Your New Knife!

I absolutely love the spideychef. Great solid knife.

The Atom does feel... delicate, especially with those scales and particularly right at the liner lock spot. It’s not a heavy duty knife though, so much so that they now have something to that effect on their website. The CF fixes a lot of that, but it’s still a very thin blade. Mine is much smoother than all my other knives though - sebenza, PM2, well broken in BM 940, etc.

Last edited:
I absolutely love the spideychef. Great solid knife.

The Atom does feel... delicate, especially with those scales and particularly right at the liner lock spot. It’s not a heavy duty knife though, so much so that they now have something to that effect on their website. The CF fixes a lot of that, but it’s still a very thin blade. Mine was much smoother than all my other knives though - sebenza, PM2, well broken in BM 940, etc.
Maybe this one wasn't broken in yet. I did have to spend some time on the pivot screw to get it to center. The tolerances are so tight on it, that it was a lot of little nudges in one direction or another to finally get it in the center. It was smoother when it was centered, but not as smooth as my PM2 or Presidio. Maybe a drop of oil would have helped. Like I said, this one was used, and the prior owner may have fudged with it a bit. It still wasn't love - so out it goes. That's the same philosophy I have with my guns. I have bought and sold for years to whittle the collection down to where I love every single one I own, and own none that I don't.

I'm OK with a light duty knife, in fact most of my collection leans that way. Day to day the most abuse most of them get is opening a box or cutting a piece of bailing twine. In fact, one of my favorite EDCs is the little CJRB Ria. One could hardly call that heavy duty. But now I'm getting to the point where I'm spending "real" money on knives, and it has to "feel" worth it...and that's completely subjective, and I think I'm a bit spoiled because I have handled so may good knives that were under $100 in the few months I've been collecting. I've bought and sold probably around 50 knives since May. I started in the under $50 range, and bought used on the reddit swap board whenever possible, and their are a LOT of great knives coming out of China for not much money these days. And maybe that's unreasonably set my expectations too high when I spend more than $200 on a knife. Or maybe I just haven't handled the RIGHT high dollar knife yet. But by good golly it's not for lack of trying, lol.

Heck, the 940 didn't even make it to a permanent slot. I found myself carrying the bugout instead.

Last edited:
New to me SpideyChef. Traded it for the Atom I tried last week (plus cash on their part). Definitely like it more than the Atom...this thing is a solid hunk of metal....not sure I like it enough to keep it forever tho. Maybe. It's growing on me throughout the day. Man that blade is slicey! Slippy grips, though, compared to micarta or g10, or even textured TI.

20210104_162014.jpg

New to me SOG Terminus XR (next to my bugout for size comparison).

Has all the fidget buttons, feels great in the hand, perfect EDC size for me awesome blade shape, D2 steel is solid. Blade is on bearings, and drops shut. I like the red g10 scales, and the full skeletonized steel liners make it feel solid.

If I didn't have a couple of Benchmades for comparison, I think I would like the knife better. It has a lot going for it, and I think it's a solid buy for half the price of a BM, however compare the "axis" locks on both of them, and the BM wins hands down. The springs/detent on the SOG is just too strong. This also makes snapping it open with the thumb studs difficult. It's harder to disengage the lock...not hard...just harder than the BM. The pocket clip is bad. Too tight, making it difficult to pull out of the pocket, and the SOG branding is ridiculous. There's a little side to side blade play.

For the $38 I paid on the knife swap, I'll def carry it. It's the right size, fun to figet with, and the right blade size/shape/material for a beater knife. But if they had dialed the detent in better, it would be a better knife. Both Ganzo and Hogue knocked off the axis lock better than SOG IMO20210106_085600.jpg

Not just a new knife, but a brand new knife...brand.

Apparently Civivi is getting a little big for its britches. They are still the dicount brand for WE, but now they have their own discount brand: Sencut. Kinda like getting a dog for your dog...

Dumb name, great knife! This one is the Sencut Citius. And it is in every way a Civivi. Same fit and finish, same perfect centering, same great action on ceramoc bearings (why can Civivi perfect this but SOG can't?). I love the excellent hollow grind, and the stonewash blade does it for me. The flipper is perfectly understated, and the coutout in the blade makes it easy to middle finger flick. The detent is PERFECT. I can't shake it out, no matter how hard I fling it. And all of the hardware is the same t8 torx bit. G10 scales. Skeletonized liners.

I'm impressed. The only cost cutting measures I can see is the 9cr18mov steel, and the packaging. No taco, no stickers, just a plastic bag in a cardboard box like (ahem) Spyderco.

20210111_083331.jpg20210111_083250.jpg20210111_083122.jpg20210111_082950.jpg20210111_082929.jpg

Nice. Great price point. Amazon looks like the only seller and won't ship to Mass... [angry2]
I went to Amazon first, said an FU to the morons that write their policies (If you spend 5 mins looking, you can find autos that they will ship here), and went straight to Ebay. Scored a lot that included this one, and a CJRB Gobi for $35! They both look new.

This wasn't the Sencut I wanted, but I couldn't pass up the deal.

I'm actually crushing on this one with the sweet micarta!

Give them a few months, and all the major retailers will have them.

Two arrivals today; bought them as a bundle from Bento Box Shop for $201: Spyderco PM3 w/black G10 grips / Spyderco Lil' Matriarch w/blue FRN

Spyderco_Jan2021.jpg
I have been eyeballing the Civilian and Matriarch, understanding they are *not* EDC blades...but the Lil' Matriarch is a bit shorter, a bit thicker and a bit less extreme. I will carry for awhile and decide if itch is scratched or if bigger defense blades with SpyderEdge are in my future

I just ordered an Esee 4 HM with kydex sheath. I've EDC'd a Spyderco Native or Endura for 20 years but never even owned a fixed blade. It's going in my "get home" bag for now but it'll also be nice to have for my infrequent day hikes, backpacking and camping trips.

I just ordered an Esee 4 HM with kydex sheath. I've EDC'd a Spyderco Native or Endura for 20 years but never even owned a fixed blade. It's going in my "get home" bag for now but it'll also be nice to have for my infrequent day hikes, backpacking and camping trips.
Love ESEE's... Can I ask what got you interested in the HM over the P?

Love ESEE's... Can I ask what got you interested in the HM over the P?

The choil looks weird to me. Like it's too shallow or missing the bolster shape on the forward edge. I feel like my fingers might slide forward onto the blade but I'm only going by the photos. I've never held it. Reviewers also seemed to favor the HM. Although, I love the choil on my Spyderco Native because I can choke-up on it. I also have pretty tiny hands so shaped handles and finger grooves don't usually match my hand size.

I own the 4P and it fits my hand well. I've never handled the 4HM but it looks like it would also handle well in a bushcraft setting. In a GHB, this would be an excellent option.

Post back and let us know how you like it, would you?
~Enbloc

I own the 4P and it fits my hand well. I've never handled the 4HM but it looks like it would also handle well in a bushcraft setting. In a GHB, this would be an excellent option.

Post back and let us know how you like it, would you?
~Enbloc

I have a 4 P as well, because I prefer the more traditional bolster shape. Just a preference thing I guess. Great knife.

The ESSE 4 HM came today. I’m surprised how hefty it is. It’s not dainty even though it’s “only” a 4 inch blade. I almost got the 5 or the Laser Strike but now I’m glad I went with the 4. What’s the purpose of the paracord and barrel clasp at the tip of the sheath? Obviously it’s an attachment point but is there a typical way to use it?

069FC6C3-CFDA-47E3-9A0E-F6F0F9FACEA5.jpeg

What’s the purpose of the paracord and barrel clasp at the tip of the sheath? Obviously it’s an attachment point but is there a typical way to use it?
Not that I know of. It's not long enough to be a thigh tether. I just remove it.

I posted over on the ESEE forum to see how others make use of it.

I'll let you know what I find...

~Enbloc

Last edited:
The ESSE 4 HM came today. I’m surprised how hefty it is. It’s not dainty even though it’s “only” a 4 inch blade. I almost got the 5 or the Laser Strike but now I’m glad I went with the 4. What’s the purpose of the paracord and barrel clasp at the tip of the sheath? Obviously it’s an attachment point but is there a typical way to use it?

If I had to guess its for tying to molle on a backpack

I'm reading that the paracord and cord-loc is primarily used to make into belt loops using the rivet holes on each side of the sheath and can facilitate vertical and horizontal carry.

@AJK129 also mentioned MOLLE attachment, which is an excellent use for it also...

After an exhaustive search, I have found ONLY ONE photo of it in use though...

1610806859310.png

Also just found this on an UPDATED Instruction sheet from ESEE...

esee-4-instruction-sheet-2013-large.jpg

Last edited:
I'm reading that the paracord and cord-loc is primarily used to make into belt loops using the rivet holes on each side of the sheath and can facilitate vertical and horizontal carry.

@AJK129 also mentioned MOLLE attachment, which is an excellent use for it also...

After an exhaustive search, I have found ONLY ONE photo of it in use though...

View attachment 436587

Also just found this on an UPDATED Instruction sheet from ESEE...

View attachment 436593

Thanks for figuring that out. It makes sense. It came with the cord looped through the two holes in the tip so I didn't consider using it this way

Yeah, if it was a little longer I could see using it for a 'drop-leg' set up. But belt/molle/pack works...

Enjoy it. I love my ESEE's.

My laser strike came the same way years ago. I just took it off and it floats around my junk drawer - don’t need a tek lok and the paracord.

Back
Top Bottom