. I think it all comes down to your mindset, risk/threat assessment and confidence in the moment. Some of you might end up frozen with piss down your leg... I'll finish with the fact that anyone here keyboard-commandoing will have it plastered all over the walls in court if a DA feels the need to rake you over the coals for any reason or no reason at all.

It’s unfortunate to say this, but in its current state our country is incoherent and doesn’t have any shared values. There are a lot of people like myself who maybe would have put themself at risk for strangers some decades ago, but not for an america that has ceased to be a nation and is now little more than a big economic zone.

And the concerns about being misidentified by first responders / attacked by malicious DAs are also very real.

I don’t think they would actually prosecute someone who took down a mass shooter in MA, but only because it would be politically unteneble. They would if they could.

Back
Top Bottom