1-day course in MA

jmjkd is going to donate a good portion from the proceeds of the class from the NES members that attend.

I will be doing another one in the mountains of VT in the fall. This is my annual seminar with guest instructor’s demonstrations on crude smithing for improvised knives & sheaths, pracord knots/braids, camp security with self defense in addition herbal remedies/saves and balms w/more detailed primitive skills, making traps and so fourth. I will post something later this summer. or go to 123survive and leave your e-mail I will e-mail you the coming events. Thanks for inquiring.
Joe Maffei

I will be doing another one in the mountains of VT in the fall. This is my annual seminar with guest instructor’s demonstrations on crude smithing for improvised knives & sheaths, pracord knots/braids, camp security with self defense in addition herbal remedies/saves and balms w/more detailed primitive skills, making traps and so fourth. I will post something later this summer. or go to 123survive and leave your e-mail I will e-mail you the coming events. Thanks for inquiring.
Joe Maffei

i will also be out of town for the OP one but would love to have more info on this one and will absolutely sign up for this.

So this class was today.

My after report:

This is a great class for a beginner who has barely ever even been in the woods. Definitely good for someone interested in doing nature walks, even a bit of camping. This is definitely a very intro level course.

The pros:
Joe spent a bunch of time identifying native plants that have uses for Medicinal and Eating purposes. His concepts of 2-1, ITEM were definitely interesting, and while things I understood, nothing I had heard in a form like that before. My biggest reason for taking this was for my wife, who had never really done anything "outdoorsy" and was interested in seeing if she might like something like this. For the money(55$ for the two of us for 4 hours) it was a great deal.

The cons:
There was definitely the typical "tacticool" guy there. He put me off with his "commie/Soviet Union" cracks. I'm surprised he didn't start blaming it on the jews(i don't know what "it" would have been). This is in no way Joe's fault, and does not reflect negatively on his class. Just these types of people annoy me.
Of the pack that we "packed" it woudl have been nice to utilize every item. A whistle was asked for but not used, same with a flashlight(though I understand that it was daytime)
I also would have loved to have started a fire. I've done it, but my wife would have enjoyed doing it on her own. Oh well, next time:)

Overall I give the class an 8 out of 10.

Thank you to Leo, Gene and Eric from NES who attended this course it was great to meet you guys. I apologies for any offending comments made by any group member, .
there’s always ONE ….:( ……..Anyway
The people in the group were awesome, asked good questions, took consistent notes, and they all started to develop the correct mind set IMHO by the middle of the course.. I was very proud and happy to see the group coming together as a team and towards the end when I would ask a member a question such as, what is this plant again? or why is this a good place for a sustainable camp site? each individual would answer the same, letting me know they understand how, when, and why they prioritized the way they did and formed a solid unit as a team.
This basic 4hr intro course was just enough for the level of this group. I would be comfortable to say everyone excluding the young children would be able to attend a specific hands-on work shop where one aspect such as Fire building where individually they would develop and practice this skill.
All in all I personally had a good day with these guys. Thanks to all.
Joe Maffei.
Derek….you have mail…:)

Back
Top Bottom