What's acceptable Secure Storage for gun safes, guns and ammo in MA when in moving transition for an extended period of time?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Hey Everyone. We'll the move to Plymouth is picking up speed and we've put a deposit down on some new construction in the area. There is though a 6-9 month period between when we move and when the new home will be ready. As such we are resigned to move into a small apartment for the short timeframe. We've selected an apartment already and will be looking to move into it in the next month or two. The problem is what do I do with my gun safes and ammo cabinets. They can't go into the apartment. I personally think a storage space in one of those lot area is a bad idea, but to be honest I'm not sure what is acceptable and what isn't when it comes to the whacky state. Like I said I wouldn't be comfortable leaving them in a self storage location unless I absolutely had no other choice. Plus I'd need to contract with a mover like Eastern Security to move them to a temporary space and then to the permanent space once its done.

Any recommendations on where is a good place to temporarily store these items while in transition? Any recommendations at all? Not finding much online about it so open to any suggestions at this point.

Thanks!

Was in a similar situation a couple of years ago. Used a large wheeled Knaack job box for firearms and a small Lowes job box for ammo stored in my attached garage at the rental. I kept them locked and made them effectively immovable while in the rental. That was the only compromise I was comfortable with - did not want to use an off site storage option.

You can get gun cabinets and put them in the apartment. Light, cheap, meet storage requirements.

The heavy, empty safe can go to a storage unit.

You can save on some space by putting all the handguns in rifle cases. A couple of rifle cases can hold at least 15-20 handguns each.

A bunch of gun cabinets in the bedroom won't look "pretty" but who cares, it is just a few months until you move.

The other option is to put the safe in a friend or family member garage.

I've stored things in storage units before and I've been comfortable. Just make sure the facility is in a decent area and ones that have someone living on site is even better. Put a couple of locks on the door and you should be fine. The biggest part to worry about is temp/humidity - or if they have indoor units, then even better.

Last edited:
I was in same position over a 2-year gut renovation. I chose to put (almost) everything at Dave's house where I can access them for a weekend range trip, while they live in the climate control comfort and security of his basement. Of course, I kept a carry/night-stand pistol and it has been adequate in the meantime.

Who's Dave? He's (properly licensed) friend. I bet you have one too, but maybe he has a different name?

You can get gun cabinets and put them in the apartment. Light, cheap, meet storage requirements.

The heavy, empty safe can go to a storage unit.

You can save on some space by putting all the handguns in rifle cases. A couple of rifle cases can hold at least 15-20 handguns each.

A bunch of gun cabinets in the bedroom won't look "pretty" but who cares, it is just a few months until you move.

The other option is to put the safe in a friend or family member garage.
This seems like a solid plan, and I’m sure the cheap light cabinets will come in handy at the new house when you’re settled in for ammo tools etc

I store non EBR Long guns with trigger locks in gun socks in the eaves of my 3rd floor gun room.

A licensed family member or a very very close friend who's licensed.

Me personally I'd go with a close family member, one who is financially stable that won't get evicted or house repossessed.

I wouldn't give them the combos or keys, and probably keep one with me for personal protection

Secure offsite storage. I put everything into black totes and labeled them kitchen/bathroom/kids books and put a bunch of other random crap in there too like lamps and bookshelves and shit. Never had a problem.

Can op rent a storage unit in NH and keep his guns there? Am not sure if it legal to keep guns in in rental storage unit down here in ma.

Let the po hold them, safe and effective
Plymouth is great, they held my buds guns for 16 months after his felony, he assumed they were gone but they called him and said bring someone with an LTC and we will xfer them, otherwise they are going to BW

They gave me the EBR he was jammed up for having as an add on charge

This seems like a solid plan, and I’m sure the cheap light cabinets will come in handy at the new house when you’re settled in for ammo tools etc

I store non EBR Long guns with trigger locks in gun socks in the eaves of my 3rd floor gun room.
Even if he doesn't want the cabinets.
Let's say they cost $200 (guessing).
Buy a few for $200 each, use them for 9 months, sell them on NES for $150. Done.

Still cheaper than paying $150-200 per month for a storage unit and worrying about the guns.

I purchased a bunch of cheap $30 rifle cases form Amazon to move guns. I see it as a moving expense and the cases are now empty and will be used the next time I move.

Another idea to save space is to separate the actions from uppers. Only store the actions in a safe and throw the uppers in a box. For ARs this is easy. For a bolt action, he could remove the bolt, put a cheap trigger lock (for extra piece of mind) and keep it in a box or remove the stocks, keep the stocks in a box (or storage) ans the barreleld action in the safe. Bubble wrap it so you can store several rifles on top of each other without scratching them. I moved 6 Mauser rifles this way using one rifle case and one box. Took the stocks off, threw them in a box. The barreled actions all fit nice next to each other in one case.

Last edited:
Your best bet is a licensed friend.

A licensed family member or a very very close friend who's licensed.

Me personally I'd go with a close family member, one who is financially stable that won't get evicted or house repossessed.

I wouldn't give them the combos or keys, and probably keep one with me for personal protection

No need for the friend to have a license if he doesn't have access to the guns.

The big problem would be remembering what bolt came out of what rifle..... That could take a while to remember and figure out.
You have problems, I have solutions ...

Masking tape with a number on the bolt and masking tape with a number on the rifle.

Blue masking tape won't damage the finish. If you are worried, tie a small tag to it.

Next problem ...

I had a climate controlled storage unit in CT for 8 years. Gun safe, and ammo cabinet in it, along with everything else that I didn't want to leave in my camper over the winter.

Moved stuff in/out discreetly and never let anyone other than a few close friends know what was in the unit.

I chose the unit fairly carefully. It was reasonably close to the campground, had secured gate, well lit lot, video for the last 30 days available, and I chose a unit that could only be accessed from within the secured building. More pain than simply pulling truck up and rolling door up, but more secure and more discreet.

Cost me about 225 per month, which just became a line item in my budget. Part of the cost to me of having a home in GA and a camper in CT.

The big problem would be remembering what bolt came out of what rifle..... That could take a while to remember and figure out.

Go to Whole foods or any other place that sells bulk food.
Grab "enough" of those super wide twist ties you can write on. (two per gun)
Write something unique on a pair of ties, put one on the trigger guard, the other on the bolt.

I use this trick whenever I'm working on an engine that has a shit-ton of vacuum lines that I know I'd mess up if I didn't label them.

Back
Top Bottom