You Could Say I Am a Sniper Now ...

I think I made up my mind on a scope. Since having a good scope for shots at 100 yards and a good scope for long range is not very realistic, I will buy two scopes.

A Vortex Viper PST now for range fun and practice (6-24x50) and later I will probably go with a lower magnification. I have other rifles that need a scope so if I decide on a permanent set up the scope won't be homeless.

Thoughts?

@AJK129 @paul73 @Mesatchornug @Mountain
@Tallahassee
great scope and you won't regret it.

I think I made up my mind on a scope. Since having a good scope for shots at 100 yards and a good scope for long range is not very realistic, I will buy two scopes.

A Vortex Viper PST now for range fun and practice (6-24x50) and later I will probably go with a lower magnification. I have other rifles that need a scope so if I decide on a permanent set up the scope won't be homeless.

Thoughts?

@AJK129 @paul73 @Mesatchornug @Mountain
@Tallahassee
Thumbs up regarding the PST.

All this talk of new cartridges got me interested in something new, just bought one of these in 7mm PRC:

Got a couple hundred rounds of this to try:

I wanted something more powerful for a future elk hunting trip. Anyone have
calls 6.5cm all marketing...buys a Christensen Arms rifle...riiiiiiighttt....

In all seriousness though, I hope it shoots well for you.

What would you suggest otherwise that offers comparable features/weight and is chambered in 7mm PRC at that price point?

I'm busting your balls. I'm a huge Tikka fan so if it was my money, I'd rebarrel a used Tikka action.

CA is a bit notorious for QC issues. There's a lot of reviews out there of headspace issues, non-concentric muzzle threads, rusted bores, etc. Hopefully you get a good one.

so, did you get your rifle yet or not? where are the pictures? c'mon, we`re waiting. :)
I did, and the scope.

Now I need to mount the scope and reload some ammo.

I can't post a pic for fear of being doxed by NES.

I will stsrt this week, but I also have another project going on, taking apart a 1910 National Cash Register, cleaning it a little and oiling it. And probably fapping at the amount of work engineers put into it. I might start a thread about that.

I did, and the scope.

Now I need to mount the scope and reload some ammo.

I can't post a pic for fear of being doxed by NES.

I will stsrt this week, but I also have another project going on, taking apart a 1910 National Cash Register, cleaning it a little and oiling it. And probably fapping at the amount of work engineers put into it. I might start a thread about that.
You must really like antiques buying both an old cash register and a gen 1 vortex

Took it out to the range today to try some factory ammo.

Waiting for the labradar to arrive this week before I move to reloads.

Some S&B performed really well at 100 yards.

All 5 shot groups.
Didn't let it cool between shots.
Let the rifle cool for 5 minutes between groups of 5.

This ammo performed the best:

Screenshot_20230220_123808_Chrome.jpg

Groups from the SB 142grs HPBT, 1" squares:
20230220_130253.jpg20230220_130247.jpg

20230220_130258.jpg

This one was really good, also sub MOA, but not quite as good as the 142gr HPBT:
Screenshot_20230220_123836_Chrome.jpg

This one was pure sh*t.
Screenshot_20230220_123854_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Took it out to the range today to try some factory ammo.

Waiting for the labradar to arrive this week before I move to reloads.

Some S&B performed really well at 100 yards.

All 5 shot groups.
Didn't let it cool between shots.
Let the rifle cool for 5 minutes between groups of 5.

This ammo performed the best:

View attachment 723350

Groups from the SB 142grs HPBT, 1" squares:
View attachment 723357View attachment 723358

View attachment 723356

This one was really good, also sub MOA, but not quite as good as the 142gr HPBT:
View attachment 723351

This one was pure sh*t.
View attachment 723352
wait, you guys are shooting your guns?

My youngest wanted to go to the range with me this morning and shoot my 6.5 CM. It was his first time shooting past 200 yards. I put him on a gong at 550, asked him to range it and give a wind read. Kid called it dead on with no input from me, let it rip, and rang that bitch dead center on the first shot. He then proceeds to clear the rifle, put in on safe, turns to me and says: "I'm basically a sniper now." It was a proud dad moment.

The Viper seems to be a really nice scope from what I read.
Broc I just went through this same scope finding exercise. I wasn't really looking for something with as high magnification either, but went with the Viper PST2 5-25 as well. I was down down every rabbit hole possible trying to make comparisons and it cam down to the Vortex or the Nightforce F1 SHV. Everything I made comparisons to always brought me back to the Viper PST2. That's what I got. Amazon seemed to have best price $1099

Broc I just went through this same scope finding exercise. I wasn't really looking for something with as high magnification either, but went with the Viper PST2 5-25 as well. I was down down every rabbit hole possible trying to make comparisons and it cam down to the Vortex or the Nightforce F1 SHV. Everything I made comparisons to always brought me back to the Viper PST2. That's what I got. Amazon seemed to have best price $1099

I think they are on sale now for $670 at some retailers.

It is a really nice scope.

Saw a bunch of S&B 6.5CM brass in the range bucket today. Contemplated picking it up for Broc 😂
I shoot high end brass. Peterson.

But appreciate you thinking of me.

I have a few additional loads I will test next weekend.

So far, this is the best:
OAL 2.250 (Hornady Comparator)
CCI LR
HORNADY 143grs ELDX Bullet
H4350
41.3 GRAINS

I loaded more seating them 0.02 shorter.

7 shots
Damn fliers, at least one of those is my fault.

20230306_114656.jpg

Last edited:

OAL 2.272 (Hornady Comparator)
CCI LR
H4350
41.3 GRAINS

7 shots

View attachment 736222
Thats a good group for a mile away

OAL 2.272 (Hornady Comparator)
CCI LR
H4350
41.3 GRAINS

7 shots

View attachment 736222
At least one hit the mark… try harder. 😜

OAL 2.250 (Hornady Comparator)
CCI LR
H4350
41.3 GRAINS

7 shots

View attachment 736222
measure not to oal, but to ogive, get yourself this kit if you do not have it.

group size at 100yds without measured ES/SD is not too useful. if SD is really bad - it will make this load drop too far apart at 300/600.
the idea is to get a node where you have both good groups and good SD.

41.3gr seems pretty conservative - what speed do you get there?

measure not to oal, but to ogive, get yourself this kit if you do not have it.

group size at 100yds without measured ES/SD is not too useful. if SD is really bad - it will make this load drop too far apart at 300/600.
the idea is to get a node where you have both good groups and good SD.

41.3gr seems pretty conservative - what speed do you get there?
I use the Comparator. Calling OAL wasn't right, that is why I wrote (Hornady Comparator).

41.3 gives me 2706 with a SD of 9.2

I could try going higher. Might try a few at 42, see what happens. 41.5 the SD went to sh*t but the group was good, 41.1 the SD and group was sh*t.

Next group of loads is the same load 41.3, but seating depth +0.02 all the way to 2.240, and 2 more loads at 2.252 and 2.254.

Normally I would only want to increase the sesting depth, but I started a little deep.

I have some brass left, I might try a higher load of 42 or 41.7, see what happens there.

Back
Top Bottom