• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10mm 180gr Plated HP for G40

Did'nt do a ton of research but had a buddy swinging by Grafs so I placed a quick order for him to pick up for me. Loading for 10mm in a Glock 40, bought 1K 180gr Berry's HP target bullets. Berrys says to keep fps under 1250. I'm not trying to make a hunting load, but don't want to powder puff it either.

Google foo says everything from zero problems to worst bullet ever. What says NES?

I've run thousands of 9mm and 45 plated bullets with no concerns but never really tried to drive them hard. I'm familiar with not over crimping a plated bullet and all that, just looking for others experience with this combo.

I have a great load for XTP's that I'd hunt with but I'm looking for a more economical option for plates and casual target shooting. I have all appropriate powders for a wide range of applications in 10mm,

I like Berry's bullets, but I've never tried to drive them much above the max velocity stated by them. They do make a 180gr thick plate for 10mm that is rated for 1500 fps, but it's a solid bullet.

I originally had interest in loading 180gr 10mm, but after seeing how good the 200gr XTP works I decided to stick with Berry's 200gr for target stuff as I'd have to go over max loads to exceed 1250 fps from the G40.

You might want to give the 200gr Berry's a try.

BTW, those hollow points you got will not expand, the Berry's "hybrid" hollow points will.

I like Berry's bullets, but I've never tried to drive them much above the max velocity stated by them. They do make a 180gr thick plate for 10mm that is rated for 1500 fps, but it's a solid bullet.

I originally had interest in loading 180gr 10mm, but after seeing how good the 200gr XTP works I decided to stick with Berry's 200gr for target stuff as I'd have to go over max loads to exceed 1250 fps from the G40.

You might want to give the 200gr Berry's a try.

BTW, those hollow points you got will not expand, the Berry's "hybrid" hollow points will.

I'm pretty new to the 10mm and this G40. Coming from a world of handgun hunting with specifically built hunting handguns, I was pretty disappointed in the Glocks accuracy. Given this, I realize that I'm limited to bow hunting distances with this G40. That said, I can't imagine 100-200fps being a deal breaker so I haven't really tried to max out the 10mm to its full potential. At the same time, I'm not trying to make popcorn farts either.

I was in a hurry, should have researched a little more. I shoot a bunch of XTP's in various calibers, but at their price point, I'd like something a little more economical for continued practice.

Back
Top Bottom