• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your New Knife!

I truly don't mean to offend anyone, but what's the attraction of Buck knives? The blade steel they use seems to be meh, the designs are ancient, the locking mechanisms are either non-existent or archaic, and they're not user serviceable. Yet they seem to have a cult following. Why?
I get what you mean, but, sometimes I just like having an older looking pocket knife like a case on me, even though the pocket room it takes up could more efficiently be filled with a Swiss Army knife, which I also sometimes carry. It’s nostalgic and makes me think of the old pocket knives my dad used to have. I almost always have something like a spyderco military or paramilitary in my pocket, but, I usually also have a Swiss Army knife or a Case trapper type knife in another pocket. I whipped out my paramilitary in my office once to cut something open and the shocked looks were unexpected. Nobody reacts that way in an office environment when you use an old timey looking pocket knife or a Swiss Army knife.

My dad gave me my first Buck 110 when I was like 7. I also like and carry Case knives too. Not every knife needs to be a $300 wonder steel fiddle f***.

But I also like old Chevys and cowboy boots. I suppose I could drive a brand new truck and wear whatever the cool dudes are wearing too, but I don't.
My dad bought two 112s at the PX. He later had myself and my brother and we each got one. My grandmother gave me my first pocket knife, a literal Dime Store purchase from the 5 and 10 on Mass ave in Arlington, when I was 5.

eBay to get a replacement?
I haven't looked too hard to replace it yet. It was a promotional knife that Case put out at a show back when I was in the service. It was more memorabilia than the larger Spyderco knives I have in rotation. I still have the same Maui Jims from the early 2000's that are for driving only and sit in the 18 yr old truck. This is why I can't have nice things; I lose them. [laugh]

I carried a nice little Case folder for 30+ years and recently misplaced or lost it. Good little knives. [frown]
i don't know why, i take case blades for granted, i always managed to lose my case knives. i used my case knives hard and tossed them around when i should have taken better care of them. i have one now. a 3" wharncliffe blade folder with nice jigged bone scales made by case and branded carhartt on the scale shield. the blade is stamped case on the recasso. i have a photo up here somewhere... i remember mr. enbloc was giddy over that knife. i tried to get him one but they were a limited run and hard to come by. i'd like to get another, i should look to see if any are around.

I truly don't mean to offend anyone, but what's the attraction of Buck knives? The blade steel they use seems to be meh, the designs are ancient, the locking mechanisms are either non-existent or archaic, and they're not user serviceable. Yet they seem to have a cult following. Why?

Same.

I generally like old-skool stuff in life, but stockman-style knives just do nothing for me. To each his own, but I don't get it.

I haven't looked too hard to replace it yet. It was a promotional knife that Case put out at a show back when I was in the service. It was more memorabilia than the larger Spyderco knives I have in rotation. I still have the same Maui Jims from the early 2000's that are for driving only and sit in the 18 yr old truck. This is why I can't have nice things; I lose them. [laugh]
I always use eBay to find things that I used to own.

Hate the place, but it is a good resource.

In a word, nostalgia. In the mid 1960’s and ‘70’s, a Buck 110 was the knife to have.

Back
Top Bottom