you ever have "one of those days" at the range?

decided to get some practice in on my remington 700 build this afternoon. so i load up my gear and hopped in my truck and drove the half hour to the range. i get there and am pumped to see the 100yard range is empty! AND somebody left up a bunch of untouched targets at the backstop to save me a trip downrange!! SCORE! I get the spotting scope set up and start to unpack my rifle and ammo when the all of a sudden the damn scope falls off......image0.jpeg

luckily I had my hands on it, so it was undamaged. the base of the ring looks like it had a defect in the metal and cracked right in half... so now i'm totally up shits creek and before i pack up i decide what the hell; i'll check the torque on the mounting screws for the bases. i get out the torque wrench and set it to 25 inch pounds and.....image1.jpeg

needless to say i packed up and got the hell out of there before anything else went wrong!

rings - Weaver grand slam
bases - remington factory

That’s sucks. And yes I think everyone has those days. Like you, I tend to recognize it and just pack up for the day before something else happens. lol

what rings ? those look like cast shit metal ? Is that the head of the screw for the scope base?

One of those days, yup have had them and still will Im sure.
Forgot the bolt on more than one range trip, wrong ammo , wrong cammo bag.....

Last time I had one of those days at the range, my revolver blew up.

Last week I went to a USPSA march at Pioneer. I decided to drive to my parents house and spend the night there because they are less than 1hr from the club. I leave my house at 6pm, get to my parents at 7pm. At 10pm I reliazed I left my belt at home so I drove back home, arrived at 11pm and decided to stay home. Woke up at 6am.

One time I didn't crimp my rounds enough and almost half of the rounds wouldn't fit in the revolver cylinder. I didn't find out until I arrived to the range.

Another time, shooting black powder, first shot dodnt go off. I think I had some humidity and didn't realize it. I didn't have a bullet puller. I had to leave and go home.

These are all small annoying things over 11 years, going to range 1 to 2 times per week.

Last edited:
A 30 round mag lives in my range bag permanently because I've ended up at the club with a rifle and ammo but no mags more than once.

i feel everyone's pain. i think we've all been there at some point. it's why i keep a separate bag in the truck with a stapler, several boxes of staples, targets & ear protection...so i'll never be without again.

I went to a smallbore match and left the bolt to my Anscutz sitting on my bench at home.

I went to the range to do some Highpower practice, Set up everything, went to pull the charging handle and nothing was there. No handle, no bolt. I cleaned it just before I went and left two important pieces on my bench. Had to pack everything back up and go get them.

Also have gone and forgot the ammo once.

Just wait until you get all the way to the range gate.

And realize that you left your key at home.[frown]
I have to pat myself on the back a bit on this one. I KNEW it was going to happen eventually, so my pass card is always clipped to my range bag.

Forgot everything you guys listed at one time or another, but the gun.
Most times I just say to myself that someone doesn't want me to shoot today and I just go home and do something else![rofl2]

I went to a smallbore match and left the bolt to my Anscutz sitting on my bench at home.
I checked out a few small estates over the summer, what was missing in all 3 estates with bolt guns, F.n bolts and of corse the mags

the last 3 times before i went to the range this time and got a great result with my handloads for my mauser. i had this happen
1. stuck case had to buy a metal rod used in winter time for marking to push out the live round.
2. 6.5 creedmoor bolt extractor broke and had a stuck case.
3. car battery died and had to get a jump from my friend for some unknown reason.

sometimes the range gods hate you lol. As long as you walk home that day with all body parts unharmed when using small explosions inside a metal container to push more metal...it is a good day than loosing an eye or fingers.

Last trip forgot my stapler...fortunately i had some masking tape so I taped a couple targets up and saved the day...:D

i feel everyone's pain. i think we've all been there at some point. it's why i keep a separate bag in the truck with a stapler, several boxes of staples, targets & ear protection...so i'll never be without again.

Yup. I have a number of boxes and bags that live in the truck.
One's a "setup bag", it has stapler, staples, gloves, mallet, pliars, cutters and zip ties - it's for setting up stages.
Another is a "bench box". Targets, spotting scope, sand bags, bench rest.
My 3gun box has a double-alpha belt, a handgun holster with retention, shotgun shell caddies, Pmag carriers and chokes.
Spare parts and tool box - wrenches, screwdrivers, spare parts for G17 and G34, batteries, etc.
Another box has ammo, 20GA, 12GA, .223 and 9mm.
And yet another box has loaded mags for my AR and my G17/34 - defensive loads; about 20 rounds of buckshot, a good flashlight and a spare knife.
There are other boxes with clothes, rain gear, blah, blah, blah.
(2) spare sets of ear pro, plus half a dozen sets of earplugs.
At the rear, easily accessible is a first aid box, with a bit of everything from bandaids and tweezer up to tourniquet and large dressings.

As for the range card(s) and key(s) - they live in the truck too - so I never forget them again.

I almost made a thread like this 3 weeks ago. I was so excited to get some range time. I got there, set everything up, and proceeded to shoot both pistol and rifle like a damn Stormtrooper. I mean, we're not talking large groups. My targets looked like Connect the Dots. I called it a day, went home, spent the extra time I had leftover cleaning the firearms in shame.

Yup. I have a number of boxes and bags that live in the truck.
One's a "setup bag", it has stapler, staples, gloves, mallet, pliars, cutters and zip ties - it's for setting up stages.
Another is a "bench box". Targets, spotting scope, sand bags, bench rest.
My 3gun box has a double-alpha belt, a handgun holster with retention, shotgun shell caddies, Pmag carriers and chokes.
Spare parts and tool box - wrenches, screwdrivers, spare parts for G17 and G34, batteries, etc.
Another box has ammo, 20GA, 12GA, .223 and 9mm.
And yet another box has loaded mags for my AR and my G17/34 - defensive loads; about 20 rounds of buckshot, a good flashlight and a spare knife.
There are other boxes with clothes, rain gear, blah, blah, blah.
(2) spare sets of ear pro, plus half a dozen sets of earplugs.
At the rear, easily accessible is a first aid box, with a bit of everything from bandaids and tweezer up to tourniquet and large dressings.

As for the range card(s) and key(s) - they live in the truck too - so I never forget them again.
go big or go home! you should just tote a trailer. i didn't see provisions for a week listed... [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom