• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

You may be a Geek if...

We bought our Atari ingermany,and I haven't figured the whole quote thing yet. Sorry. [lol] I should add I am computer illiterate still in some things. I'll try to work on it.

This should date me... first 'computer' was when I was 4. It was a TI. Only thing I can remember of it was loading game modules into it like 'Hunt for The Wumpus'. Yeah.

We later moved to an IBM that had dual 3.5 drives but no hard drive. That one could play 'Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago' all day long. Then to the 486 and so on.

I liked working in DOS because it LOOKED so much more impressive when you surfed thru the file structure than clicking 'my computer'.

/only 24

MrsWildweasel said:
I haven't figured the whole quote thing yet. Sorry. [lol]

Instead of hitting "Post Reply", hit the "Quote" button in the message that you want to quote. That pops up a "post a reply" window with the quote text at the top of it. You can even edit it down to remove the stuff you don't want to be there, like I did with the comment about the Atari.

I didn't know what the quote button did, either, and just decided to experiment one day.

But then, I'm a geek. [lol] [lol]

Ross

MidKnight said:
This should date me... first 'computer' was when I was 4. It was a TI. Only thing I can remember of it was loading game modules into it like 'Hunt for The Wumpus'.

Yup, that's the TI 99/4a... had the SLOWEST Basic I ever saw.

And as for Hunt The Wumpus... I recall typing that in on a TTY when I was in high school so we could play it on our Data General Nova 2. Got the program out of Creative Computing.

And seein' as how y'all like antique hardware... check out this link: http://www.rcsri.org/~crfriend/museum/index.shtml. I used to work with Carl, and in fact I know that he lurks on this board from time to time. I suspect that he'll see this post since the topic will be sure to get his attention.

Ross

Lynne said:
Lynne, you say the sweetest things!!

<Batting eye lashes...> I do try dearheart. :D[/quote]

Awww... [oops]
kiss1.gif

Pilgrim said:
Nickle said:
Damn, we had an IBM 360/40. Mobile computer, housied in 2 special semi-trailers, not counting the library van and maintenance van.

Was that you behind the IG Farben building?

I'd look out of the 3rd floor window and see you !

That was us. A very few years after you were there, is when I worked there. I was in the 17th from May 75 to May 77. I spent a bunch of that working up at Gibbs Kaserne. Before I was in the 17th, I was in 1/40 FA (previously 6/40 FA) and 8th Maintenance Bn, both in Hanau.

My older brother had a TRS-80. At that time, I was playing Star Wars on the IBM 370, whenever I could get onto one of the 8 public access CRT terminals at Cornell...

First computer was an atari 800 xl and we payed as much for the 5.25" floppy option. I was in my early 20's. These where the improved version of the 400's /early 800 (had the basic built in. ) I worked on DEC, DG , UNIVAC,
tape drives papertape readers and punches, card punches, any Dec product from 85 on, same with most Sun machines, along with any IBM, or apple product from that time on. Curse of being a hardware tech. (Umass Comp sci for the last 20 years) I am an uber hardware geek. :D

Glenn, I used to have one of the experimental DEC Vax-Mates that was set up for Windows. I think it was Win 2.0 that they had on it, before I got it. Definitely wasn't Win 3.0 or higher, it was a 640K machine, with a 20 MB HDD and a EGA Monitor.

640K all for yourself!?! Why would anybody every need that much memory? [roll] Back when memory was expensive and people had to write tight code, we ran an IBM 360/75 with 1 Meg of RAM for the entire company, running both batch jobs and roughly 50-60 remote terminals. Anything that required over 128K got low priority during the day, and over 256K either had to be run overnight or required special approval. With the exception of the large stat packages I used (which required around 128K) I managed to get most of my stuff to run in the high priority (<64K) class.

Parkinson's Law (Correlary 237.1.0-1): Code expands to exhaust the memory and processor available to it.

Ken

Yeah, well, remember , that was an early 90's or very late 80's machine that ran Windows (pre release version). That damned GUI used up most of that memory. And it wasn't my first computer, just the first one I had that actually ran Windows.

YEa we had Vax-mates, ours ran VMS -sortof. We also had the earliest Microvaxes (souped up PDP's) and we doubled the memory in the whole dept with one 16MB board for 1 machine. (we had a 13 node vax cluster with 11/750 and 11/780's ) And the board cost in the order of around 20K .
The most any of the computers I worked on in the army was In the K's
(64? maybe 128) but it was all descreet components then too. one K was the size of a shoe box. Yikes!

Back
Top Bottom