• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yummy Pagoda Tree Flowers

June4th

NES Member
Yet another proof that Chinese people eat everything. [wink]

This is one of the favorite delicacies of my childhood. I'm surprised that most people don't know that the flowers are edible and delicious. In fact, the honey gathered from these flowers are among the most sought-after variant in Asian countries. You can smell the fragrance as you drive by streets lined by these trees.

Now these flowers are in full blossom everyone, please try a little yourself: eat the flowers, but not the stem. I gave some to my landscapers and they all loved it.

Styphnolobium japonicum - Wikipedia

Tree:

8E931E97-67F8-424E-ABBC-0510D08CD335.jpeg
Flowers with leaves:

8D5BBF0A-3F21-4D8A-B5CC-4F5D73CF1798.jpeg

Last edited:
Although you indeed could eat the whole flower – petals do not taste much different than grass. However, stigma, style and ovule taste great. They are very sweet. So I usually remove petals and eat the internals. It’s more work, but IMHO a much sweeter treat. [wink]

It’s time of the year for this delicacy again!

Strip flowers/buds off, wash and rinse. Two simple recipes:

1. Coat it lightly with flour, steam for 5 minutes. Stir fry with scallion onion and salt to taste.

2. Blend it with ground pork or beef, seasoning to make stuffing for dumplings or stuffed buns.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom