• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your Casted bullets

Hey do any of you make enough bullets to sell to others? I'm just wondering because instead of buying off a random website, do any of you make enough bullets a week/month that you could sell and make some extra money on?

if so, I'm interested, and possibly others?

Hey do any of you make enough bullets to sell to others? I'm just wondering because instead of buying off a random website, do any of you make enough bullets a week/month that you could sell and make some extra money on?

if so, I'm interested, and possibly others?

Just out of curiosity, what calibers were you looking for?

Casting yourself will always save money rather than buying from a store, and if you were interested in casting yourself, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Evan,

An FFL is required to manufacture bullets for sale.
Nobody wants to risk a felony conviction just to make a few dollars on the side.
There are quite a few bullet casters who would be willing to let you try their equipment to see if you are interested in gettting into casting yourself.
The money that you save in the first year would probably easily pay for the equipment.

Jack

Evan,

Nobody wants to risk a felony conviction just to make a few dollars on the side.
There are quite a few bullet casters who would be willing to let you try their equipment to see if you are interested in gettting into casting yourself.
The money that you save in the first year would probably easily pay for the equipment.

Jack

I dont think you need an FFL just manufacture the bullets. Where did you get this info? Completed loaded rounds you need a license.

Evan,

Jack

i apologize first for not fully reading/remembering the law, i just thought because my living area (lack of ventilation) could be hazardous to my family. so i figured why not.. i see now.

Sorry.

You need a license in Mass pal. Read my post above.

Pal, for the rest of us it wouldnt be a problem. Nor would it be a problem if he were to go out of state, purchase them and then bring them back. There is no federal requirements (the first F in FFL) on the manufacture of bullets for sale only the completed rounds.

actually, i believe you're required to have an 06FFL REGARDLESS of what state you're in.

Manufacturer of ammunition (bullets are included). actually, reloading, handloading, and manufacturing of ammunition components including bullets, primers, brass, and powder is all considered manufacturing ammunition and requires an 06 FFL; 07 FFLs can also manufacture ammo and components.

the state law is a whole seperate ballgame.

so dont be a dick. eddiecoyle is one of the guys on here who REALLY knows his shit.

Last edited:
actually, i believe you're required to have an 06FFL REGARDLESS of what state you're in.

Manufacturer of ammunition (bullets are included). actually, reloading, handloading, and manufacturing of ammunition components including bullets, primers, brass, and powder is all considered manufacturing ammunition and requires an 06 FFL; 07 FFLs can also manufacture ammo and components.

the state law is a whole seperate ballgame.

so dont be a dick. eddiecoyle is one of the guys on here who REALLY knows his shit.

Section 921 (17)(A) of the GCA of 1968 defines "ammunition":
The term "ammunition" means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm.

It also defines "manufacturer' -921 (10):
"Manufacturer" means any person engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms or ammunition for purposes of sale or distribution;

If you make ammo or components for anybody but yourself, you need a Type 06 (or 07) FFL. That's the easy part. It costs $30 for three years. He'll also have to pay an 11% federal excise tax (in addition to income tax) on any component that he sells.

If the would-be manufacturer is in Mass, he'll need to get a Mass ammo dealer's license too ($100), which requires a sign-off from the local CLEO. Most chiefs won't sign off on it unless the applicant also has insurance. I'd like to listen in when someone calls their insurance company and asks if their rates will go up if they open an ammo factory in the garage.

Last edited:
Eddie, I am sorry for being an ass. The term pal rubs me the wrong way. Worked for a guy thtat used to use in a very degrading way. No excuse for being an ass though. And I also apologize for giving bad info to everyone else.

No worries. I didn't mean the 'pal' thing in a derogatory way.

Your reply actually makes more sense (logically) than the law. How can an inert cylinder of metal be ammunition? Unfortunately, even though it doesn't make sense, we have to follow the law.

We all have to be careful of what we post. Some people tend to hear only what they want to hear, and if somebody really wants to sell a few bullets, they can convince themselves that they don't really need a license unless told otherwise.

It's the SALE OF that Evan asked about in his OP. So, EC's reply is on target. You can't sell without a license.

Pal, for the rest of us it wouldnt be a problem. Nor would it be a problem if he were to go out of state, purchase them and then bring them back. There is no federal requirements (the first F in FFL) on the manufacture of bullets for sale only the completed rounds.

What is defined as distribution? I take that to mean more than just sales. If I make 5K bullets with the intent to trade a couple thousand for say brass is that distribution? What about casting extra to give to a friend?

Last edited:
Found this:

(21) The term “engaged in the business” means—

(B) as applied to a manufacturer of ammunition, a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing ammunition as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the ammunition manufactured;

(22) The term “with the principal objective of livelihood and profit” means that the intent underlying the sale or disposition of firearms is predominantly one of obtaining livelihood and pecuniary gain, as opposed to other intents, such as improving or liquidating a personal firearms collection: Provided, That proof of profit shall not be required as to a person who engages in the regular and repetitive purchase and disposition of firearms for criminal purposes or terrorism. For purposes of this paragraph, the term “terrorism” means activity, directed against United States persons, which—

That's the definition for the FREE world states. In Mass, they will get you for driving around with a left over hunting round sitting in your console. My buddy Kicker96FS was horrified when he noticed a loaded 30-06 round in my SUV, while I was in Mass, long after hunting season. For me it was not any sort of thought process.

So, here in Maine, do as you wish, as long as it's not a "part time job type endeavor".

Please be aware that the OP poster is in Mass, and asking questions regarding what he can do.

Found this:

(21) The term “engaged in the business” means—

(B) as applied to a manufacturer of ammunition, a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing ammunition as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the ammunition manufactured;

(22) The term “with the principal objective of livelihood and profit” means that the intent underlying the sale or disposition of firearms is predominantly one of obtaining livelihood and pecuniary gain, as opposed to other intents, such as improving or liquidating a personal firearms collection: Provided, That proof of profit shall not be required as to a person who engages in the regular and repetitive purchase and disposition of firearms for criminal purposes or terrorism. For purposes of this paragraph, the term “terrorism” means activity, directed against United States persons, which—

What is defined as distribution? I take that to mean more than just sales. If I make 5K bullets with the intent to trade a couple thousand for say brass is that distribution? What about casting extra to give to a friend?

That's the tricky part. Many people interpret "distribution" to include even giving them away, let alone selling or trading.

That's the definition for the FREE world states. In Mass, they will get you for driving around with a left over hunting round sitting in your console. My buddy Kicker96FS was horrified when he noticed a loaded 30-06 round in my SUV...

As long as either you or Kicker had a permit (even an FID) in Mass, there's no law against having a loose round (or boxes of ammo) in your car. You have to lock ammo (and components) up for storage, but there's no locked ammo transportation requirement.

Good to know. We were covered then!

As long as either you or Kicker had a permit (even an FID) in Mass, there's no law against having a loose round (or boxes of ammo) in your car. You have to lock ammo (and components) up for storage, but there's no locked ammo transportation requirement.

YOU CAN TRY BUT IT WILL COST YOU.AND YOU WONT HAVE ANY GUNS AFTER.THIS IS A STEADY QUESTION ON ALL GUN SITES.AND ANSWERED THE SAME WAY. EDDY told you the way it is DONT DO IT.

Back
Top Bottom