YouTube censors gun channels

looks like only restricted for kids. Which still sucks.

From VSO:

Published on Apr 6, 2017

YouTube has labeled all gun related content as "mature" or "restricted". This is the equivalent of an NC-17 rating and results in demonitizing of all videos associated with it. Yes, this phenomenon is widespread, many types of content have been affected across YouTube. However, to dismiss it because of this is just wrong. Firearms content by nature is not a "mature" subject. To lump it in with the other types of content affected is to display political motivation in the act. To dismiss this fact it is cowardly, unpatriotic, and perilous. This is yet another attempt to marginalize gun culture.

Send some mail to YouTube and push back. I HIGHLY doubt they spent one iota of time thinking about the issue - the firehose of uploaded content means that there are all kinds of videos demanding their attention/scrutiny from all over the world, they don't have time to process the logic of various complaints they receive. They just act on the side of caution and proceed until they receive pushback, and then somebody 'thinks' about what they're doing.

Youtube has labeled just about anything that might be considered conservative, right wing, libertarian as being restricted through their new algorithm. They seem to be going full on censorship of anything they don't agree with. It all started with demonetizing a bunch of videos and now their restricted mode which is on by default. In order to turn it off you need to be signed in so anyone who watches youtube without signing in wouldn't normally see them. It's really inconsistent too from what I have seen reported.

Youtube "restricted mode" is OFF by default

Youtube has labeled just about anything that might be considered conservative, right wing, libertarian as being restricted through their new algorithm. They seem to be going full on censorship of anything they don't agree with. It all started with demonetizing a bunch of videos
Apparently the (usually ultra-lefty) LGBTXYZ crowd is also upset at their videos being restricted under the new algorithm. So it's not just anti-conservative bias, it's a general nanny state thing.

...now their restricted mode which is on by default. In order to turn it off you need to be signed in so anyone who watches youtube without signing in wouldn't normally see them.
That is incorrect. Youtube "restricted mode" is off by default.

Do you have Windows 10 "Family filter" turned on? Or are you on a corporate-imaged laptop or signed in via a corporate "Apps" account? If so, the default is configurable by your boss. When using a corporate or school account or a browser configured by your company or school, the administrator can use Google Admin Console to turn on “restrict content for logged-in users in your organization”.

Or if you are on public WiFi or a censoring DNS service, they can force restricted mode by playing games with DNS responses.

Absent any of the above, Youtube "restricted mode" is off by default

While we use this application I tend to think it's geared more towards minors and teens. I think they may also be alienating a good portion of their main demographic. Well, when they lose market share they shouldn't have far to go to determine why it happened.

Apparently the (usually ultra-lefty) LGBTXYZ crowd is also upset at their videos being restricted under the new algorithm. So it's not just anti-conservative bias, it's a general nanny state thing.

That is incorrect. Youtube "restricted mode" is off by default.

Do you have Windows 10 "Family filter" turned on? Or are you on a corporate-imaged laptop or signed in via a corporate "Apps" account? If so, the default is configurable by your boss. When using a corporate or school account or a browser configured by your company or school, the administrator can use Google Admin Console to turn on “restrict content for logged-in users in your organization”.

Or if you are on public WiFi or a censoring DNS service, they can force restricted mode by playing games with DNS responses.

Absent any of the above, Youtube "restricted mode" is off by default

I stand corrected. Even youtubes help video says it works on a browser level. Must be a bunch of people trying to access videos from work based PC's then complaining about the filtering.

The new catch phrases at the end of videos might change to: "Don't forget to like, comment and subscribe... Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter... Buy my t-shirt at Cafepress... Go to Patreon/GoFundMe... and thank you to our sponsor Lenny, who works the lunch shift at Simco's, for reloading ammo and the guys at the VFW for the free coffee."

Send some mail to YouTube and push back. I HIGHLY doubt they spent one iota of time thinking about the issue - the firehose of uploaded content means that there are all kinds of videos demanding their attention/scrutiny from all over the world, they don't have time to process the logic of various complaints they receive. They just act on the side of caution and proceed until they receive pushback, and then somebody 'thinks' about what they're doing.

It's more like they act out of cowardice and taking the path of least resistance on too many things. I can't even upload a NON MONETIZED video that has a song playing in the background, Youtube can't even acknowledge
things like fair use.

I don't think Vimeo has restrictions.

Vimeo is great basically they leave your shit ALONE unless someone makes a legit complaint about it.

You Tube has sucked since Google bought it.

The performance of their system has increased dramatically, but so hasn't the censorship type bullshit.

-Mike

It's more like they act out of cowardice and taking the path of least resistance on too many things. I can't even upload a NON MONETIZED video that has a song playing in the background, Youtube can't even acknowledge
things like fair use.

Vimeo is great basically they leave your shit ALONE unless someone makes a legit complaint about it.

The performance of their system has increased dramatically, but so hasn't the censorship type bullshit.

-Mike

It goes even further than that, a number of companies, most notably nintendo have used takedown notices as a weapon against people on youtube. They issue a DMCA notice on a video of someone playing their game, or reviewing their products and youtube automatically taking the money and sending it to nintendo. Then the person who made the video has to appeal and if they win, after a long appeals process they don't get back any of that money stolen from them and by this time the video is old news.

Back
Top Bottom