Kittery trading post

I don't get it, why would they lose business?

Because a substantial part of KTPs business model is not selling to "local maine" people. A 3 day delay severely constrains your pool of
buyers at retail over the counter. KTP sells a shitload of long guns to ma**h***s and NH people. Those people are going to stop buying if they
have to endure a 3 day bullshit circus every time they buy a gun there. (much like the poor bastards with the false delays already endure).

Because a substantial part of KTPs business model is not selling to "local maine" people. A 3 day delay severely constrains your pool of
buyers at retail over the counter. KTP sells a shitload of long guns to ma**h***s and NH people. Those people are going to stop buying if they
have to endure a 3 day bullshit circus every time they buy a gun there. (much like the poor bastards with the false delays already endure).

I get that, but why would someone go all the way up to KTP?

Their prices aren't that good.

If I was a NH resident, the last place I would go to buy a gun is KTP, it's a tourist trap. A well stocked one, but still a tourist trap :)

If it's THAT good of a deal, people will wait.

You're thinking like an entthusiast, not your stereotypical MA (or even NH) gun owner relative noob or low volume type that has only ever been to (maybe) four seasons. Remember there are shitloads of gun owners that are not operating on the plane that most of us do here, or almost not even in the same universe. Their worldview is cabelas and four seasons. They don't even know where places like the mill are, or what is inside it, etc. There are thousands of these people in new england, generics, LCDs, whatever you want to call them.

You likely don't see this because you don't know any of these people personally. I happen to know people like this from the non-NES side of my life, and when you know these people, suddenly it makes sense. THOSE people are the archetype of a KTP buyer.

If I was a NH resident, the last place I would go to buy a gun is KTP, it's a tourist trap. A well stocked one, but still a tourist trap :)

Again, you're not looking at it through the lens of an LCD retard. [rofl] These guys are just happy their wives let them stop at KTP while she drags them around the ME coastal
region stopping at junk stores.

ETA: think typical MA domesticus househusband type who shoots like 3 times a year that happens to have an LTC..... "ZOMG ITS A GUN SHOP AND ITS GOING TO BE NEAR WHERE WERE WASTING TIME DOING THINGS I DONT WANT TO BE DOING!"

That dog is going to eat that biscuit even if its just a generic milk bone. [rofl]

Last edited:

In order of the last few firearms I can remember buying from KTP:

- I was there buying winter clothes for one of my kids and they had a lever action
- Maine politicians were on their bullshit again and I figured I'd add to the number of guns sold in Maine (because I'm petty)
- I was in the area and saw something I liked

Ironically these shitty laws aren't designed for you and I because they know we'll just stack guns. They do it because it's designed to frighten, intimidate, and deter new people from becoming gun owners.
It's also done to pander for votes from the soccer moms and gentle flower men from the burbs. I think the politicians know damn well a wait period won't do a damned thing.

I don't get it, why would they lose business? Assuming most of their business is from Maine..There are a lot of other options to purchase long guns, so I don't think the majority of their business is from out of staters.

If you live in Maine and that law passed, every store will be like that. What are your options as a Maine resident to purchase firearms?

Legally, no matter what you do you still have a 3 days until you can pick up your weapon so you can plan your murder spree better.

"Assuming most of their business is from Maine"

A great deal of their business is from out of state. It's less than a mile from the nh line and 2 minutes off 95. Many many long guns are purchased by out of staters cash and carry legally. I've personally purchased at least 10 long guns there just because I stopped in on my way north and saw a decent deal. Once that law passes those casual purchases won't happen because I'd have to go back again to pick it up. Kitterry is also very different from other used gun dealers because of their 30 Day guarantee on USED guns. If the used gun doesn't work properly you have 30 days to bring it back and they will repair it or give you store credit in return. Who else does that?

They will lose a shit ton of weekend out of statw sales cuz folks won't want to come back to pick up the gun.

It's also done to pander for votes from the soccer moms and gentle flower men from the burbs. I think the politicians know damn well a wait period won't do a damned thing.
it's not about the votes. it's foreign actors and other anti-Americans wanting Americans to be disarmed against the pieces of shit they're importing to kill us. the push to gun grab isn't going to end up on a ballot, it's going to look more and more like the ATF making up "rules" that are functionally laws.

Last edited:

Because there are deals to be had.
Ruger Mark IV Hunter has an MSRP of $999.00 That's w/plastic case and 2 mags
Gun Broker sales range from $631.00 cardboard box one mag, to $819.99 no mention of box or number of mags. All these were the same Hunter model, stainless, with basic wood grip, fluted barrel, and fiber optic sights.
At KTP on a "Ruger Day" I paid $275 for the same model in plastic case with 2 mags, and got a store credit that covered a couple more mags. And I would have bought a target model too, but they were sold out. People were lining up for the Rugers, I'm sure some were just flipped. KTP was limiting per person sales.
I won't make a trip for it, but if I'm going I'll also go through their bin of used mags, can usually get a few S&W 59 or 39 series mags, Barretta 92 mags are also common, and I scored a couple Walther PP mags too. Hard to beat that 10-15 dollar price.
So there are times going there makes a lot of sense.

Minus a special event I would go there for a new gun, but I will always stop in if I'm already in the area. That will change if they put in a wait.

Because there are deals to be had.
Ruger Mark IV Hunter has an MSRP of $999.00 That's w/plastic case and 2 mags
Gun Broker sales range from $631.00 cardboard box one mag, to $819.99 no mention of box or number of mags. All these were the same Hunter model, stainless, with basic wood grip, fluted barrel, and fiber optic sights.
At KTP on a "Ruger Day" I paid $275 for the same model in plastic case with 2 mags, and got a store credit that covered a couple more mags. And I would have bought a target model too, but they were sold out. People were lining up for the Rugers, I'm sure some were just flipped. KTP was limiting per person sales.
I won't make a trip for it, but if I'm going I'll also go through their bin of used mags, can usually get a few S&W 59 or 39 series mags, Barretta 92 mags are also common, and I scored a couple Walther PP mags too. Hard to beat that 10-15 dollar price.
So there are times going there makes a lot of sense.

Minus a special event I would go there for a new gun, but I will always stop in if I'm already in the area. That will change if they put in a wait.

Shit, that's a killer deal congrats!

I'm willing to bet you would have waited 3 days to pick it up as well :)

KTP is trash now. Everything is expensive AF (outside of the ocasional gun deal).

Last edited:
Since NH residents are taking delivery of the item within NH, I would think they'd be exempt from paying Maine sales tax.
On handguns, since they are being transferred out of state, they don't collect it. On rifles, they collect it but give you a "gift card" for a similar value of the tax ($25, $50). My last rifle was from there. They are 25 miles one way. With most of it being back roads, not really convenient when I have to spend my weekend catching up on everything from the week. Occasionally I'll stop to see if they have a certain ammo I need that can't be found locally. If there's a 3 day wait, it won't be worth the trip.
I've bought more than a few guns at KTP. When you buy at KTP as a NH resident, they do not charge you sales tax, even though you pay at the counter in Maine. They probably classify it as an order shipped to NH.
Tax collected. Gift card issued for the tax amount.

Once in a while they had a decent price. Rare, but it happens.

NH roads running East-West aren't super-highways and tend to be slow going. I'm probably 75+ minutes from KTP and unless there is another reason to head in that direction, I don't go there.

Getting in and out of KTP has never been an issue every time I ever went year round.
“Go all the way up to KTP” is a joke. Right? We all know you could almost hit it with a rock from the state line. 😂

Do they still have the "NH sales office", the old rental car place they would do gun deals at to avoid the sales tax. I bought a nice shotgun, took delivery at the "NH store" and saved the sales tax, but that was 8-10 years ago

Do they still have the "NH sales office", the old rental car place they would do gun deals at to avoid the sales tax. I bought a nice shotgun, took delivery at the "NH store" and saved the sales tax, but that was 8-10 years ago
For long gun purchases they give you a ktp gift card equal to the sales tax on yhe gun.

It is about 25 minutes away and not that far out of my way coming from work.
I am lefthanded and usually find something I like. Also they have ammo that they take in when someone trades/sells
a gun and I can find some hard to find ammo sometimes (260 rem, 375 win) and others cheaper than normal pricing.

KTP used to have a "sales" place in NH so they could transfer handguns to NH residents. Shop in the store, then meet at the NH location to complete the sale for legal purposes.

Not sure if that is still there or not, and it's likely not big enough to be a replacement gun location.

That was a tiny 10x10 room in a tiny plaza (next to Seacoast Lock) just beyond the SML bridge . It was an option for NH residents to avoid ME sales tax , and allowed "cash and carry " same visit . No way that KTP could provide volume sales from that NH location.

Last edited:

They do a lot of trade volume. Decent prices for trades if you take the store credit or buy something else there while your there. Ive done a safe clean or two there and traded archery stuff as
well and its not that bad. Many times better than what you will get here, without a lot of bs.

Ton of Ma**h***s shop there and they aren't going to do a 3 day wait, because they are up there for a day at the beach or shopping with their wife. No one is gonna want to come back.

There are no good deals there unless they have had the gun sitting forever.......then you will get a good deal. The last overage they had as well, they had a one day 15% off sale on guns.....that was a good deal as well. Other than that, your paying high retail, because of their trade model. Typically its best to just take store cred, then wait til something is marked down, and you get a decent trade and a good deal on what you buy.

They do a lot of trade volume. Decent prices for trades if you take the store credit or buy something else there while your there. Ive done a safe clean or two there and traded archery stuff as
well and its not that bad. Many times better than what you will get here, without a lot of bs.

Ton of Ma**h***s shop there and they aren't going to do a 3 day wait, because they are up there for a day at the beach or shopping with their wife. No one is gonna want to come back.

There are no good deals there unless they have had the gun sitting forever.......then you will get a good deal. The last overage they had as well, they had a one day 15% off sale on guns.....that was a good deal as well. Other than that, your paying high retail, because of their trade model. Typically its best to just take store cred, then wait til something is marked down, and you get a decent trade and a good deal on what you buy.
do they take bow trade ins, I have done rifle trade ins but not bows.

One thing I learned is to never accept the price on the sales tag when it comes to used guns. I always ask if that's the best deal they have on the firearm. The sales guy goes to the trade in counter, they look at the documentation and then tell you if they can do better. I've bought several guns from there over the years and they didn't knock off any additional money on one rifle that was too new in inventory. Otherwise I've saved a good amount of money on each transaction just by asking. Skinflinting? Eh, it's debatable. I just enjoy the haggle.

3 years ago I picked up a mis marked lihhlty used new model a5 hunter....it was on the rack for $465. New those go 1300 or more. They honored the price. THAT was a bargain.

do they take bow trade ins, I have done rifle trade ins but not bows.
Yes.....they will take recurves in good condition, with a string..... but don't expect a lot of $$. Ive traded many 5 dollar yard sale bears that I've cleaned and retuned up, with strings and stuff for 150 dollars.

Old compounds....might as well keep it, they don't want them.

Newer 2-4 year old bows they are OK with......

Typically, they drop prices on new bows and close them out. That's what I buy from them, then I'll trade it for another closeout 2 years down the road....many times its only a couple hundred dollars.

Which if I had to put a new string and cables on the older bow, that's what it would cost me. I never trade with any accessories on. I reuse them on the newer bow...as Im set with what I use for hunting....simple and easy.

3 years ago I picked up a mis marked lihhlty used new model a5 hunter....it was on the rack for $465. New those go 1300 or more. They honored the price. THAT was a bargain.
Yeah.....that's just luck.....like the 230 dollar pre 64 Winchester 94 in 90% condition I bought at Cabelas......just some clown mismarking guns.

Or when i went in to buy a case of skeet shells at Cabelas they had the whole cases marked at 10.99. They had to honor it......and ask me how many cases I was going to buy. I could have said the whole pallet....but didn't.....I said I want 3 cases......and the guy standing there to remark them up to 109.99......breathed a sigh of relief because he probably would have lost his job that day if I took the whole skid.

I would never expect something like that...but once and a while I'll go in there and see a gun that's a few hundred off what it should be new.

I've been hitting up KTP since the mid 70s. A lot has changed since then but I still go there when passing by. First trip in the spring I'll get a Milfoil sticker for the boat and a fishing license. My wife will go through and buy stuff also. Most of the time also hit up Bob's Clam Shack for some food. Every now and then I'll pick up a used rifle or shotgun. It won't be the same if they close down or move however I blame the people of Maine. They keep voting in the moonbats that are causing the problems.

Yeah.....that's just luck.....like the 230 dollar pre 64 Winchester 94 in 90% condition I bought at Cabelas......just some clown mismarking guns.

Or when i went in to buy a case of skeet shells at Cabelas they had the whole cases marked at 10.99. They had to honor it......and ask me how many cases I was going to buy. I could have said the whole pallet....but didn't.....I said I want 3 cases......and the guy standing there to remark them up to 109.99......breathed a sigh of relief because he probably would have lost his job that day if I took the whole skid.

I would never expect something like that...but once and a while I'll go in there and see a gun that's a few hundred off what it should be new.
Yes it was dumb luck. But....if that happened at a small gun shop I doubt they'd let you walk out with it at the mis marked price.

Yes it was dumb luck. But....if that happened at a small gun shop I doubt they'd let you walk out with it at the mis marked price.
Nope.....they wouldn't. KTP has very good customer service for the most part now......especially phone sales.

At times the counter service in the past had been suspect....but with the deli tickets believe it or not its actually improved.

At least your not waiting behind some Boomer Mainah telling hunting stories while he finger f***s a gun he isn't going to buy, or some counter help person who hates Ma**h***s and wants to ignore them, and just keeps talking to his buddy while your sitting waiting quietly.

Back
Top Bottom