10mm reloads

peterk123

NES Member
I'm not seeing anything but I figured I have you guys look at this since most of you are more experienced than I when it comes to identifying pressure signs.

I'm chronoing at an average of 1250 fps. 1270 was the highest. Compared to my HSM bear load factory load that was just 1041 fps. No wonder they felt like nothing to shoot!

20240517_161113.jpg 20240517_161059.jpg

This is in a G20, correct? Even with a nice aftermarket KKM barrel, I'd back off quite a bit.

Think about how different powders will have various velocities at max load. Some get beyond 1200 fps easier than others. What powder was that? It's not a 1250 fps powder out of your gun, for sure.

This is in a G20, correct? Even with a nice aftermarket KKM barrel, I'd back off quite a bit.

Think about how different powders will have various velocities at max load. Some get beyond 1200 fps easier than others. What powder was that? It's not a 1250 fps powder out of your gun, for sure.
Thanks. I was wondering if that may be an issue. It's the g20, all stock. I worked up to 8.5 grains of Longshot. I'm never sure if catering is a true sign of pressure issues.

Thanks. I was wondering if that may be an issue. It's the g20, all stock. I worked up to 8.5 grains of Longshot. I'm never sure if catering is a true sign of pressure issues.
The primer is the first thing to look at when firing any reloads. It is going to readily tell you that you're getting into an excessive pressure zone.
Some primer cups are harder than others also and may not exhibit pressure signs as easily but they will eventually if you keep increasing the powder charge.

If I back off a full grain I'm getting 1160 fps. @Mountain ,I believe you are loading for 10mm. What are you getting for results? My loads are with 180 grain coated lead bullets.
I'll send you a PM because it's a fairly hot load but with top quality brass and is sent down a KKM barrel. I worked my way up VERY carefully and have no craters with CCI primers. I do not recommend it excepting duplicate conditions and of course it is reached carefully.

I use Bluedot which no one seems to have right now but Longshot is a good choice. I'd back off cause those primers don't look very good. I don't know if a Glock is tougher than a 1911 but you're probably beating it up.
I have some Blue Dot and like it. Somehow I gravitated to Power Pistol for the full throttle velocity and I was getting very consistent chrono data from it. Supposedly both of these are flashy but I don't notice it any worse than other old favorite powders.

BE-86 has a following for 10mm too. It's supposedly a flash suppressed Power Pistol. Power Pistol is a derivative of Bullseye, which I really like for 38 wadcutters and may use for 45 ACP as well.

I have some Blue Dot and like it. Somehow I gravitated to Power Pistol for the full throttle velocity and I was getting very consistent chrono data from it. Supposedly both of these are flashy but I don't notice it any worse than other old favorite powders.

BE-86 has a following for 10mm too. It's supposedly a flash suppressed Power Pistol. Power Pistol is a derivative of Bullseye, which I really like for 38 wadcutters and may use for 45 ACP as well.
BE86 is my favorite powder for 9mm. It's all I use. I have about 8 pounds of it lying around.

I am going to back down on the Longshot, but will also try BE86.

I don't understand why my primers are showing pressure signs. The hodgen site is stating max load at 8.4 grains.

But, my fps jumped quite a bit. So not sure what else is going on. I'm barely crimping. And my oal is 1.265. Bullet diameter is .401.

BE86 is my favorite powder for 9mm. It's all I use. I have about 8 pounds of it lying around.

I don't understand why my primers are showing pressure signs. The hodgen site is stating max load at 8.4 grains.

But, my fps jumped quite a bit. So not sure what else is going on. I'm barely crimping. And my oal is 1.265. Bullet diameter is .401.
Try lowering your charge and "taper crimping" a little more.

Have you double and triple checked you powder charge on an accurate scale?

Try lowering your charge and "taper crimping" a little more.

Have you double and triple checked you powder charge on an accurate scale?
I did. I run several cycles through the dropper before actually loading. And I use a beam scale to verify the load. And I use a powder cop die, although that is only good for major swings.

I will try a bit more crimp and lower charge. Thanks Pete

First Pic are my loads, knocked the grains .7gr and gave it a little more crimp. 1170 fps.

Second Pic are the factory loads coming in at 1140 fps.

I also picked up a bunch of 10mm brass at the range and most are looking quite similar.

Thoughts? Looking better? Seems like it's not catering, just liquifying a bit.

20240518_101917.jpg 20240518_101928.jpg

Keep in mind that as far as I know, Alliant lists the maximum charge weight for their data. My understanding is that you are supposed to start 10% below that. A bit different way to show load data in my opinion...

Caliber​

Bullet​

Case​

Minimum OAL
(inches)​

Bbl Length​

Primer​

Powder​

Charge Weight
(grains)​

Velocity
(fps)​

Notes​

10mm Auto165 gr Speer GDHPHornady1.2555Fed 150BE-8691,344
-​
10mm Auto155 FMJFederal1.255Fed 150BE-869.71,429
-​
10mm Auto155 gr JHPFederal1.255Fed 150BE-869.31,403
-​
10mm Auto165 gr JHPFederal1.255Fed 150BE-868.71,327
-​
10mm Auto180 FMJFederal1.255Fed 150BE-868.51,265
-​
10mm Auto180 gr JHPFederal1.255Fed 150BE-868.21,256
-​
10mm Auto190 JHPFederal1.255Fed 150BE-867.61,182
-​

First Pic are my loads, knocked the grains .7gr and gave it a little more crimp. 1170 fps.

Second Pic are the factory loads coming in at 1140 fps.

I also picked up a bunch of 10mm brass at the range and most are looking quite similar.

Thoughts? Looking better? Seems like it's not catering, just liquifying a bit.

View attachment 881797View attachment 881798
The two with the silver primers are factory? Usually you don't see brass color primers in reloads but you do in factory. In any case, the left one of the silver primers looks a little cratered but the primer does not look flattened. None are really that concerning to me- from either batch. Something else to keep in mind is that I think Glocks have quite a bit of tolerance around the firing pin, which makes it easier for a primer to 'crater'.

The two with the silver primers are factory? Usually you don't see brass color primers in reloads but you do in factory. In any case, the left one of the silver primers looks a little cratered but the primer does not look flattened. None are really that concerning to me- from either batch. Something else to keep in mind is that I think Glocks have quite a bit of tolerance around the firing pin, which makes it easier for a primer to 'crater'.
Learned something today after picking up some 10mm brass of the ground. Some manufacturers are using small pistol primers. WTF?

@Mountain, thanks for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom